New rifle or not

slamminsalmon

We are headed to montana next fall for muleys and antelope. I currently have my 300rum and 280rem that I have a few loads worked up for. the 300rum I'm using 200gr AB's and doing very well out to 800yds with 3238 average muzzel vel. The 280 is just a basic a-bolt with no work done to it and it is a tack driver at 200yds I have shot it consistantly to 400. The loads I'm using for that are 140gr ab's at 2750 fps, 150gr bst at2730, and 160gr ab's at 2650fps.
So those shoot well but that little evil voice keeps telling me I need a new piece of hardware in the 25-06, 257 weatherby, or 6.5 norma range. If I did purchase a new one right now it would have to be a factory rifle as the budget doesnt allow for high end stuff right now. I also thought about trying some 150gr sciroccos through the 300rum. Any help is greatly appreciated. thank you.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You can certainly accomplish your hunting goals with what you have. If you want a new rifle and need an excuse, the fact that the old rifles shoot **** good is gonna destroy any the argument that you need a "better" rifle. :D

Looks like you have everything covered with that combo. If I would do anything I would get a medium varmint rig something like a 243. The 150s in the rum won't gain any range and would be explosive and damaging to precious meat. In my opinion you would lose all benefit of the RUM's performance and capacity with a bullet lighter than 200grns. I would look at heavier like the 215 hybrid, or even the 230grn which would be my preferred bullet for the .300 RUM.

Thanks guys. I didnt want to be over the top on the antelope, but I suppose with the right shot I wont loose too much meat. What 230 grainer for the 300 rum? I was thinking of trying the 210gr bergers but for elk I thought that would be way too much on deer or goats.

230grn. Berger hybrid BC .743 (advertised) I think they would be perfect for the RUM or the 30-378 Weatherby

We are headed to montana next fall for muleys and antelope. I currently have my 300rum and 280rem that I have a few loads worked up for. the 300rum I'm using 200gr AB's and doing very well out to 800yds with 3238 average muzzel vel. The 280 is just a basic a-bolt with no work done to it and it is a tack driver at 200yds I have shot it consistantly to 400. The loads I'm using for that are 140gr ab's at 2750 fps, 150gr bst at2730, and 160gr ab's at 2650fps.
So those shoot well but that little evil voice keeps telling me I need a new piece of hardware in the 25-06, 257 weatherby, or 6.5 norma range. If I did purchase a new one right now it would have to be a factory rifle as the budget doesnt allow for high end stuff right now. I also thought about trying some 150gr sciroccos through the 300rum. Any help is greatly appreciated. thank you.
Don't use the 150's in the Rum unless you want to blow everything up like prairie dogs.

What you have is more than adequate to get the job done but if you really want something in between I'd say go with the .260 Rem, .264wm, or the Nosler 26 if you really want a hotrod in the 6.5 class.

I'll be honest the thought of a .26 Nosler just makes me drool but I flat don't out am having a really hard time justifying having to load for a 14th caliber.

Man... Your setup is about perfect for just about any game choice you might desire... Unless you are going varmints and don't want fur damage. That little evil voice is probably familiar to most members here. Give in to the dark side... And buy another gun! They are a great investment and all have a place whether or not you have the game coverage you need currently. But beware... I've got 24 rifles and there's still many guns I'd like to own, either for their performance characteristics, or because I'm attracted to them for one reason or another. :D. Good thing I don't have the same issue with women, or my wife would have divorced me years ago!!!

With your 300rum and 200gr accubonds you should still have a velocity of 1900fps or so at 800 yards. Regular accubonds need 1800fps for proper expansion which you have plenty of especially on muleys. I dont think you should change a thing personally unless you feel the need to work up a new load or buy a new rifle.

Thanks guys. I didnt want to be over the top on the antelope, but I suppose with the right shot I wont loose too much meat. What 230 grainer for the 300 rum? I was thinking of trying the 210gr bergers but for elk I thought that would be way too much on deer or goats.
Being that I live here, I used to have a nice 55,000 acre antelope spot and trophy hunt the speed goats. I was having trouble read wind like across a ravine,no wind tucked behind ridge,things like that. Was using a 257 wby,cost me some big goats,so out came the 338 NM and wind not near as critical,just rib cage them.

I very much appreciate the help guys. I think I will stick with what I have and possibly toy with the berger hybrids a little, and just save up for a Nosler 26, and 338 edge to complete my rifle needs.

...Give in to the dark side... And buy another gun! ...
Give yourself to the Dark Side. Join me ......

Always choose another/a new/ more firearms. Only because you can. Investment doesn't matter, need doesn't matter, use doesn't matter. Desire and expression there of as a right does matter.

I very much appreciate the help guys. I think I will stick with what I have and possibly toy with the berger hybrids a little, and just save up for a Nosler 26, and 338 edge to complete my rifle needs.
Why would you choose those 2? You already have a big .30 caliber, you don't need a .338.

And also, why would you want a barrel-burner like a .26 Nosler? They get like 350-500 rounds of accurate barrel life? That's almost $1.00 per shot when you break down the the cost of the blank...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.