New rifle, mag range/scope recommendations

How do the NF SHV models compare to the NXS, any significant gains with the price difference? And might have to add another contender in, how about the NX8 series? Deffinately like some of the features of the two brands, MK5 locking turrets, etc. The 35mm Leup doesnt have nearly the choice of mounts/levels as opposed to the 30 or 34mm.
I've looked through a few shvs and the glass is terrible to my eyes..
I run the Leupold Backcountry lightweight rings on my 5-25, and Burris mountain lite rings on my 3.6-18.
There are plenty of 35mm bubble levels as well

At lower magnifications, the ffp are at a disadvantage unless they have illumination, but they are my favorite, mainly because dope is same regardless of magnification needed.

I've looked through a few shvs and the glass is terrible to my eyes..
I run the Leupold Backcountry lightweight rings on my 5-25, and Burris mountain lite rings on my 3.6-18.
There are plenty of 35mm bubble levels as well
What heights of rings are you running on the 2 different models. The backcountry in 35mm it looks like they only offer the high.

As per NF Customer Service, the glass in the SHV scopes is the same as the NXS scopes, so the SHV glass is plenty good. I have 2 SHV 5-20X56 scopes. The sight picture is very clear and sharp. For hunting, these are excellent scopes. If PRS is your game, then a ffp scope is what you need

Deffinately not trying to overthink things and believe I would be completely happy with SFP. Was looking for peoples experience with the non illum. FFP reticles in low power hunting scenarios. At the same token I dont want to drop a good amount of money on a 3-15 and wish I'd have gotten the higher range or vice versa. I have considered some of the Zeiss and I prefer the reticle options in the leup and NF.

There are times I wish my scopes were FFP but I am still buying SFP because (a) when hunting I hate having that big ball of twine in the middle of my picture when I am using my scope to search for game at low power, and (b) if target shooting I am usually shooting at max power where my reticle is synched to my turrets anyway, or if mirage or something I can dial to half of max power and keep in mind that my reticle marks subtend DOUBLE what they say. I know some people just can't stand the "half/double" deal but I hate the ball of twine worse.

A lot of people are PERFECTLY happy with 3-15 for what you are talking about. However, for just one ounce more (than a 3-15x50 NXS) and a couple of hundred dollars (usually, talking "used" here) I can have a 5.5-22x50 NXS. The additional power is much appreciated when shooting at long range (600 - 1,000 yds). (Not that 15 doesn't work just fine!)

I have done side-by-side comparisons of NXS's to comparably priced Leupolds a few times and the Leup's have not been quite as sharp in clarity (even after adjusting the ocular) UNLESS you get into Leupold's HD glass, which is better than NXS (comparable to ATACR glass) but costs a lot.

The glass in SHV's is indeed the same as in NXS's -- the SHV's are just not quite as rugged. You pays your money and you takes your chances, as they say. I usually go with NXS for hunting (where weight is not too big a concern) and long-range steel, and ATACR for short-walk varminting.

I would say find a good used NSX 5.5-22x50 with low-speed turrets and the NP-R1 or NP-R2 reticle and live happily ever after. They practically give those away. ;)

EDIT: Wow, I just blew your avatar up said, "Dang, that's a blacktail on Kodiak!" Then I saw you live there. If THAT's the kind of hunting you are doing I'd go with Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40. Those climbs up from the beach are a killer! Done it many, many times.

Last edited:
Check out sightron si iii. The glass is as good as nxs. I have both. Eye box is a tad better on the nxs. The dial is repeatable and huge range of adjustment. I would get the illuminated reticle as they are a little thin. But thin is good for long range. If I was hunting more. Sfp all the way. Ranging with the reticle takes practice and it is always based on a known size of the object you ranging. Which is rarely available when hunting. Use a range finder. Ffp gets small on low power and is lost when daylight is minimal. To me 3-something is a better hunting scope because you are hunting...your game gets a vote on when and how far it presents itself. 5x @ 20 yards is a lot of mag on a big animal. If you're only hunting small game in the middle of the day on tundra at long distance the higher mag may be required. 15x at 1000 is not a problem. You just have to be able to shoot. FWIW

All that said. It is cool to have the big mag scopes. Tactical ones are even cooler. That is the reason to build a hunting rifles and tactical rifles

Maybe a bit more information is in order. So I'm building a rifle currently to play around more with long range shooting. Bighorn Origin short, 7mm-08, 24 in. Carbon Six Medium profile and will sit in an AG Alpine Hunter. This will be a dual purpose rifle for range work and hunting. And not super light by any means, my goal was to keep this rifle all up at around 10.5 LBS or less. Why 7mm-08 you ask, well I have 4 already(all factory) so no new components, dies, etc. And it really doesnt give up much to the creed, 260, or x47. And due to limitations of the SA cartridges I really dont see much use past 1200 yds. Or so. I was thinking the 3-15 range might be a better fir for this style rifle but wanted to gather others experiences.

There are times I wish my scopes were FFP but I am still buying SFP because (a) when hunting I hate having that big ball of twine in the middle of my picture when I am using my scope to search for game at low power, and (b) if target shooting I am usually shooting at max power where my reticle is synched to my turrets anyway, or if mirage or something I can dial to half of max power and keep in mind that my reticle marks subtend DOUBLE what they say. I know some people just can't stand the "half/double" deal but I hate the ball of twine worse.

A lot of people are PERFECTLY happy with 3-15 for what you are talking about. However, for just one ounce more (than a 3-15x50 NXS) and a couple of hundred dollars (usually, talking "used" here) I can have a 5.5-22x50 NXS. The additional power is much appreciated when shooting at long range (600 - 1,000 yds). (Not that 15 doesn't work just fine!)

I have done side-by-side comparisons of NXS's to comparably priced Leupolds a few times and the Leup's have not been quite as sharp in clarity (even after adjusting the ocular) UNLESS you get into Leupold's HD glass, which is better than NXS (comparable to ATACR glass) but costs a lot.

The glass in SHV's is indeed the same as in NXS's -- the SHV's are just not quite as rugged. You pays your money and you takes your chances, as they say. I usually go with NXS for hunting (where weight is not too big a concern) and long-range steel, and ATACR for short-walk varminting.

I would say find a good used NSX 5.5-22x50 with low-speed turrets and the NP-R1 or NP-R2 reticle and live happily ever after. They practically give those away. ;)

EDIT: Wow, I just blew your avatar up said, "Dang, that's a blacktail on Kodiak!" Then I saw you live there. If THAT's the kind of hunting you are doing I'd go with Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40. Those climbs up from the beach are a killer! Done it many, many times.
Yup, that sure is a blacktail from Kodiak. This optic and build will fill a little different niche and is more geared toward medium/long distance. For purely hunting rifles I have ones that will be much lighter, and one of my favorites for these little deer is the Rem M7 7mm-08 with 2-7x33 Leup.

Shooting 'small' stuff at a grand with 3-15? Good luck. You can't hit what you can't see. You won't see that small of a magnification on the line at a 1000 match. Maybe those guys know something?

Shooting 'small' stuff at a grand with 3-15? Good luck. You can't hit what you can't see. You won't see that small of a magnification on the line at a 1000 match. Maybe those guys know something?
Not really looking to hit "small" stuff at 1k, a 10 or 12" plate of steel sure. Not looking to shoot BR. And use as a hunting rifle, due to cartridge selection I would say my personal limit would be somewhere around 700 for deer sized game. And since it will be a dual purpose rifle weight is somewhat of a consideration. Personally, i would like to keep scope weight 32 oz.. ish or less.

Not really looking to hit "small" stuff at 1k, a 10 or 12" plate of steel sure. Not looking to shoot BR. And use as a hunting rifle, due to cartridge selection I would say my personal limit would be somewhere around 700 for deer sized game. And since it will be a dual purpose rifle weight is somewhat of a consideration. Personally, i would like to keep scope weight 32 oz.. ish or less.
Magnification is important, but I believe reticle size is equally if not more important than magnification at those distances. Just my opinion. Oh, and repeatability when running those turrets up and down. Good luck with your choice!

For what it's worth, we are building similar rifles, but mine is going on a 6.5 creed. I am putting 3-12 lrhs that is en route. I don't know if you've considered it or not, but figured I'd throw it out there. There is a 4.5-18 option too. The lrts can be found for some screaming deals (cameralandny)

I can't compare to the rest but I have 2 SHV's and Im super happy with them. and I have shot a 12"w x 24"h plate at 1400 yds with my 4.5x14 shv. Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts