New rifle, mag range/scope recommendations

CoastalShooter907

So guys having a new 7mm-08 built. Now the decision for an optic. Mostly have it down to 4 or 5 scopes, and looking to see people's experiences. The rifle will be mainly used for hunting and steel to 1k. Scopes I'm considering are the MK5HD 3.6-18, and 5-25, NF NXS 3-15, and SHV 4-14F1 and 5-20. For those that have the lower power scopes have you found the power lacking for steel at 1K? I realize 2 of these are FFP optics, and I'm thinking SFP will suit my needs better. For those that have the FFP models how visible are the articles at low power. Unfortunately my location does not allow me to view any of these models prior to purchase so any input is appreciated. And I realize a few are pretty significantly higher in price but my job allows a pretty good discount.

I have a 3.6-18 and a 5-25 mk5, they're awesome especially if you get the mil/ leo discount.
You won't find a better scope for that price.
The reticle is usable on its lowest setting, I like to carry it on 7 power though since the eye box is so good.
I have noticed that the 5-25 has better clarity than the 3.6-18, and the eye box is better.
Both are great, if you're looking for lighter and compact get the 3.6, if you're doing more target shooting beyond 1k the 5-25 is really solid

I have a 3.6-18 and a 5-25 mk5, they're awesome especially if you get the mil/ leo discount.
You won't find a better scope for that price.
The reticle is usable on its lowest setting, I like to carry it on 7 power though since the eye box is so good.
I have noticed that the 5-25 has better clarity than the 3.6-18, and the eye box is better.
Both are great, if you're looking for lighter and compact get the 3.6, if you're doing more target shooting beyond 1k the 5-25 is really solid
Which reticles are you using? In either I would probably be looking at the PR-1 or the TMR. No preference really for me either MOA or MIL. I like the simplicity of those 2 and my kids will also be shooting it so the less busy the better.

I think if you have to ask you need to do more research and honestly, you won't know still until you try.

FFP MAIN advantage is using the reticle. It's something I do, so naturally id recommend it. There's some excellent shooters that do fine with SFP.

As far as mag range, it's asking for another knock down drag out debate. So I'll try to limit it with this. I spend most of time at 10-18 power. Today, I was cranked up to about 20 spotting my buddy making shots (hits) at 1k in 18 mph wind with hand written dope using a super sniper fixed 10x and some garbage stock dicks sporting goods rem 700 in .308.

My point is don't over think it. Somewhere in the middle of 5-25 range of magnification is most all people need for 1k and in to make hits on targets.

Deffinately not trying to overthink things and believe I would be completely happy with SFP. Was looking for peoples experience with the non illum. FFP reticles in low power hunting scenarios. At the same token I dont want to drop a good amount of money on a 3-15 and wish I'd have gotten the higher range or vice versa. I have considered some of the Zeiss and I prefer the reticle options in the leup and NF.

Pr-1 moa
Awesome reticle.
Personally I'd never go back to sfp, I like using my reticle to spot hits and misses at various power levels that alowe me to see impacts.

I think if you have to ask you need to do more research and honestly, you won't know still until you try.

FFP MAIN advantage is using the reticle. It's something I do, so naturally id recommend it. There's some excellent shooters that do fine with SFP.

As far as mag range, it's asking for another knock down drag out debate. So I'll try to limit it with this. I spend most of time at 10-18 power. Today, I was cranked up to about 20 spotting my buddy making shots (hits) at 1k in 18 mph wind with hand written dope using a super sniper fixed 10x and some garbage stock dicks sporting goods rem 700 in .308.

My point is don't over think it. Somewhere in the middle of 5-25 range of magnification is most all people need for 1k and in to make hits on targets.[/QUOTE]

Ditto!

If you can spot through your scope you can use the values on your reticle to see how many moa or mils the bullet impacted from the target.
That's what I figured you meant. I guess when I saw the word 'spot', i was thinking 'see'. Just wanted to clarify if someone was reading this thread and didn't fully understand FFP vs SFP

That's what I figured you meant. I guess when I saw the word 'spot', i was thinking 'see'. Just wanted to clarify if someone was reading this thread and didn't fully understand FFP vs SFP
Spotting relates to magnification, its part of being able to use your reticle which is why I really like ffp.
With a 24x sfp scope you'd have to be at Max power (which can make it really hard to track your shot) if you wanted to use your reticle, so yes I am saying that ffp helps with spotting hits and misses

^ As well as using the reticle to follow your wind call. Wind changes to much to to dial absolute. If you're low wind is 1.4 mils you're average 1.7 and high 2.0 mils, it behooves one to follow the wind pattern, even if you're favoring the higher wind.

How do the NF SHV models compare to the NXS, any significant gains with the price difference? And might have to add another contender in, how about the NX8 series? Deffinately like some of the features of the two brands, MK5 locking turrets, etc. The 35mm Leup doesnt have nearly the choice of mounts/levels as opposed to the 30 or 34mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.