recommendations for long range scope

Dr. John

I am currently designing my dream long range rifle. I will mostly use it for target and some hunting for whitetail/coyote/moose during seasons.

It will likely be a remington sendero in 338 ultra mag, mcmillan benchrest stock. shooting in the 400-1000 yard range.

what scope do you use? preferences?
I was thinking of a Leupold target in either the 35x, 40x or 45x.

I have used a leupold 6.5-20 on my 7mm mag before and liked it but feel that out to 1000 yards this will not do.

Personally, I find that 20-22x is outstanding for 1000 yard shooting and hunting. I use a NF 5.5-22x56 for 1k shooting and have used in the past a 40x I would NEVER go back to a scope with that much magnification. It magnifies everything like mirage, poor air quality ect... I find that with a 22x I get crystal clear images and can see 30 cal holes at 600 yards. I can see a 1/2" square at 1k with it. Most guys here will agree that a 20x will work very well to 1k. Some might not, but most will recomend around 20 or so.

yup.. what meichele said..

I have used scopes with higher power than 20X but when shooting at distance.. I have always dialed back to 20X or less...

unless it was very very early am and during that magical 45 min. when the world is perfect 59* 45% humidity dead calm and no mirage...
yeah like that happens often! Been there only a few times...

I'm with Ric--I took off a 12-42 NF and went back to the 5.5-22x56 NXS. Anything over 25X is wasted on big game. You probably won't use it as the air quality/mirage, etc. won't allow it.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.