New rifle help

Jpistolero02

I have most of my components ready for Mark Pharr to put together for me. I am torn between calibers. I am hung up on .308 or 6.5x47. I reload so I am not concerned as much about factory ammo. I would like this to be a little handier so probably in the 22" range and will be used for whitetail and long range plinking. Seems like every man should have a .308, but I am not sold on the performance past 500 yards. What do you guys think?

I shoot a .260 and a .308. Either caliber will make you happy. My .308 has a 20" barrel. I shoot 208 gr Amax's out of it and it will go out to 1k. The .260 is a joy to shoot; I shoot the 140 Amax and it is a long range caliber. Overall, if I could only have one, I think my .260 would win out. Your decision is a tough one but both calibers will suit your needs. Good luck.

I have most of my components ready for Mark Pharr to put together for me. I am torn between calibers. I am hung up on .308 or 6.5x47. I reload so I am not concerned as much about factory ammo. I would like this to be a little handier so probably in the 22" range and will be used for whitetail and long range plinking. Seems like every man should have a .308, but I am not sold on the performance past 500 yards. What do you guys think?

6.5x47 is winning more IBS 600's than the 308 for sure. If I was in your situation I would be more conflicted on whether I should go 6.5x284 or 6.5x47. I think the 284. Is long action. The 6mm BR and 6mm dashers are tearing up the competitions this year as well.

You are considering shots past 800 yards, and I habitually rule out the 308 past that distance. Yes it is possible to hit well past that, but your odds are higher that your bullet destabilizes once it transitions back through the pressure wave when it falls subsonic.

Shooters who don't have (or say they don't have it) this problem with destabilization could be firing a heavy bullet like a 210 berger with a custom fast twist barrel or not be good enough to notice the difference yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.