New Rifle comparison, please help

Id go with the 6.5 Creedmoor if i was you. My dad shoots one and i have one on order. Its a really fine cartridge. VERY low recoil and just plain fun to shoot. Its got plenty of hitting power for deer/antelope and bear. My dads Creed is my favorite coyote gun. totally devastates them. You said that you already have a 243 so why would you want a 25-06? I understand that the velocity is greater but at 500 yards and under you don't really need that much extra velocity for the animals that you will be shooting. And also with you reloading you dont have to worry about the selection of Creedmoor ammo. The 25 cal doesnt compare to the B.C of the 6.5. And also with the 6.5 you can load heavier bullets.

Id go with the 6.5 Creedmoor if i was you. My dad shoots one and i have one on order. Its a really fine cartridge. VERY low recoil and just plain fun to shoot. Its got plenty of hitting power for deer/antelope and bear. My dads Creed is my favorite coyote gun. totally devastates them. You said that you already have a 243 so why would you want a 25-06? I understand that the velocity is greater but at 500 yards and under you don't really need that much extra velocity for the animals that you will be shooting. And also with you reloading you dont have to worry about the selection of Creedmoor ammo. The 25 cal doesnt compare to the B.C of the 6.5. And also with the 6.5 you can load heavier bullets.

The 25-06 has always been on my want list but never on my have list. Yes I agree that the 243 and 25-06 are very close.
I continue to read and learn more about the Creedmore and am still very interested. I also have not ruled out the .257 Weatherby, although manageable, a bit more recoil that I am wanting.

The 25-06 has always been on my want list but never on my have list. Yes I agree that the 243 and 25-06 are very close.
I continue to read and learn more about the Creedmore and am still very interested. I also have not ruled out the .257 Weatherby, although manageable, a bit more recoil that I am wanting.

Dont get me wrong, i do like the 25-06. id like to get a varmint rifle chambered in one someday. Really can't go wrong with either caliber... i'm just a little bias to the 6.5 mm cartridges. Just boils down to personal preference.

A good muzzle brake (like a VAIS or Weatherby AccuBrake) on a .257 Wby and you will think you're shooting a .243 as far as recoil goes. A good brake turns a very capable and venerable caliber rifle, into an easily shootable pup.

.25-06 A.I. is also another favorite of mine. Building one of these at the moment. Can't wait to get it finished.

If you're gonna go with a 6.5....Go with a 6.5 Sherman. It will leave the Creedmoor in the dust.

A good muzzle brake (like a VAIS or Weatherby AccuBrake) on a .257 Wby and you will think you're shooting a .243 as far as recoil goes. A good brake turns a very capable and venerable caliber rifle, into an easily shootable pup.

.25-06 A.I. is also another favorite of mine. Building one of these at the moment. Can't wait to get it finished.

If you're gonna go with a 6.5....Go with a 6.5 Sherman. It will leave the Creedmoor in the dust.

Yeah and also kiss your barrel life goodbye...... also you have to fire form all your brass and good crap like that. Its easier for the average guy to do the Creedmoor. The Creedmoor would actually fit the bill nicely for what he said he would be doing. He don't really need anything bigger.

He also said that he wasn't custom building a rifle. He wanted something off the shelf. And last i knew you had to build a Sherman....... Their are plenty of good rifles that are on the shelf chambered in a Creedmoor.

260 is probably a better choice then the creed based on all the things mentioned. Talk about long barrel life, brass availability, blah blah blah.

Or a 6.5 - 284 is factory chambered, but ammo is not easy to get, really need to reload it.

260 is probably a better choice then the creed based on all the things mentioned. Talk about long barrel life, brass availability, blah blah blah.

Or a 6.5 - 284 is factory chambered, but ammo is not easy to get, really need to reload it.

Well I wouldn't say a "better" choice. Can't go wrong with either the 260 or the Creedmoor. And with Nosler making Creedmoor brass now, there really isn't really any reason not to get a Creedmoor.

I have my opinion and that is the chamber I would choose based on all the things you mention. You bring up excellent points and those points all favor the 260 considerably more than the creed. Brass for the 308, 7mmm08, 243, and 260 have been around for considerably long time. It is easy to work the brass into dang near any of the calibers. This alones make the decision based on brass an easy one to make. IF a guy decides to reload for it, 260 dies are available just about anywhere and every where. If you need new barrel the reamers are easy to find as well. Better choice, yeah, only choice, no.

I have my opinion and that is the chamber I would choose based on all the things you mention. You bring up excellent points and those points all favor the 260 considerably more than the creed. Brass for the 308, 7mmm08, 243, and 260 have been around for considerably long time. It is easy to work the brass into dang near any of the calibers. This alones make the decision based on brass an easy one to make. IF a guy decides to reload for it, 260 dies are available just about anywhere and every where. If you need new barrel the reamers are easy to find as well. Better choice, yeah, only choice, no.

Yes i agree 100%. But the brass is coming for the Creedmoor as its getting more popular..... The brass argument really seems to be the only substantial argument that people have for the 260 vs 6.5 Creedmoor. I would be tickled pink with either one. I personally think that they are at a draw when one weighs out the pros and cons. I don't believe one is any better than the other. The only thing i can see that the Creed has over the 260 is the capability to load your bullet at a longer length and still be able to fit it in a shot action magazine without substantial loss in velocity. But either one is an excellent choice.

The only thing i can see that the Creed has over the 260 is the capability to load your bullet at a longer length and still be able to fit it in a shot action magazine without substantial loss in velocity. But either one is an excellent choice.

This is why I shoot a Creedmoor. I can load 140 VLD's jammed into lands and they still fit in the mag.

This is why I shoot a Creedmoor. I can load 140 VLD's jammed into lands and they still fit in the mag.

+1 on that. That's really a great attribute to this cartridge and also why i shoot it as well. The brass issue isn't a big hang-up for me because i know that its coming. With Nosler making it, everyone else won't be far behind....

Last edited:
Interesting last few posts.

The .260 was never a thought but now may be. Could someone point me in the right direction of where I may find a good comparison / balistics, etc between the 260 and the Creed?

Also if I got a real wild hair and wanted a budget friendly build either in a 260 or 6.5 what actions could be used?

thanks for the info,

MB

PS relaoding isnt an issue

Played with a 260 in a savage LRP. Jamming 140s into the lands and fitting the mag is easy, if I recall I still have .25". I think I could easily jam a 160 Matrix to the lands and have not problem loading the mag.

Hornady has a decent site that shows ballastics for comparisons but you might look at Bergers Reloading data center as well. The thing you have to be careful about is what barrel is used for testing. I have seen some tests use a 24 and others a 26. That is not a fair comp. For example I see 6.5-284s frequently in a 24 and I see 260's in a 26. Velocities are not that far off in those configurations. My buddies LRP in 26" shoots a 140 at 2810 and my 6.5-284 is 2940 in a 24". I can bump it up to almost 3000 fps but I am pushing pressure pretty hard.

Acitons? You can do long or shot. It does not matter. The 260 and creed work well in a short. If you choose down the road you can do a Short Action Mag style 6.5 as well. For example a 6.5 Sherman Short will give you about 3200 FPS in a 140. Options are endless.