New Rifle comparison, please help

My 25-06 is a Savage 116. It is the gun that hooked me on Savage. It shoots .6 and .7 MOA groups at 300 yards. This is an off the shelf factory rifle. I would expect even better with the Creedmoor in 116.

After reading all of the threads in online forums about all of the problems with Remington now days (a sad thing); I just buy Savage. With the 116 you will get a a aluminum bedded stock (AccuStock) and the trigger that changed the industry and is the most copied and safest, trigger on the market (AccuTrigger). Don't be concerned about having the action blueprinted and laps lugged, not necessary with the Savage floating bolt head. You also get a button rifled barrel, instead of a cold hammer forged barrel. Just try to find any of this on a Remington... Just look at the new Remington model 783. They are actually using a copy of the accutrigger!!!!!

For the money you just cannot beat it. Some folks think they are ugly. That is a bit true, Remington does have more classic lines, etc. but the Savage is by no means that ugly. After you shoot one, you will see the beauty.

You will not be sorry with a 116.

Last edited:
In regards to the 25-06, I believe you have commented on another thread I started. You feel that you are not loosing anything with a 22" barrell vs 24"?
I have a 24" barrel stuck in my little brain that I NEED it on a 25-06....

But now I am really confused for that I made the mistake of shooting a few new Bows. To update my archery equipment I am looking close to $1000 for a bare bow!

New Bow or another rifle?

25-06 vs .257 vs 6.5 creedmore vs .......

I guess I have big wants and little wallet!

Cheers

In regards to the 25-06, I believe you have commented on another thread I started. You feel that you are not loosing anything with a 22" barrell vs 24"?

But now I am really confused for that I made the mistake of shooting a few new Bows. To update my archery equipment I am looking close to $1000 for a bare bow!

Cheers

Well with the 257 Weatherby will get you really flat trajectory out to about 500 yards (give or take). 25-06 doesn't really have much of anything over the 257 other than a little better barrel life. The Creedmoor gives you a much higher B.C. heavier bullet that is in a short action cartridge. Wont be as flat shooting as the 257 or 25-06 though. a 117 sst out of a 25-06 @ 3110 fps is dropping 38" and giving you 1028 foot lbs of energy @ 500 yards. The Creedmoor with a 120 A-max @ 2910 drops 41" and delivers yards

Cheers

Well with the 257 Weatherby will get you really flat trajectory out to about 500 yards (give or take). 25-06 doesn't really have much of anything over the 257 other than a little better barrel life. The Creedmoor gives you a much higher B.C. heavier bullet that is in a short action cartridge. Wont be as flat shooting as the 257 or 25-06 though. a 117 sst out of a 25-06 @ 3110 fps is dropping 38" and giving you 1028 foot lbs of energy @ 500 yards. The Creedmoor with a 120 A-max @ 2910 drops 41" and delivers 1065 foot lbs of energy@ 500 yards. or a 140 A-max dropping 45" and delivering 1237 foot lbs @ 500 yards. So id say the Creed definitely has the advantage over the 25-06. The 257 will be flatter than the 25-06 but i dont believe the 257 will have the energy a Creed will have. (it would be very close.) got all that of hornadys website. Plus with the Creed the short action will make it inherently more accurate. So which ever you want. If you want flat trajectory then get a 257. If you want energy get the Creed. Keep in mind that the recoil of the Creed is less than the 257.

Thanks again for you insite.
I am pretty much sold on the Creed.....until I looked at new bows.

Will the 22" barrel be more that adaquate for the creed for a light carry rifle?

Thanks again for you insite.
I am pretty much sold on the Creed.....until I looked at new bows.

Will the 22" barrel be more that adaquate for the creed for a light carry rifle?

O yes most definitely. Like i said, my dads is only a 22" and that's fine. Your only losing about 50-80 fps or so. All depends on the barrel. What kind of bows are you lookin at? Im a hoyt man myself.

O yes most definitely. Like i said, my dads is only a 22" and that's fine. Your only losing about 50-80 fps or so. All depends on the barrel. What kind of bows are you lookin at? Im a hoyt man myself.

Thanks Mr Creedmoor,
I can tell that you are passionate about the creedmor.
Bows, I made the mistake of shooting the New HOYT Carbon Spyder and the New HOYT FAKTOR>> hubba hubba!!!> not to change the subject. (gonna look at the G5 Prime too)

Thanks Mr Creedmoor,
I can tell that you are passionate about the creedmor.
Bows, I made the mistake of shooting the New HOYT Carbon Spyder and the New HOYT FAKTOR>> hubba hubba!!!> not to change the subject. (gonna look at the G5 Prime too)

Ya i do really like the Creed alot. Ya those are some nice bows....

6.5 Sherman is a great one...And, IMO, better than the Creedmoor.

Also, the 25-06 is a great round, too.

One of the best rounds I think there is for all of that you plan on using it for, is the .257 Weatherby. It is one of the best for whitetails and antelopes and plains game. But also makes a great coyote gun.
It is available in Vanguard Weatherby for under a grand and comes with moa warranty. Good buy alot of good features.