New Rifle Help

KyCarl

I want to build a new rifle this spring. Under Kentucky Elk law it has to be .270 Dia. or bigger.
And I want it to have factory ammo available. I have been thinking .280 AI But then I look at my 7 MM RM there is a lot of "overlap"? My hunting is less than 500 yards with most of it 200 or less.
Also considering a .300 PRC but again I have a 300 WM? I'm between a rock and a hard place...
Any ideas?

Last edited:
I want to build a new rifle this spring. Under Kentucky Elk law it has to be .270 Dia. or bigger.
And I want it to have factory ammo available. I have been thinking .280AI But then I look at my 7MMRM there is a lot of "overlap"? My hunting is less than 500 yards with most of it 200 or less.
Also considering a .300 PRC but again I have a 300WM? I'm between a rock and a hard place...
Any ideas?

Well if you don't want the overlap, it sounds like 270 win, 270 wsm, or jump to 300 win mag or bigger. If you're never going to shoot anything bigger than an elk I think the 270 wsm with berger EOLs would be pretty slick.

Wife said to build the 280 AI and sell or trade the 7MM?
You can never have too many rifles... Keep the 7mmRM (it's already paid for), and build the new rifle. Most women don't understand the whole gun thing, but occasionally you find one that does. I've gotten the whole "How many guns do you need?" business before. My answer is always "More..." :cool:

Or, just rebuild the 7mmRM with a new 1:8 barrel, and hop it up with some fancy new parts, and make a badass hunting rig. ;)

And I want it to have factory ammo available. I have been thinking .280 AI But then I look at my 7 MM RM there is a lot of "overlap"? My hunting is less than 500 yards with most of it 200 or less.
Also considering a .300 PRC but again I have a 300 WM? I'm between a rock and a hard place...
Any ideas?

You already have two excellent elk chambering. The .300 WM remains my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game uo to 1K yards.

If you just want to build a rifle for spring, that's a different story.

I know...30 Carbine is legal but my 6.5 X 284 isn't?.. Go Frankfort!
I thought about a big boomer like a 300 NM but it would probably just sit.
I really don't have a good place close to shoot it..

Last edited:
Well, the 300 WM is such a solid elk getter that you may just spend that cash on great boots or even days off from work to spend scouting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.