New Rifle Help

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by scarney19, Jun 22, 2018.

1. scarney19

scarney19 Member

Looking at getting a new rifle. In a toss up between the Weatherby Vangaurd Back Country and the Browning Hell’s Canyon Speed. Any suggestions, comments or concerns?

2. Mountain Sloth

Mountain Sloth Member

Never shot either but I like the way the Vanguard feels better than the browning.

3. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

The Weatherby-It has an accuracy warranty-how that works out is any bodies guess, but it comes with some expectation. The .257 Weatherby is available.

tomsd likes this.
  4. scarney19

scarney19 Member

Sorry forgot to mention this, but the rifle will be primarily used for hunting elk. So lots of hiking in mountains.

5. CMP70306

CMP70306 Well-Known Member

I would go with the browning, my dad has several and they are all light weight and all shooters.

6. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Browning all day long... They have now started offering several of their 7mm caliber rifles (in certain models) with a modern 1:8 twist...Which will allow you to shoot up to 200gr bullets for long range.

Without a doubt, other than the Remington 5R Milspec rifles, the Browning A-Bolts have always been the most accurate factory rifles I've owned.

tomsd and therifleman556 like this.
  7. Vortex!

Vortex! Well-Known Member

I've heard a lot of good about the Browning hells canyon. There is a thread about them somewhere on here.

8. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member

I have a couple Browning A-Bolts and can't say anything bad about them.
    My best friend has a Mark V and it works well also?

9. Weatherby Fan

Weatherby Fan Well-Known Member

Reality is you probably can't go wrong with either the Vanguard or the Hells Canyon, both are 6 3/4lbs, it will depend on what fits you better, I've owned a few Vanguard S2 rifles and all have shot extremely well with factory ammo, 243,25-06, 240 wby, 6.5cm, all shot 1/2moa or less, the 240 wby is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever seen, I paid 529.00 for that rifle and will shoot one hole groups with factory Weatherby 85gr TSX ammo.

tomsd likes this.
  10. MudRunner2005

The Accumark I had was a piece of crap with MAJOR manufacturing defects. I could understand a rifle with hidden issues, as that does happen from time to time with every manufacturer. But, it was when I contacted Weatherby about the issues for warranty repairs, they pretty much told me to f-off, even though I had had the rifle inspected, bore-scoped, and looked at by a professional gunsmith so I KNEW exactly what was wrong with it before contacting them. So I traded it off for a huge loss, and bought another Remington 700 5R with zero problems. Won't ever buy another Weatherby.

tomsd likes this.
  11. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

The only problem with a Browning is the trigger sux and there is NO replacement for it. Timney sells some "springs" for it but they suck too. I own a browning A-Bolt and have tried the springs. So not just blowing smoke here.

I would get the Vanguard. You can replace the trigger with a Timney that can set down to 1.5 lbs. or so. That will take the rifle to a whole new level.

mmgravy and Canhunter35 like this.
  12. MudRunner2005

I can agree with that. The Rifle Basix spring kit helped my A-Bolt II rifle alot, but it's still nothing like an aftermarket trigger.

Jard makes a trigger...

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/browning-a-bolt-trigger-prod54521.aspx

13. MudRunner2005

Barrelnut likes this.
  14. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

OOPs. I be quiet now.