New Remington 700's

I purchased a savage a22 from Walmart at the end of last year. This is a semi-auto 22 in a laminate varmint thumbhole stock fluted barrel. Whether they fired it or not for function, it would not hit a 2-ft target at 100 yd. 2 ft right one foot left 2 ft high.

I sent it back to Savage a little over 90 days ago. I hadn't heard anything so I emailed them about it and they said they were out of stock on barrels. The barrel needed to be replaced. So I'm hoping to get that back someday. They're standing behind it, but if they would have even tried to shoot it at 100 yards they would have realized there was a problem.

If they would have shot it at 25 yards they would have realized it was printing 8 in or so.
Sounds like the same problem my brother in law had.He asked for a refund and they said they don't do that.
Still waiting.High end Savage rifles may be a different story,not sure.

I'll post it again for those that are just interested in the receiver and building your own rifle. This is the route I took in Dec 2021. The receiver I got was in excellent condition. No flaws.

Why pay 650 for a receiver when you can get the whole gun for under 600?
1690130020868.png

Good to see they are back to making a quality rifle. My last buy was a 700 LTR in 308 Win. about three years ago.It came with a HS Precision stock and a 40x trigger. I was able to take it down to 1.5 pounds of pull and could have gone further. With 168 grain Hornady bullets it shoots 5 shot one hole groups all day . I am intrigued with the new action with side bolt release . I always thought the trigger release sucked . You guys suckered me into another build .

Sounds like the same problem my brother in law had.He asked for a refund and they said they don't do that.
Still waiting.High end Savage rifles may be a different story,not sure.
My three Savage rifles ( 110 Storm in .223, 93R17, Model 12 LRPV in .223 ) have been functionally flawless ( bolt lift is heavy on the LRPV, but it`s new ). All three shoot lights out.

What features would decide a rifle for you?
Not sure anyone should care, but in this case between the Alpha 1 and the Seekings PH2, there are a few subjective and objective.
Subjective 1. Shape of the stock and color, Seekins
2. Spiral fluted barrel, Seekins
Objective 1. Easier to get accessories later, Remington
2. Trigger, Seekins, I prefer the Trigger Tech to Timney
3. Warranty, Seekins
4. Bolt/Lugg design, Seekins
Possible Ties: Accuracy, thou the Seekins has been out there longer than the new Alpha and appears to be VERY accurate overall.
Customer satisfaction

Overall, I am leaning toward the Seekins, thou I would like to see the Alpha, sometimes hands on changes things.

I started a thread on here a few months back about this. I had purchased a new gen 2 5r 308 and the quality was terrible. Couldn't chamber a round from the mag at all, ended up being the follower and feed rails were machined so terribly the brass was actually getting stuck and gouged to the point the brass was crap afterwards. When replacing follower the spring broke. So after replacing the spring, follower and some sanding of the feed rails I got the rifle to chamber a round finally. Took it to the range and after 30 rounds the jeweling on the bolt was completely rubbed off on multiple sides of the bolt. Rifle shoots pretty decent though, but the quality control is still garbage in my opinion. Action screws were also way, way over torqued as well. My trigger is the x mark and not a Timney at all. My rifles build date was 12/2022 and is a RAR serial number.

Why pay 650 for a receiver when you can get the whole gun for under 600?
View attachment 480315
That is an ADL and I use BDL. Because at the time in Dec 21 I dont remember seeing any whole rifles. The blued receiver I got from MGW was well within specs and needed no truing. But yeah, a lot of people buy the whole cheaper rifle just for the receiver, stock recoil lug, etc. and get lucky. I think by the end of the day I ended up paying over $1,300 to get this rifle built to my own specifications by myself. And that is not counting the scope.

Last edited:
I started a thread on here a few months back about this. I had purchased a new gen 2 5r 308 and the quality was terrible. Couldn't chamber a round from the mag at all, ended up being the follower and feed rails were machined so terribly the brass was actually getting stuck and gouged to the point the brass was crap afterwards. When replacing follower the spring broke. So after replacing the spring, follower and some sanding of the feed rails I got the rifle to chamber a round finally. Took it to the range and after 30 rounds the jeweling on the bolt was completely rubbed off on multiple sides of the bolt. Rifle shoots pretty decent though, but the quality control is still garbage in my opinion. Action screws were also way, way over torqued as well. My trigger is the x mark and not a Timney at all. My rifles build date was 12/2022 and is a RAR serial number.
What did Remington say when you contacted them?

What did Remington say when you contacted them?

I wonder what the barrel threads are for the new 783? There is a used one in a local mom and pop shop out near the farm, they are asking $325 for it, someone painted it, looks horrendous. Wonder if it would be worth making it a truck/utv rifle?
Same as a small shank Savage I believe.

Anyone hearing anything?
While at a local LGS I saw a couple of new Remington 700's and asked the salesman if he was hearing any good things about them
He said they are better than the last several years of 700's as Remington had money problems so they were running older worn out machines for so long and now they are running new better machines and putting out better rifles.
That may be sales talk so what have you folks heard?
Who would go into manufacturing today "with old wore out machines", or even keep them into production?... A statement from someone who knows little of todays manufacturing. Everything is CNC computer controlled. Modern CNC machinery is your best investment. You can not open the manufacturing business without them. The smallest action builders to the largest manufacturers use them, in every aspect of design and manufacturing. Remington could make the exact same quality as the best in the world, ..for a price...if they chose to. And you would pay the extra cost of perfection.
Computerized equipment will make that fairly easy...followed by constant and persistent quality control and paying attention to detail.
I wore out two CNC mills in 5 yrs, so the company bought 2 brand new ones, to replace them. Competition is world wide, and extremely fierce, you have computer aided drafting and design, & engineering departments, logistics. The computer writes the code sent to the CNC machining centers. You have to keep up with technology...the CNC machines can verbally communicate with the human operator. Human intervention, can make sure everything is almost perfect...or in deference, greed, cost cutting, multinational bureaucrat run companies who care about nothing but huge profits..to pay their huge salaries, never touched or seen a real Remington 700, doesn't even like guns, but demands multimillion dollar salaries and bonuses, and likes to invest in China, where more profits are to be made...don't know if Remingtons new CEO is like that, but most are...Bud Light, anyone?