New Remington 700's

Anyone hearing anything?
While at a local LGS I saw a couple of new Remington 700's and asked the salesman if he was hearing any good things about them
He said they are better than the last several years of 700's as Remington had money problems so they were running older worn out machines for so long and now they are running new better machines and putting out better rifles.
That may be sales talk so what have you folks heard?
Remington actions were better(straighter) before they sold the company than they were 40 years ago. Doubt this will be the case. The rifle overall may be a better rifle (stock, trigger, barrel) but the action I seriously doubt will be any better unless they actually make some changes to the bolt or recoil lug in terms of how the attach or possibly an integral unit.

I bought one of the new Remingtons 308 CDL SF models, what little I have messed with it it seems ok, it ejects brass really well, cycles good, has nice fit and finish, one nice addition is the barrel twist is marked on the barrel, I've only tried 178 eld m and it did very well with it. 43 to 45 grains of varget all loads had the same point of impact and pretty much the same group size, I'm very happy with it.
20230327_141312.jpg

Anyone hearing anything?
While at a local LGS I saw a couple of new Remington 700's and asked the salesman if he was hearing any good things about them
He said they are better than the last several years of 700's as Remington had money problems so they were running older worn out machines for so long and now they are running new better machines and putting out better rifles.
That may be sales talk so what have you folks heard?
Look up Ron Spomer and his review on the new 700s. It's no longer an economy rifle, barrel upgrades, trigger upgrades, and lots more. They were always known for accuracy out the box but I was happy to see their return with all the bells and whistles this time.

I got one of the first LA internal mag actions off the line and put together a .257 Roberts. It is straight and shoots like an R700 should shoot. I'll have to go back in time to find what online dealer had them in stock early on. But I'm pretty sure it has been a couple of years or so.
That's interesting, I attempted to buy some and was told they were not selling parts or actions as everything was going into production of the rifles, "Get in touch with us in a couple years". Are the action's obviously different? How's thread fit?

Remington actions were better(straighter) before they sold the company than they were 40 years ago. Doubt this will be the case. The rifle overall may be a better rifle (stock, trigger, barrel) but the action I seriously doubt will be any better unless they actually make some changes to the bolt or recoil lug in terms of how the attach or possibly an integral unit.
One of the reasons I bought the new 700 was because the tolerance are supposed to be tighter. Add the new barrel twists and the possiblity to be able to just screw on factory barrels and check headspace much like Tikkas enticed me to purchase one. Time will tell.

I've dealt with 3 of the new 700s, 2 receivers and one 308 SPS. Much better quality. For.anyone that has squared up a 700 receiver bolt you know they never were great for bolt lug contact.. you were.typically lucky to see 30% lug engagement. All 3 of the new receivers had 100% engagement straight out of the box !!! Verified by lightly lapping them. Receiver face was also square..holy crap Batman... haven't shot.the 308 yet as I'm working on a stock for it. The 308 also had the old trigger so i can't comment.on the new Timney.
Overall very encouraging..

J&A outdoors has the reveivers normally and are.cheaper than midwest

I've got the 700 Long Range in 7 PRC. Needed a serious cleaning all over and had to lap the bolt since it was very rough to cycle. Went with the Timney HIT at 8 oz. Accuracy is almost unbelievable just with the Hornady Match ammo. Can't wait to start some serious load development with this gun.

I've dealt with 3 of the new 700s, 2 receivers and one 308 SPS. Much better quality. For.anyone that has squared up a 700 receiver bolt you know they never were great for bolt lug contact.. you were.typically lucky to see 30% lug engagement. All 3 of the new receivers had 100% engagement straight out of the box !!! Verified by lightly lapping them. Receiver face was also square..holy crap Batman... haven't shot.the 308 yet as I'm working on a stock for it. The 308 also had the old trigger so i can't comment.on the new Timney.
Overall very encouraging..

J&A outdoors has the reveivers normally and are.cheaper than midwest

Are there any SS receivers? Are bolts still multi piece units, or are lugs and bolt body machined as one unit now?

Haven't had anything touched on a post 2000 Remington 700. Action face was square and matched the bolt face enough not to worry about it. The older actions I've had to have cleaned up.

My buddy has a late model pre Remarms LR 700. The rail had a large burr on it which he had to file down. Once he did that the bolt worked smooth and it shoot sub 1/2 moa.

I know my builder said the one s with the RR prefix to the sn didn't cam enough for reliable extraction of the magnum rounds. But that was more of a bolt issue
Yeah unfortunetely that was common on the RR's. A quick call to cs usually had that problem fixed.