New rem CDL problem

Pats180

I recently purchased a new rem. 700 CDL in 300 win mag. Went to the range today with a box of federal 180 grain power shocks to see how it was going to shoot, rounds chambered fine, but extraction was difficult, one round required a cleaning rod to tap out and a buddy pulling on the bolt. Brass is really shiny just above the belt, same problem with my reloads. Gun is clean, primers are not flattened, bottom of the brass is not smeared, bullets aren't touching the lands. At a loss, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You might have a tight chamber. I would call a reputable smith and ask them, if they suggest it, I'd send it back to Remington with some of the spent brass to show them what's happening with a note explaining what's going on. Then ask them to fix the problem. Give them the model number of the ammo you are shooting and they can probably figure it out.

If you don't have many weeks to wait, ask your local reputable smith to get him to take a look at it and tell you what's wrong.

a tight chamber would more effect chambering then it would extraction. Id bet theres some roughness in the chamber. My 7 stw did the same when i got it and it made a trip back to rem and was cured.

a tight chamber would more effect chambering then it would extraction. Id bet theres some roughness in the chamber. My 7 stw did the same when i got it and it made a trip back to rem and was cured.

+1 Seen this on more than one 300wm.

I took a fired brass that I could get to chamber and opened and closed the bolt about a dozen times, when I took the brass out it was deeply scratched in two places half and inch above the belt. You guys were right about the rough chamber and it will be on its way to Remington Monday.
Thanks for the replies.

My brother just bought a 7mm rem mag and he cleaned the gun, then went and shot it you could hardly lift the bolt and couldnt extract the fired case, turns out he had a build up of oil in the chamber then when the case expanded when fired it got stuck due to the oil, cleaned it out then it was fine.

You might as well go ahead and call Rem. tell them what is going on they will give you a return number, I just sent in a new 5r 300wm about three weeks ago. It would not chamber a round unless you exerted undo force on it, They never finished the chamber. Took about 10 days to get it back. Chambers fine now don't know if it is going to extract or not. If it will not I will call them back and tell em to put it where the sun don't shine. To big of a price tag for a piece of crap rifle. Screw me once shame on me twice not gonna happen. I will take my money and build another custom.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.