257 weatherby rem CDL

I love the 700 CDL I have, and the caliber is perfect for our Coues deer. I just don't have the confidence the rifle will put the first bullet in the same place each trip. I guess I will find out in two weeks when my hunt opens, or maybe just take the old trusted 243... I think my Grandpa was right, there ain't nothin in AZ a 243 can't handle.

I've got a Mark V Accumark in .257 Wthby. Never could get 100 grain bullets to consistently shoot well in it. It loves 117 Sierra GameKings ahead of H4831sc powder.

I picked up a box of factory 100gr SP and was getting 1.5" groups which didnt impress me much. I started to work up loads with the barnes TSX and Partitions with RL 25 and IMR7828ssc. I can get an occasional .5" 3 shot group but when i get to 5 shots (letting the barrel cool between shots) the groups open up to 1.25"

You're getting 5-shot 1.25" from a factory rifle. Maybe you can improve it a bit by tweaking your handloads, but 1 1/4" at 100 yards is nothing to complain about. Maybe not what you had hoped for, but not every factory rifle is a sub-MOA shooter.

I agree not every rifle is a sub moa but it teases me every once in awhile with a 3 shot group of .3-.4" so I figure i must be close. It is 80degrees plus here today so i dont think i will get out to shoot today but maybe early next week we are supposed to be back into the 50-60's. I have picked up some 120gr speer SPHP and 115gr nosler BT to try. I have not yet tried the 4831 but alot of people have suggested that. I will grab 1lb of that and try it out.

Sometimes i wonder if it is my handloading that is letting me down. Can anyone tell me what their usual steps are for working up an accurate load? I just dont know how much primer and powder charge weight effect accuracy. If you look at all the variables and try to change one thing at a time i could wear the barrel out just trying the different options before i find one that works great. Sometimes it seems overwhelming.

Update, Left the house this morning at 7:30 am and back at 9:45 am with 75 5/8 antelope with the 257 wby. Passed up several and the big one walked out of a coulee. One shot and dropped in his tracks. My son is happy.

Update, Left the house this morning at 7:30 am and back at 9:45 am with 75 5/8 antelope with the 257 wby. Passed up several and the big one walked out of a coulee. One shot and dropped in his tracks. My son is happy.

im jealous. I was to move to sheridan last year at this time but the position at the VA wasnt as planned so it didnt work out. Maybe have a chance at one in Cody. Help me out with the scoring of an antelope. what is a booner measurement.

Steve, that is not a booner but a really nice antelope for a 17 year old tied up with school stuff and one morning to hunt. Had 6" forward prongs which is very good. I think 82 is book but haven't looked it up in 25 years. Maybe somebody on here can look it up for us. I passed up probably 50 bucks this evening looking for a booner but just 70's was it for today. I spotted one right at dark that looked very promising. Will look for him first thing in the morning. I am hunting off the road to Cody from my house.

Welcome to shooting a Weatherby. The 257 is very finiky. RL 25 works very well with 117 grain bullets but is so temp. sensitive you will probably be on cloud nine one day at the range and the next trip ready to throw the rifle in the clouds. They do favor flat base bullets and Mag pro is probably a good powder to try. H4831 is a good choice but you may not get the velocity that you will with RL 25. These rifles can be VERY frustrating to get to shoot a nice group. I also recommend letting the barrel cool all the way down between each shot if you are shooting for group...........The barrels are very bad about copper fouling also. My suggestion is to soak the barrel for 8 or so hours 3-4 or sometimes 5 times with Hoppes Benchrest or #9 to get all of the copper out of the groove corners. Brush and run a wet patch then 3 dry ones after each soaking until all the copper is out of the barrel. This caliber is bad about getting a copper build up right in the 90 degree corners of the lands and grooves. Just remember this rifle is mainly for one shot or sometimes two to down your game. I learned to be happy if my first and second shot at each range session was exactly where I wanted it to go.

I ran three different bullets and three different powders over the last week. Here are the results. All are 3 shot groups at 100 yds while allowing the barrell to cool between shots. COAL was set at 3.25"

speer 120gr Boat Tail
IMR 7828ssc .75"
H1000 1.25"
RL 25 1.00"

Nosler 115gr Ballistic Tip
IMR 7828ssc 2"
H1000 1.75"
RL 25 .6"

Barnes 100gr TSX
IMR 7828ssc 1.5"
H1000 1.5"
RL 25 1.25"

I will now focus on the speer 120gr with IMR7828ssc and H1000 as well as the Nosler with the RL 25. I noticed a little verticle string with the speer that i might be able to remove with a little higher powder charge.

Overall i like the weigt and BC of the speer. I may have found the pill it likes the best.

I ran three different bullets and three different powders over the last week. Here are the results. All are 3 shot groups at 100 yds while allowing the barrell to cool between shots. COAL was set at 3.25"

speer 120gr Boat Tail
IMR 7828ssc .75"
H1000 1.25"
RL 25 1.00"

Nosler 115gr Ballistic Tip
IMR 7828ssc 2"
H1000 1.75"
RL 25 .6"

Barnes 100gr TSX
IMR 7828ssc 1.5"
H1000 1.5"
RL 25 1.25"

I will now focus on the speer 120gr with IMR7828ssc and H1000 as well as the Nosler with the RL 25. I noticed a little verticle string with the speer that i might be able to remove with a little higher powder charge.

Overall i like the weigt and BC of the speer. I may have found the pill it likes the best.

Have you tried the Sierra 117 grain.? I have had very good luck with this caliber with a 117 grain Sierra Pro Hunter, a flat base bullet. I am going to give Hodgdon 4831sc a try. RL 25 was great for me except for the point of impact change due to weather sensitivity.

Have you tried the Sierra 117 grain.? I have had very good luck with this caliber with a 117 grain Sierra Pro Hunter, a flat base bullet. I am going to give Hodgdon 4831sc a try. RL 25 was great for me except for the point of impact change due to weather sensitivity.

Casing

i have not tried the pro hunter. Primarily because the speer has a fairly large BC advantage over the sierra. If i can get sub moa performance from the speer the trajectory will be better. i havent tried 4831. I havent seen the temp sensitivity that you mention with RL 25.

I don't see any of you with this caliber trying the old and true H4831 powder or H4350. I do believe that most of the old loads for Weatherby cartridges used H4831. I don't own a rifle in this caliber so this is only a suggestion for the 257 but it sure works Great in the 300 weatherby mag.

:D

I will have to try some H4831. The speer 120gr btsp are really working well right now with IMR 7828ssc. All my groups have been sub moa with that set up depending on how well i can pull the trigger. I cant get the IMR 7828ssc to work with the partitions though.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.