257 weatherby rem CDL

stevenautique

Hello everyone

Just found this site after watching the TV show. So far it looks like what i have been searching for. I have a question regarding a new rifle i picked up a couple weeks ago. I found a new remington CDL fluted stainless in 257 weatherby. I have always been a sako and cooper guy and never owned a remington before so i thought i would run it thru its paces. I picked up a box of factory 100gr SP and was getting 1.5" groups which didnt impress me much. I started to work up loads with the barnes TSX and Partitions with RL 25 and IMR7828ssc. I can get an occasional .5" 3 shot group but when i get to 5 shots (letting the barrel cool between shots) the groups open up to 1.25" I am using winchester LRM primers and weatherby brass. I would like to see what this rifle can really do but feel like it is my reloads. Any suggestions to powder/primer/bullet selection would be appreciated. as you know there are many variables out there.

Now Im not badmouthing Barnes, but some barrels copper foul easier than others. Maybe try a bullet thats not a solid, or the TTSX with the extra caneloure for less barring surface if they offer it in 25 cal.......... I dunno if they do yet or not.
Im not too knowledgable on the 25 cal anything, but theres quite a few guys here who are. Hang in there someone with some real time .257 wby knowledge will chime in.
Glad you found L/R/H by the way. Lots of knowledgable members, and politeness goes a long way here. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.:)
Oh and to my knowledge we dont have a TV show. You were probably watching Best Of The West, and looked for The Long Range Store, when L/R/H popped up.
Although Len had mentioned that he was mulling over the idea of sponsoring a hunting show..........
Wich show did you see? What channel?

Hello I have the same rifle and i'm kinda in the same boat you are. I have tried a little bit of everything, my best so far is 72gr (over book max so work up) of RL22 with a CCI mag primer and 110gr accubond. It will throw 2 together and the 3rd 1.5" away so I still need to do some work. The thing that has helped me the most was to seat the bullet out alot farther than I thought it should be. Right now I am at a COAL of 3.496, the base of the bullet is about half way down the case neck. I have had a harder time trying to find a load for this rifle than any other rifle I have owned. Good luck to you and if you find something let me know and I will do the same.

I have the same rifle with a blued barrel, it was doing the same thing as yours, 2 shots touching and the 3rd round would be a inch out, number 4 and 5 would usually land one next to the first 2 rounds and who knows where the last one would land. I installed a Jewel trigger and put it in a B&C stock with a aluminum bedding block, then removed the pressure pad and floated the barrel. Guess what.... no change in group size. This info was with using factory Weatherby ammo, the affordable 100 gr spitzers, 100gr Barnes X bullets and the 110 accubonds. I don't know if I want to buy dies or just push it to the back of the safe. If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears (eyes).
Thanks, 7STW nut

Now Im not badmouthing Barnes, but some barrels copper foul easier than others. Maybe try a bullet thats not a solid, or the TTSX with the extra caneloure for less barring surface if they offer it in 25 cal.......... I dunno if they do yet or not.
Im not too knowledgable on the 25 cal anything, but theres quite a few guys here who are. Hang in there someone with some real time .257 wby knowledge will chime in.
Glad you found L/R/H by the way. Lots of knowledgable members, and politeness goes a long way here. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.:)
Oh and to my knowledge we dont have a TV show. You were probably watching Best Of The West, and looked for The Long Range Store, when L/R/H popped up.
Although Len had mentioned that he was mulling over the idea of sponsoring a hunting show..........
Wich show did you see? What channel?

thanks for the welcome. now that you mention the name it was the best of the west on Dish that i was watching.

Barnes does make a 100 gr TTSX.

By the way a little more information i thought of yesterday. I have already free floated and glass bedded the stock as well. I see this as a hobby for me and so far really like the rifle.

Any of you guys tried doing a search for loads here on L/R/H? The archives have a TON of usefull info. Kinda spooky how all 3 of you have simmilar issues tho........

If the search doesnt turn up anything you can put to use, send Long Time Long Ranger (LTLR) a P.M. He's kindof a walking Weatherby encyclopedia, and may be able to shed some light on the cartrige and its quirks.
He's helped me more than once. IMO, if it has to do with anything wby he's number one on my list of folks to get good, solid, and trustworthy advise from.

I have the same rifle with a blued barrel, it was doing the same thing as yours, 2 shots touching and the 3rd round would be a inch out, number 4 and 5 would usually land one next to the first 2 rounds and who knows where the last one would land. I installed a Jewel trigger and put it in a B&C stock with a aluminum bedding block, then removed the pressure pad and floated the barrel. Guess what.... no change in group size. This info was with using factory Weatherby ammo, the affordable 100 gr spitzers, 100gr Barnes X bullets and the 110 accubonds. I don't know if I want to buy dies or just push it to the back of the safe. If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears (eyes).
Thanks, 7STW nut

i was going to go out and pick one of those stocks up and see what it would do. I just picked up some speer 120 BTSP and 115gr nosler BT. I will try some RL25, IMR 7828ssc and H1000. Hopefully i can get a good load that will impress me. The load that i have had the most luck with so far is 75gr of RL25 on top of a 100gr tsx with a COAL of 3.290.

I have a Rem. sps ss in .257wby 26in bbl. I put a greybull percision stock on it bedded it and had a trigger job dun.

My load is .257 Weatherby Brass / Rem 9.5 mag Primer's / 115gr Berger hunting vld's / H4831sc 70.0gr (this is 4gr's over berger's max) this powder has not shot the fastest but has given me the lowest ES 18fps (3306fps avg for 5 shots) and best group's.

2 three shot groups at 600 yards with the above load. Top is 4in and bottem is 4.7in.
cambullets-1.jpg

These groups were shot on to different days prone with a bipod and rear bag.

Just a thought here, I wonder if Remington is throating the 257 for freebore like the Weatherby rifles or not? It could be that bullets may need to be moved in/out a little.

Mine is a Mk 5 wby 26" barrel. 75.5 grains of magpro with 100 grain Barnes ttsx at 3760 fps. It groups into 1.5" at a quarter mile. Has killed quite a few animals at various ranges out to 600 yards. Extremely good deer-antelope rifle. Season opens in the morning for antelope and my son will be shooting this one.

I have been using 25's for over 20 years and i will give 2 cents worth.
250 ack. imp. 250 savage classic rechambered
25-284 ultra lite arms
257 whby rem 700 25-06 rechambered
257 whby rem 700 24" Hart #3 Mcmillian stock
25 Bobcat ( 25-270 WSM ) Rem 700 Broughton #4 McMillian edge stock
For whitetails no need for anything over 100 gran forget bc, i dont care to say how many 1 shot kills i have made with the 100 grain sierra BT spitzer. My whbys go from 3600-3700 1/2 moa 3 shot 100 yards. I can not see the reason to shoot a 5 shot group on a regular hunting rifle contour, go to a heavier contour if you are going to shoot 5. Most whbys magical load is around 68.5 grains of IMR-4831, i had one that could go to 70.5. I now switched to 7828 73 grains gettng 3700 1/2 moa. I have had so much luck with this bullet i dont care to switch.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.