257 weatherby rem CDL

I have only had my 257 a few seasons.Had 66 gr.imr 4350 , 87 berger shoot 1/2, 60 imr 4350 115 tsx same, and now shooting 67 imr 7828 110 nab. Son and I have taken 4 speed goats from 450-550, all above bullets pass threws. I took a couple siters at 400 yrd. before season with the 110 nab and they where about 1 1/2"

If you have never shot a 257 WBY MAG at a Deer you will not understand. There is something special about this cal that is hard to explain! I do not know how to reload this round eather but I have not run out of factory accubonds yet. The 257 WBY MAG is my fav Deer rifle. I have a Vanguard 24" blued barrel, not the ideal 257. It shot all over the place, I will just say a 5" group at 200 yds. I free floated the barrel, pillar and epoxy bedded the action and re sighted with a new TR232 @100 3shots under a dime. This is with WBY factory 110 Accubond. I would post a picture but I dont know how, I sure have tried???? I plan to use 117 Gamekings with H4831 after this deer season. I have heard the 257 is a very tricky round to reload, It must be. Bill Maylor..

Glass bedding and free floating the barrel on a sporter weight Weatherby 257 is the way to go in my opinion. You are only good for around 3 consecutive shots because of the barrel getting hot but you can sure make one shoot. Try the 117 Sierra pro hunter bullet. Being a flat base bullet the Weatherby likes this bullet.

Great thread! I wish I would have found it a year ago when my Rem CDL 257 WBY was new. It took me a long time to get mine to shoot thats for sure. I ended up free floating my barrel immediatley after I bought it. Every thing written here I found to be true. It likes RL25 and 117gr SST's, H1000 and the 110gr Accubonds, and it doesn't like any 100 grainer I have tried in it yet. The one combo I don't recall reading about that also works well in mine is RL22 and the 75gr Vmax.

I don't know if this will help or not. I have a 700 in a 25-06 that acted similar but actually grouped pretty good to start out with. Stainless ADL so I bought a laminated stock, pillar bedded it then bedded the action and the barrel was free floated. Shot worse than the factory plastic stock. Jacked around with different loads and out of pure frustration I took it out of the bedded/free floated stock and put it into a CDL stock. Instantly shot better. I then installed a limb saver vibration dampener on the barrel and problem fixed.

I would would try one of those dampeners on the barrel with your best load (they don't cost much). If it is already free floated I would try putting a small amount of pressure on the barrel or if it is not free floated check the torque on the action screws first (in fact do that anyway if you already haven't) and lastly try free floating the barrel if it is already not. I would do that last because I have a few 700 that do not want to be free floated.

Some one else mention flat base bullets. Looks like you have tried boat tails up to this point. I would do the above then try a FB in the weight and with the powder that is the most accurate up to this point, the work on overall loaded length. Just my thoughts.

What OAL are you shooting the 100 TSX at? If you haven't tried it already; try Wby case, Fed 215M, 72 gr RL22, 100 tsx, OAL 3.18. Most people find the sweet OAL on these between 3.12 and 3.20. I shoot a rem 700 with the tsx at 3.18. If it don't like rl22 try 7828 between 70-72 gr. Many times the 257 shoots better with a shorter OAL than we think prudent. Worth a shot.

My 257 cdl does its best with 100 grian flat base sierra prohunters and the vanguard i had before it did its best with the 100 sierra boat tail.

72grs of Re#22 ? Dang I don't even load that much powder in my 7 wem. what a bbl burner it must be ! I shoot a 6x284 and 51grs of Re22 is near max in that shooting 107 gr bullets.

"Many times the 257 shoots better with a shorter OAL than we think prudent. Worth a shot."

This is true with mine.

Just want to add this, I said mine doesn't shoot the 100grainers that I have tried yet. I haven't tried a lot of them only a few. I am sure the rifle will shoot them. I just haven't tried them in a while. I didn't mean to discredit the 100gr 25 caliber bullet for the .257WBY. I'm sure they can be quite awesome. I just need more time to play.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.