New Reloader with Question on Resizing

I FL every time, but then again I never gave neck only a try for comparison. I guess the reason is I use the same cartridge for more than 1 firearm. I use the Lee FC die on every round whether it be BA or semi's (AR or not). This is what works for me, so you'll find out what works for you regardless of others and their input (yes, that includes me).

Get some extra measuring tools too. The Hornady headspace and bullet measuring kits are good enough. That way you can measure your headspace setback like everyone is telling you. I do the same as everyone else, probably. FL size with 2-5 thousandths setback. The 4-5 thou is for 223 in an AR. otherwise it's all in the .002-.003 range. To measure that you need a headspace measuring tool. The other part about sizing that you might want to pay attention to is neck tension. Depending on what you're using and how you're doing it you can control that with different pieces.

I will give you my take on new reloaders and what should be done.
Don't set your die up on once fired brass, you'll thank me later on this by not getting head separations.
Buy a 3 die set, either RCBS or Redding, this will have a Neck die, FL size die and seating die. Use a lube on the inside of your necks, I prefer fine powdered graphite.
Neck size new brass only.
Double check all cases after pouring powder in…do not pour powder then seat bullets, keep your process in batch mode, which means do ALL in one step then proceed to the next step and do ALL cases.
If you think you have made a mistake in ANY process STOP. DONOT PROCEED until you have checked and confirmed the issue or lack of an issue.
Best advice I can give, buy once, cry once. Do not buy stuff you will end up replacing later, buy the topline stuff now.

Cheers.

One thing you'll need to take into account is if the brass is going to be going back into the same chamber. Lets say that you only have one rifle in a caliber, then neck only sizing would be a viable option. However if you had 3 different guns in .308 that shared the same ammo you would need to FL size to the smallest chamber each time or risk chambering problems in the gun with the largest chamber. SAAMI specs. allow for some variance in chamber size and every gun is unique.

Not sure if you're chasing maximum accuracy on targets at long distance, if so you'll probably want to have a load for each induvial gun and keep the ammo separate for the weapons.

If shorter ranges and hunting purposes, you probably find that one load could provide acceptable accuracy to be able to used in one than one gun.

M.

FL every time.

I'd suggest creating a checklist for your brass prep. Top of the checklist for me is how many firings on the brass. Then down the list will look something like this:

D's MPA 6.5 Creedmoor, Lapua Brass.

O Times fired
O Anneal
O Tumble
O Lube
O Resize/De-prime
O
O

There are many ways to prep. brass and people do them in different orders. Write it down and adjust with experience. I reload for many rifles and these checklists get put in with my brass so I don't loose track of what's going on with a particular batch.

Good luck and welcome from CA!

I've been reloading over 40 years and back in the 80s several of us started neck sizing with our standard FL SIZING dies. We would run the die into the press a little at a time until about 1/2 to 2/3 of the neck resized. We believed at the time that the fat neck would help center the bullet in the bore and improve accuracy. I did shoot some great groups back then but I shot alot of bad ones too. I also left my 7Mag in the truck and the temp dropped to zero over night, the ammo was inside my right pants pocket. when I got to my stand i had to force the bolt closed. I went back to full length and we didn't measure it. We just ran the die down till it touched the shell holder and camed over. I have no idea how far we were pushing the shoulder back, didn't know how to measure It and didn't care back then. I used standard old Rcbs dies and reloaded for 308, -06, and 3 belted magnums. I shot em till the case necks split then tossed em, and then only the ones that actually split. i measure now but back then it's possible I could have been pushing shoulders back as much as .008-.010. Case head separation right? Wrong! I have never actually seen a case head separation. I've seen pictures and heard stories but I don't know anyone that has ever had it happen. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that it's not as common as some would have you believe. The way we ignorantly abused brass in the 80s and 90s, I should have witnessed at least one. I knew how to check for it in my belted magnums but I threw them away with neck spits before the case separation ever happened.