New/old gun build

freddogs

I have a 98 mauser sporterized to a 257 Ackley improved. I really like this round but I was never impressed with the rifle that was rebarreled by Shaw about 25 years ago. I've shot some game with it. It's a fun round and I've experimented off and on for years and never got it to shoot better than 1.5 moa. I thought it might be fun to build a new 257 Ackley improved since I have lots of brass ,dies, and bullets.
I saw a Weatherby vanguard at a gun store for less than $500 (new) in 270 wsm. Would this work for a build ? Any ideas on barrels and twist rates or someone to do it? Any problems I should think about?

stick with the Mauser and redo the barrel in your .257. Mauser's are such simple pieces. I'm in the process of rebarreling a 30-06 into a 240 Weatherby in a Boyds stock. waiting on the rebarrel and looking forward to finishing this rifle as a lightweight mountain rifle. also rechambering a 7mm FN Mauser to .284. the stock was a mess and the metal wasn't much better. a stock refin and cerakote on the metal, this thing will shine like new. pics posted in a few months.

I'd re-barrel the Mauser, as long as it's a Mauser '98! I'd use a a brand name blank (like Shilen, Brux, Hart, Benchmark, ect) with a 1-9 twist. Chrome moly or stainless, it'd be your choice. I'd also check the bedding , glass done properly can only help. Add a good trigger and have a dandy hunting rifle. Proper scope mounts, rings and mounting is important, too. The .257 Ackley round is a keeper in my book. Just be aware that brass from the Shaw barrel may not fit in a new custom cut chamber. Maybe I'll get a pic of the latest .257 I'm working on and post it here over the weekend.

Thanks for the tips. The mauser I have now is glass bedded and has a Timney trigger. It's possible that a new barrel and having the action trued may help but I would still have an 80 to 100 year old action. I was thinking something newer maybe a Savage with a remage barrel and get a better stock. Being old, lots of my firearms are old. Sometimes you want something new.
I have a 6.5 prc sitting in the gun cabinet waiting for me to get some brass or ammo.
If chambers are cut to specs why wouldn't brass fit? All my 257Ackley brass is full length resized in RCBS dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.