New LRH Gun - Gunwerks or Custom Build from SAC

It's hard to compare a product from one of the top end precision builders to a Gunwerks.

Button line, they make killer rifles!

If you are looking strictly at pricing, you need to try and strip all the extras from the Gunwerks inclusive pricing structure. Eg, 300 shipping case, etc. I think we are competitive when you compare apples to apples.

On the other hand, if you are not into hand loading, or don't have the time to put into the setup, Gunwerks produces an out of the box product with ammo availability.

As to some of the other criticism, we design our products around pure function. The classic McMillan A series stock was state of the art 30 years ago. Most copies offer little functional improvement.

As to bedding, when the final product is an assembly of disparate components, proven techniques like bedding may be required to make the parts fit together. We use other methods.

We would be glad to build you a rifle, or sell you one of our stocked systems, but if you choose to go with one of the boutique builders listed, you will be more than happy.

My suggestion is to find yourself at Gunwerks' facility and ask them to take you to the range, which I am told, they will do. the staff will loan you their personal gun if they have the specific caliber you wish to purchase. then you shoot and see if you like it. at that point you can ask them to make a custom length stock, and colors. you can have them work with the specific parts you wish. this is all if I have not been lied to. I hear that Gunwerks is a very good company to work with and their staff will guide through the building process and they are very accommodating. I do not own any of their rifles. I have always wanted one and I have seen and shot their rifles. I personally need them to extend the length of their stocks to fit me. this is my only complaint. I personally would put a Jewell trigger on any rifle. I do not know what trigger company they use.

It's hard to compare a product from one of the top end precision builders to a Gunwerks.

Button line, they make killer rifles!

If you are looking strictly at pricing, you need to try and strip all the extras from the Gunwerks inclusive pricing structure. Eg, 300 shipping case, etc. I think we are competitive when you compare apples to apples.

On the other hand, if you are not into hand loading, or don't have the time to put into the setup, Gunwerks produces an out of the box product with ammo availability.

As to some of the other criticism, we design our products around pure function. The classic McMillan A series stock was state of the art 30 years ago. Most copies offer little functional improvement.

As to bedding, when the final product is an assembly of disparate components, proven techniques like bedding may be required to make the parts fit together. We use other methods.

We would be glad to build you a rifle, or sell you one of our stocked systems, but if you choose to go with one of the boutique builders listed, you will be more than happy.

Thank you for the honesty. What are all the extras that come with the rifle if I mount my own scope? I thought it was just a bare rifle unless I purchased one of your long range packages.

The rifle would run me about $2,000 more almost to the penny to go through Gunwerks. So I am curious what that all includes. I like the idea of having a full team of customer support available if I need it. The extra money doesn't bother me but I would like to know what I am getting in exchange for it, when you are telling me the rifle itself isn't quite up to snuff with some of the custom gun builders out there. Thanks.

Thank you for the honesty. What are all the extras that come with the rifle if I mount my own scope? I thought it was just a bare rifle unless I purchased one of your long range packages.

The rifle would run me about $2,000 more almost to the penny to go through Gunwerks. So I am curious what that all includes. I like the idea of having a full team of customer support available if I need it. The extra money doesn't bother me but I would like to know what I am getting in exchange for it, when you are telling me the rifle itself isn't quite up to snuff with some of the custom gun builders out there. Thanks.

Obviously, my option is skewed! Take it with a grain of salt. I believe our products are superior in design and function when compared to products assembled from components that are designed and manufactured in an isolated environment by several different companies.

No one does a better job of fit and finish.

That being said,I also believe that the work these high end custom shop produce is exceptional. They are just limited by component compatibility.

Here's just a couple items. Our case and foam runs about 350 ala carte, it's included. The gun has the break in completed with full function and performance testing. The gun will shoot our of the shelf ammo. No one does this, or realizes how hard it is to do. The gun carries our unconditional warranty, and has the benefit of a complete rebuild and refinish for a nominal fee of 500 when you wear or the barrel.

I will say this, if you are planning on loading ammo and mounting your own scope and developing your data you are leaving a lot of the value that we provide on the table.

You will find success either route, I'm sure. For myself, I've always found that that last bit of performance or quality always costs more than you think, but it's worth it.

I have a Gunwerks Magnus 300 RUM and think it's worth every penny. It shoots their ammunition extremely well and has done very well with my handloads also.

My brother just picked up his Magnus 6.5 PRC last weekend. He sighted in, collected some data over the chrono during the process, and took a deer at 690 later that evening. My experience with a few other Gunwerks rifles has been just as positive.

That being said, there are many extremely talented gunsmiths out there. It's part of the fun of going with a custom rifle - YOU pick what product you'd like and go with what makes you happy.

I've handled a few Gunwerks over the years and was never quite able to be convinced, and I really wanted one.

The more I handled them and the more I spoke to owners. I came away with the impression that Gunwerks is primarily a very well marketed firearm that is ideally suited to someone who hunts rarely and possibly shoots their gun for the first time on the same hunting trip.

No disrespect intended to others who have bought a Gunwerks or the company itself... this is just my impression.

I was told by a store salesman (not a Gunwerks salesperson) that the cost of their ammo was offset by the fact that I could buy a box of 20, a new rifle and kill an elk at 1000 yards, all with the same box of 20 rounds. Gunwerks had taken away all the need to practice.

It was then that I started realizing that Gunwerks "complete package" also included LR shooting skill and experience. Whether expressed directly or implied, that implication was there that you didn't need any skills or any actual understanding of what you were doing.

I ended up building a custom. It was about 75% the cost of a Gunwerks and is an exceptional rifle. Imo, a better rifle then a Gunwerks. I've spent way, way more then the cost difference on reloading, but that tradeoff was ok for me.

While I have not owned on of their fine rifles, I believe that one of the greatest things Gunwerks has to offer is a complete shooting system that works for the person who is strictly into hunting and not really into all the exterior ballistics that most members here are, nor reloading. They can provide, at a cost, a system that can get a person on track to success relatively quickly.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.