New gun build

AndyBaumann

I've been kicking around the idea of having my first custom built. I've been looking at gap and building off their non typical. From everything I've read gaps flat out shoot. Second is having Travis from rbros build one. again everything I've read said they flat out shoot also. Third is Alamo precision I've haven't found much information on them though.
Looking to get something in the .264 caliber(leaning towards the 6.5x284 but it's not set in stone yet) and used mainly for hunting. Any first hand experience with any of these builders good or bad would be greatly appreciated. Being from Washington I'm leaning towards rbros.

Andy

Andy

I've had guns by several builders including GAP. None of which I own anymore after having my first Rbros rifle built. I now have 2 and one more being built. Travis is not only a great builder but a stand up guy as well. While building my second rifle Travis ran into a major problem. Even though it wasn't his fault he went above and beyond to make it right. Every rifle is shipped with a dummy round, test target, and load info. Both my rifles shoot better than I do and I have no doubt the third one will too. Call or email Travis and don't waste anymore time thinking about it.

Nathan

I had a custom 7stw built by Travis at Rbros and it is nothing short of amazing. He is a great rifle builder and good guy. If you choose Rbros you wont be disappointed with it.

I just spoke with Travis about having a gun built. He did not want to build on the action I wanted to use(Stiller Predator). He said I'd be better off Truing a Remington.

When I asked about going with a Trued Rem for a 6.5 GAP 4S build he said I'd be better off buying a WSM custom action. I have the Bartlein barrel and was getting ready to order the action.

I asked about using his Rogue(Defiance action) for the build but he didn't seem to understand. I did not want to go with his pre inletted Manners stocks that fit his action. I want a McMillan edge stock.

I got the feeling he didn't want to build a rifle If I didn't agree to use all his components. He said his rifles started at 4200.00 or so.

Maybe we weren't speaking the same language but I'm providing the stock/action and barrel.

Some folks can't think outside their box. If you are going to send it to someone you might try Hired Gun in North Bend, Oregon. I have no financial interest in his operation except he does gunsmith work for me. His phone number is 1(541) 297-6500.

Andy,

Given a choice of any of the top dozen gunsmiths in this country, I know that you won't go wrong. They all have great reputations which have been developed over time with a devotion to quality and customer service. Every forum website has their own version of a 'house gunsmith', the one who they support with recommendations and use as an example of the work they approve of. The members are certainly the same, everyone has an opinion as to who is the best and they are convinced that their opinion is the only one that counts.

Since this is your first custom rifle, I can suggest that you take the time to call or e-mail any of the top 3 or 4 gunsmiths you are considering, to conduct an interview based on what type of rifle and components you are considering. I give this suggestion with great reservation simply because the more time a gunsmith spends on the phone or writing an e-mail, the less time he has to devote to the workload on his bench. It's truly a double-edged sword. But sometimes you have to have a conversation with the experts in order to resolve the design and components you really need and want to have for your build.

In that vein, my opinion runs to GA Precision because of their expertise in designing actions along with the knowledge and experience to utilize the best/newest technology and techniques available which assures you that your build will be the best. You are also drawing on folks that hunt and shoot competitively all the time, using their own designs to gain more experience. The GAP Non-Typical is the outcome of George's hunting experiences and his developmental work on the 6.5 GAP 4S cartridge.

Call them and ask for Ken who will gladly walk you through your thoughts to help you determine what will work best for you.

Regards.

I agree on RBROS. Travis built me a 6.5X47 that is my favorite gun to shoot. The dummy round and load development is also a plus. I have never tried a different bullet as I am sure I could not find one that shoots better than his load. Build went very smooth and all questions were answered quickly. If our Canadian dollar would get stronger I'd have Travis build me another gun.

BEEMAN,

I guess you didn't read this post from the first page:

I just spoke with Travis about having a gun built. He did not want to build on the action I wanted to use(Stiller Predator). He said I'd be better off Truing a Remington.

When I asked about going with a Trued Rem for a 6.5 GAP 4S build he said I'd be better off buying a WSM custom action. I have the Bartlein barrel and was getting ready to order the action.

I asked about using his Rogue(Defiance action) for the build but he didn't seem to understand. I did not want to go with his pre inletted Manners stocks that fit his action. I want a McMillan edge stock.

I got the feeling he didn't want to build a rifle If I didn't agree to use all his components. He said his rifles started at 4200.00 or so.

Maybe we weren't speaking the same language but I'm providing the stock/action and barrel.

It sounds to me like Travis had his mind made up and the client didn't agree.

Regards.

APR is building me a 300 right now and hoping it's done soon, everything thus far with APR has been great...no complaints (well, they may have been complaining about me when i changed just about everything after I said "nope this is what I want" :))

The rifle will be for hunting. Thanks for the responses I just have to give the smiths a call and see which one would be best for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts