new gun build

You haven't mentioned the action type.
I would shy away from a trational Remington 700,or a clone, unless it has been modified for the 6.5 PRC, or you will have trouble chambering rounds from the mag. Ask if Alamo has a direct feed action they install.
Please explain this further. I haven't had issues with wsm or saum cases feeding in rems. What makes the prc different? Thanks. Also, any consideration for a tikka action. Perfect length for the cartridge. Just my 1 cent :)

Please explain this further. I haven't had issues with wsm or saum cases feeding in rems. What makes the prc different? Thanks. Also, any consideration for a tikka action. Perfect length for the cartridge. Just my 1 cent :)
I think it's a problem with 6.5 PRC not feeding smoothly from a standard Rem 700 mag box and follower. I've been told it is due to the large case body and marked narrowing of the neck. Both a friend and I had problems with the feed, but it was corrected by the gunsmith with a modified mag box and follower. Now everything is perfect (I just got mine back today).
I don't have any experience with Tikka actions.

You won't be disappointed. Robert and the boys at Alamo do a great job. They are building my second and third rifle from them now. If it were me I'd go with the Trigger Tech trigger. I've owned a couple of the Jewels and prefer them a little more. Just my opinion. Flush cups are a plus if you like quick detach slings which I do. If you are a traditional sling guy that leaves the sling on year round and uses the traditional sling attachments you may not need the flush cups. But if they come with the build might as well get them.
Ok did a bunch of reading last couple days so got with the gun builder today and decided to go with the Trigger Tech Diamond trigger for the build instead of the Jewel.

You'll love that trigger! I have one of the new Diamond two stage flat shoe on my chassis and really like it. IDK if I'd go two stage on a mountain rifle. I think I'd probably run a single stage with a little more pull weight. On the chassis I run it really light and it's nice to cover the trigger with a few ounces before the wall at ~1lb. If it's cold or a little bit of adrenaline having that light could end up sending it before you're ready. With a bit more weight that shouldn't be a problem. Triggertechs are also safer in the field and much more tolerent of dust, etc.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts