New Member -- Advice/Experience Wanted!

Thank you for all of that information, this actually gave me some information that I wasn't quite understanding and do now. I will admit, I need to learn how to use the turrets, what they do specifically, and when/how much to adjust them. I just did a quick search on the Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44, and it looks like it meets the criteria that you listed above. Now, what does the whole "4-16x44" stand for? Is it 4 to 16 power (unsure what the 44 stands for)? And a scope like this would allow for 500-600 yard shots? Also, do you have any bipod recommendations? I have a cheap $40 bipod currently, and I am definitely not impressed by it's quality. Thanks again for your help.
44 is the objective diameter. Save your money and get the 50 mm OBJ. The first time you find yourself in a low light situaiton you will realize the larger diameter is worth every dime.

I'd skip right past the Vortex if I were you and get the VX5HD or VX6 Leupold having owned quite a few of both over the years. They just beat the Vortex hands down in every measurable way and are far more reliable.

In over 30 years of owning Leupold scopes the only time I've ever had to sent one in for work was an old VX2 3.5-10x50 that was binding badly on the power adjustement and since they couldn't repari it I got a free upgrade to a VX3 3.5-10x50.

I posted the video in case you're going to go high end scopes. That Meopta glass has been compared with top tier glass. Here is my pushfeed M70 30-06 with factory McMillan stock. It wears VariXIII 2.5-8 with Premier mildot reticle. I've shot out to 800 yards easy. My friends have shot it and easily hit small water bottles at 450 yards. It's my go to rifle. Old school drop cards taped to the stock. View attachment 110747
The nice thing about "Old School" is that it will never fail because your batteries died.

Thank you! Yes, I have no problem practicing so many, many hours will be spent with the rifle most definitely. Unfortunately, as of now I have no way to do reloading. Are any of the rounds you listed suitable for "out of the box" use? I completely understand that there is going to be a potential variable if I do not load them myself.
If you're stuck shooting factory ammo you'll just have to try several different loads and hopefully you'll find one it really likes.

Your alternative would be to ship it off to one of the custom guys to work up a load and and load it for you.

It isn't cheap to do the latter but it will get you where you want to be accuracy wise.

44 is the objective diameter. Save your money and get the 50 mm OBJ. The first time you find yourself in a low light situaiton you will realize the larger diameter is worth every dime.

I'd skip right past the Vortex if I were you and get the VX5HD or VX6 Leupold having owned quite a few of both over the years. They just beat the Vortex hands down in every measurable way and are far more reliable.

In over 30 years of owning Leupold scopes the only time I've ever had to sent one in for work was an old VX2 3.5-10x50 that was binding badly on the power adjustement and since they couldn't repari it I got a free upgrade to a VX3 3.5-10x50.

So, I guess my question is, is a 4-16x50 scope what I am looking for? Does Leupold make one? I'm just trying to pin down what magnification I need...

So, I guess my question is, is a 4-16x50 scope what I am looking for? Does Leupold make one? I'm just trying to pin down what magnification I need...
I saw that you're in WA so what will be the most common ranges you'll be hunting? Will you be hunting mostly coastal forests? Will fog, rain, or moisture be a common issue? I saw the 600-650 will be the max range, but what is the likelihood you'll be shooting at this range?

At closer range and dense forests FOV, light gathering, clarity, and color will be more of an issue.

I saw that you're in WA so what will be the most common ranges you'll be hunting? Will you be hunting mostly coastal forests? Will fog, rain, or moisture be a common issue? I saw the 600-650 will be the max range, but what is the likelihood you'll be shooting at this range?

Yes, I primarily hunt central and eastern Washington. Well, that is the maximum range but most of the time it will be closer to the 400-500 range as I have been presented with that opportunity many times.

Ok overkill isnt the right word maybe un neccessary. No such thing as overkill. Believe me that 25 power is very nice for shooting groups. It's just not " needed" for only 650 yards max range. I got along with 16x just fine for a few years
The only advantage to the higher magnificaiton is if you want to really judge a rack at long distance. Even at that I've rarely needed to score one that I couldn't adequately score at any range wity my 3-18x50's.

Generally speaking field of view is larger on low powered scopes. Another generality is that lower powered scopes are brighter. 400, 500. even 650 yards IMO doesn't require that much magnification. I hunted mostly Central Oregon so similar terrain and found 2.5x8 or 2.5-10 about all I needed. But everyone has different tastes. 3-18X will be fine. But whatever you get if you're going to use the dials then spend the extra money to get repeatable dials. And the best quality glass you can get will serve you better and longer. I go more for light gathering, clarity, accurate color than magnification. Just my 2 cents worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.