New LRH glass

SShultz

Hello Folks

Like the title indicates, I'm looking for a new scope to put on the 300 PRC that I'm putting together. I really like to idea of a highly variable scope. I've been eyeing the March, NF NX8, Zeiss V6, and even the Athlon scopes. I already have an ATACR on my HTI and it's amazing but kind of heavy, and a bit over my budget for this rifle.

Must haves: Good FOV at bottom power, MOA, SFP, clear and repeatable. Used is fine. I'd prefer to be in the $1500 range, but cheaper wouldn't hurt my feelings as long as it was good glass. 80 minutes of internal adjustment for elevation.

What do y'all recommend? Pros and cons of what I'm looking at?

Thanks

I've looked at that one as well. Just didn't mention it in the original post. I've read a few hit or miss things on it about tracking issues. If I had the chance to grab one at the right price I'd gamble on it probably lol!

I believe most of the stories of tracking issues were wrapped around the older VX6 scopes and not the HD.
All scopes can have issues including $3000+ top tier european brands. Problem is the turnaround time for repairs on Euro models.

Remember....the lifetime Leupold warranty.... and they stand behind it! Made in USA...

The VX 6 HD is a nice optic. I sponsor a younger boy, he did not like a busy reticle, went 3-18 with plain duplex. He does extremely well with it. But he has time to dial wind, you may not.

I'm a dial guy for elevation and hold for wind. If it's 350 and under I like to be able to hold for fast shots like you're saying. If it's further than that and I don't have time to dial, there's a very good chance I won't take the shot. If a rushed shot is required at or over 400 yards that's easily a gut shot animal.

I love Euro glass...and high end glass in general. So - this is a "out of left field" recommendation: Athlon Ares ETR. Has fantastic glass....I mean - on par with most of the Euro brands and very feature rich. About $1100-1200 street price. And you will not find a better piece of glass for close to that price. Warranty...Like most optics companies - lifetime. No paperwork needed.

I believe most of the stories of tracking issues were wrapped around the older VX6 scopes and not the HD.
All scopes can have issues including $3000+ top tier european brands. Problem is the turnaround time for repairs on Euro models.

Remember....the lifetime Leupold warranty.... and they stand behind it! Made in USA...
And you will probably need it! Twice....

Assembled in USA. Not necessarily "Made in USA".

Last edited:
And you will probably need it! Twice....

I've known shooters that turned in a S&B's for warranty work and waited 6-9 months to get their scopes back... Turn time on a Leopold is much quicker and you can talk to them directly about your issue... Just try that with the euro glass companies....Just my 2 cents....

I love Euro glass...and high end glass in general. So - this is a "out of left field" recommendation: Athlon Ares ETR. Has fantastic glass....I mean - on par with most of the Euro brands and very feature rich. About $1100-1200 street price. And you will not find a better piece of glass for close to that price. Warranty...Like most optics companies - lifetime. No paperwork needed.

OP....Must have list...SFP
Athlon Ares ETR - Good FFP scope for the money, but a little heavy...36 oz

I switched to Zeiss the V4 4-16x44 is awesome low light is spectacular. I'm putting a new build together over winter and it will wear a V6 Zeiss 3-18. Not to mention RedHawk Rifles has them both on sale 799 for V4 1399 for V6.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.