Need new glass... Zeiss? Leupold?

I chuckle when guys buy conquests thinking they bought a real ziess scope. These are not even in the same universe as there top line scopes. Using logic how do you think they go from a 2k scope to a 300 dollar scope? The differnce in the price of the tube is minimal. Its the lenses that are the most expensive part of the scope and thats where corners are cut with conquests. How is it you figure that ziess can make all the components in germany where labor is higher then here, pay to ship it all here to be assembled and sell them cheaper the we can make them or even the japs. Like i said ive got two conquests and like others thought i really had something till i compared them side by side to other 3-400 dollars scopes and i sure know what my eyes told me. there a 300 dollar scope period. Just because they have zeiss printed on them doesnt make them anything more other then to brand snobs. Kind of like putting cadilac stickers on a chevette to me. thanks but ill stick to leupold. there american made, have decent glass, are about as reliable as they come, are used by more professional hunters then all other brands combined and thats who i listen to, Men who actually use them in the field for a living nots salesmen and did i say there american made. Also go to about any competitive rilfe competiion and youll still see more leupolds on the line then any other scope. Sorry but when you lump conquests right in with all zeiss products when making a recomendation and saying there right up there with Kahles your smoking crack. Its a salesmans dream. Slap a premium name on a buget product and set the hook. Before anyone jumps in and thinks im bashing there first born child remember i have two of these and there decent scopes for the money in my opinion but sure not what some will proclaim. Kind of like the people who bought cadilac cimmerons. Tell them they bought a cavalier and theyd go ballistic but putting caddy badges on a cheap chev doesnt make a cadilac.

You are bitter arent you?

why would you think me bitter. I have what i like and even happily use my ziess scopes. Sorry if my attitude scars you off. Ive allways been one that tells it like i see it. I dont pay much attention to much i havent seen with my own two eyes. granted im far from an optics expert and never claimed to be anything of the sort. I have though been hunting for 45 years and have had more rilfes and scopes then the average ten people probably have owned and have killed as many deer as most 20 people you can get together in one place. I tend to talk up what has worked for me and tell it like it is if something doesnt measure up. I chuckle at some who take it so personal. Its like the chevy-ford argument. Youd think some people think they had a hand in actually making there trucks or scopes or that your calling them stupid for not buying something you prefer. I tell it like it is and if that offends you I guess theres an igore buttom somewhere on here. Bottom line is ill continue to give my honest opinions and hopefully help someone else not make some of the mistakes i have through the years. Nope theres not an once of BS or bitterness in my opinions and if you check around on a few other forums youll see my opinions are respected. WHY? because there my opinions based on actual field and life experiences not opinions gleaned from internet bs. ;) :)

Last edited:
I think that's why you and I butt heads so much lloyd. We're too much alike. LOL

I also tell of my own experiences instead of spreading typical internet BS.

Vortex Viper PST 4-16 IMHO is the best scope under $1k for what you have. Very clear and accurate. 800 yards may be tough to hit consistently if you're shooting a .30-'06 with a factory barrel and trigger. May want to look at upgrading those when available. Until then, 500 yards is a more realistic hunting range.

My kind of man! By the way i love playing in the mud too. A little more when i was younger but still get dirty occasionaly.
I think that's why you and I butt heads so much lloyd. We're too much alike. LOL

I also tell of my own experiences instead of spreading typical internet BS.

why would you think me bitter. I have what i like and even happily use my ziess scopes. Sorry if my attitude scars you off. Ive allways been one that tells it like i see it. I dont pay much attention to much i havent seen with my own two eyes. granted im far from an optics expert and never claimed to be anything of the sort. I have though been hunting for 45 years and have had more rilfes and scopes then the average ten people probably have owned and have killed as many deer as most 20 people you can get together in one place. I tend to talk up what has worked for me and tell it like it is if something doesnt measure up. I chuckle at some who take it so personal. Its like the chevy-ford argument. Youd think some people think they had a hand in actually making there trucks or scopes or that your calling them stupid for not buying something you prefer. I tell it like it is and if that offends you I guess theres an igore buttom somewhere on here. Bottom line is ill continue to give my honest opinions and hopefully help someone else not make some of the mistakes i have through the years. Nope theres not an once of BS or bitterness in my opinions and if you check around on a few other forums youll see my opinions are respected. WHY? because there my opinions based on actual field and life experiences not opinions gleaned from internet bs. ;) :)

NOTHING about you scares me dude. Your analogy flat sucks but you think it to be gospel...thats the sad part. And you dont "tell it like it is"...you tell it like you wish it was or believe it to be.

What if 9 companys went together and made parts for Conquest scopes and Ziess put their name on it! ( Analogy sound familiar???) Does it make it any less a Zeiss product especially if Zeiss is the one that will warranty repair it?

Or what about 1 company making products than a second company brands and sells? ( Show me the Craftsman tool plant will ya?) I love my GE toaster...made by Black and Decker!!

A Conquest scope might be a God send to shooters or a piece of ****....bu tif it is a ***...its not because of the bogus reasons you put forth.

My kind of man! By the way i love playing in the mud too. A little more when i was younger but still get dirty occasionaly.
Yeah, I don't play in it as much as I used to, so I'm workin on selling most of my offroad trucks and parts (minus 4-wheeler, use it for hunting too). If I could sell all of them for a reasonable price, I'd be able to buy some nice new guns! LOL Which is what I'm hoping to do. A man CAN have too many trucks and vehicles, but he can NEVER have too many guns. :D

ive downsized too. I used to race dirt bikes and snowmobiles in my younger days but the back operations took that away. I even a couple months ago got rid of my polaris rzr and my yam raptor. All i have left now is my grizzly and my wrangler and a pickup and my artic cat crossfire.. My mind still says speed but my back has taken over control of the common sense section of it.
Yeah, I don't play in it as much as I used to, so I'm workin on selling most of my offroad trucks and parts (minus 4-wheeler, use it for hunting too). If I could sell all of them for a reasonable price, I'd be able to buy some nice new guns! LOL Which is what I'm hoping to do. A man CAN have too many trucks and vehicles, but he can NEVER have too many guns. :D

Heard that... I raced moto-x for 9 years. My mid-back, feet, and ankles are about trashed. I raced green, but ways been a blue & red fan.

I got rid of my Raptor a few years back.

Janno05

GO to a Cabela's or Bass Pro or local shop where they have the glass you are looking for on the shelf and look thru both. Look into the darkest corners of the store. MAKE SURE you ADJUST the EYEPIECE for your eye focus prior. If you don't know how read up.

In store is not the best but maybe if you leave your wallet with them they'll let you take outside and look faaaar away into the dark corners of the earth. Make sure you know how to adjust a scope though.

Either of these scopes are great but my money would go with Zeiss. The Luppy people are good folks too as are the Zeiss service departments. Not that I had Zeiss ever go back but have had Luppy's go back more than once. That said they have changed their quality control and are much better now. I just think the Zeiss is clearer and work better for my old eyes.

I just have a Honda Recon for pulling out dead critters.

I am also looking for a new scope. Think we could stop seeing who has the biggest "opinion" and maybe get back on the track of the thread?

If you were to purchase a new scope, let's say for a .308, shooting out to say 800 yards, for under $1000.00 what would you buy?

Please support your position with facts and comparisons to current models (let's say less then 3 years old)

I don't mean to be rude, but if I wanted to watch a bunch of dogs **** on each others spot, I go to the dog park.

I dont want to get into any more ****ing matchs with the brand cheerleaders so ill just say this. IF your looking at 800 yard shooting for the most part standard line rifles scopes arent what you really are going to want. You need superior optics and tracking thats very precise. That puts you into the 1000 dollar price range. High end vortex, leupolds, zeiss, nikons ect will get it done or you can step up in price and get a nightforce which is probably the prefered scope for serious long range work. Most of these dedicated long range scopes also have a bit more elevation ajustment built into them and with a 308 at 800 yards your going to need it.

Thanks Lloyd. I was using $1000.00 as an upper limit. The max distance would be 1000 yds. I am looking at Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. That hits right at $1000 limit. Anybody use Vortex (Seekins?) precision matched rings?

Like I stated in my previous reply, I think Vortex is the best Long Range scope under $1k. I did a lot of research and had the same questions you have now. I read a lot of reviews and went and looked at a lot of scopes. Leupolds are too expensive for what you get, Nikon didn't have the quality/clarity I was looking for. Nightforce are awesome, but in no way are they twice as good as Vortex. So for half the price of NF I went with the Vortex viper PST secured with Evolution Gun Werks rings and picitanny rale. So far no issues or regrets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.