New Glass

Razor Gen 2, Razor AMG, and Mark 5HD glass is pretty much a wash from my experience. I have owned both the Vortex, and shot behind several Mark 5.

What is the budget? A 3-15×50, 4-16×50, 3-18×50, 3-20×50, etc. would serve you very well for a hunting rifle out to any actual hunting distance that a .300Wby could support.

Last edited:
Drtony, call Val at Valdada optics and ask
Him about the Valdada G2. It exceeds every requirement you have. 40mm maintube, ffp, 100 minutes of dial up. Clearest glass man can make (German Schott lenses and Japanese objective). 56mm objective. You could drag it behind your vehicle and it will function flawlessly. Imo, this is the best value in high end optics in my lifetime. You may try calling Bob at Mirage ULR to
Save $100 on the purchase price. I
Promise you will not be disappointed even if comparing to Us Optics, BEAST, S&B, etc. Valdada scopes are unbelievable and unbeatable.

I have a semi custom 300 weatherby that is getting put together by a gunsmith right now. When I get it back, I would like to upgrade my glass. I was wondering if you all would recommend a Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56 or a Vortex razor HD gen II 4.5-27x56. As far as I can tell, the Mark 5 has more elevation/windage adjustment and is a full pound lighter. I chose these two for FFP (which I prefer, even in a hunting scope). Open to other suggestions.

What would you recommend I get? This rifle will be my hunting companion for the rest of my life! When I go elk hunting, moose (dream hunt), antelope, big horn (if I am blessed enough to one day) I will be carrying this weatherby!

Mark 5 HD is my choice, I bought a 5-25x56 with the PR-1 MOA reticle and like it so much that I got a Mark 5 3.6-18x44.

I've done a tall target tracking test on both and they were dead on.
The eye box is super forgiving on these scopes, and the .2 moa dot is awesome for precise aiming.

I used the 3.6-18 for a 2 day match a few weeks ago and honestly it was plenty out to 1000 yards, the turrets were awesome for rapid adjustments on multiple targets and I never had an issue loosing track of where I was rotation wise.
The eye box allows for really fast target acquisition, and also made it easy to spot my shots

Also if you're looking for rings check out the Leupold Back Country 35mm's they weigh a little over 3 oz and are priced reasonably.

If you can get a demo for $1600 I don't think you'll ever find a better scope for the price.

Him about the Valdada G2. It exceeds every requirement you have. 40mm maintube, ffp, 100 minutes of dial up. Clearest glass man can make (German Schott lenses and Japanese objective). 56mm objective. You could drag it behind your vehicle and it will function flawlessly. Imo, this is the best value in high end optics in my lifetime. You may try calling Bob at Mirage ULR to
Promise you will not be disappointed even if comparing to Us Optics, BEAST, S&B, etc. Valdada scopes are unbelievable and unbeatable.

That's what I was thinking my last post was for the price range I would consider IOR valdada. Probably a better scope for the money. Most of their scope models are up there with the top of the top scopes.

the g2 has 42 mils of dial up whic is actually closer to 150 moa. the 40mm main tube allows for this unparalleled dial range.

I have a semi custom 300 weatherby that is getting put together by a gunsmith right now. When I get it back, I would like to upgrade my glass. I was wondering if you all would recommend a Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56 or a Vortex razor HD gen II 4.5-27x56. As far as I can tell, the Mark 5 has more elevation/windage adjustment and is a full pound lighter. I chose these two for FFP (which I prefer, even in a hunting scope). Open to other suggestions.

What would you recommend I get? This rifle will be my hunting companion for the rest of my life! When I go elk hunting, moose (dream hunt), antelope, big horn (if I am blessed enough to one day) I will be carrying this weatherby!
i like zeiss conquest scopes on my big game rifles ! ive used them for moose, elk , coyotes and targets and they are my favorite !

It's all personal preference but for my two cents; took my two Nightforce scopes off and put them on the shelf to mount my Razor HD gen II's, have the Mark 5 on one RPR but soon to switch out with a Vortex! My opinion and doesn't need any explanation! I also have a Khales but for the money if I didn't already have it, it would be the Razor HD!
jshepherd61: what models are you NF scopes and are you interested in selling? thanx, Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.