New LR Shooter

srmblr1982cj8 makes a good point. It would be a good idea to go long range with the 7 mag and mid range with the 308. I been looking at the 300 win mag but that's a lot of gun and more than I need. (maybe some day) I thing the 7 will do a fine job at distance.

At 1,000 yards, it is basically a mortar shot to hit the target. A 168g .308 drops about 38 feet, while a 7mm (I forget what grain bullet) drops about 25 feet. One can certainly use a .308 effectively at 1,000, but if you are just getting started, I'd go with the flatter shooting caliber. Build confidence and some experience, then start playing with other calibers.

I interviewed for a job in Bismarck in 2002. Didn't get hired on but liked the city.

Bismarck, I also hunt in the Fredonia, Lehr area and Mott area (south central and south west). I use open sites my whole life. I just sited in both the rifles the other day. (the wife was good to me for xmas). Never used a scope before 2 weeks ago and figured now is a good of a time as any to get into the long range stuff. I got addicted while siting them in. Been reading up ever since. I found this site and wanted advise from guys that have been doing this for awhile and know what they are doing.

Guessing you are in Grand Forks area?

Walhalla

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.