New LR setup

ahiaring

New to the sight and really hope to learn a lot and contribute back. I am working on my first LR build with the idea of practicing on steel out to 800 yards and as proficiency comes, to some day translate that to long range mule deer and elk.

I have a Vortex Viper PST 4-16X mrad scope that Will go on the rifle. This has been on my AR for over a year and has really allowed me to practice and learn MRAD adjustments and dialing.

I am looking at a Remington 700 Long Range model (26" barrel, M40 B&C stock). Cartridge wise it is offered in 7mmRem, 300 win, 300 rum. I plan on trying to find a load with Nosler LR Accubonds as I have always been a nosler shooter. I was leaning towards the 7 mm as I may try to do some competive shooting and less recoil will be better for that.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks

Adam

The new 700 LR looks to be an excellent rifle, and quite a package deal for the price. It has a $300 B&C Medalist stock on it from the factory, and a 26" heavy barrel. That already puts you ahead in the game. All that's left is replace the trigger with a Jewell, bed the action, float the barrel, slap some optics on it, and develop your load, and you'll be set.

I have been debating on getting a couple of them to try out (7mm RM & .25-06).

I think the 7mmRM would be a great option, although you will get slightly better barrel life with the .300WM. Other than that, they are VERY close ballistically and performance-wise.

I am a 7mm fan, so I would go 7mmRM, as it is my favorite all-around caliber for just about any type of game hunting, and with heavy bullet can really reach on out there and do-so efficiently.

I use the Berger 168 VLD's for my hunting loads in 7mmRM and they have performed flawlessly. The 160gr Nosler Accubonds have been an excellent bullet for me, as well.

The new 700 LR looks to be an excellent rifle, and quite a package deal for the price. It has a $300 B&C Medalist stock on it from the factory, and a 26" heavy barrel. That already puts you ahead in the game. All that's left is replace the trigger with a Jewell, bed the action, float the barrel, slap some optics on it, and develop your load, and you'll be set.

I have been debating on getting a couple of them to try out (7mm RM & .25-06).

I think the 7mmRM would be a great option, although you will get slightly better barrel life with the .300WM. Other than that, they are VERY close ballistically and performance-wise.

I am a 7mm fan, so I would go 7mmRM, as it is my favorite all-around caliber for just about any type of game hunting, and with heavy bullet can really reach on out there and do-so efficiently.

I use the Berger 168 VLD's for my hunting loads in 7mmRM and they have performed flawlessly. The 160gr Nosler Accubonds have been an excellent bullet for me, as well.

While I generally agree, I would lean more towards the 180grain Berger Hybrid. With a 7RM you have sufficient powder capacity to really get the 180 going.

The Remington 700 LR is a nice rifle I think. I have one with the same scope and chambered in 300RUM. I can say that mine shoots the factory remington power level 1 150gr accutip loads under 1 inch at 100 yards out of the box. I can say that the 300 RUM can be brutal to shoot, so if you dont like recoil I would suggest a different caliber or get a brake put on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.