New Light Weight Build Plan - Ti & Carbon 6.5 SAUM 4S

6point5x284

LRH Team,

I'm putting the finishing touches on...lets say a medium weight medium range build plan. Goal is a rifle about 6.5 lbs (without optic) that can take a beating, and effective to 700 yards on game. I have a long range hammer in my signature for longer shots, and a sub 7lb scoped Kimber for a lightweight dark timber gun. Primarily for mule deer and elk in my MT hunting grounds. Berger 140 VLD will me my main bullet, at least until my massive stockpile from my 6.5x284 is diminished.

Cartridge: 6.5 SAUM 4S (.296 neck, .120 FB)

Action: Lone Peak Arms Razor Ti SA (20 oz online specs)

Stock: Stockys Stocks M50 Carbon Fiber (31 oz confirmed)

Barrel: Proof Sendero Contour (not Sendero Lite) 26" 1:8 twist (3lb 5.1 oz online specs before smithing)

Rings: Hawkins Long Range Hybrid 25 MOA 30mm (3 oz)

Trigger: Trigger Tech @ 2lb pull (weight not yet measured)

Bottom Metal: Factory SA Rem 700P bottom metal (weight not yet measured)

Action Screws: Factory Rem 700P Screws (weight not yet measured)

Spring: Factory LA Rem 700 Spring (weight not yet measured)

Follower: Factory Rem 700 SAUM Follower (weight not yet measured)

Muzzle Brake: TBD (hoping on a custom turned to contour Titanium brake from Rbros)

Scope: Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15x50 MIL/MIL (24.3 oz confirmed)

Bipod: Javelin Ultralight Bipod (I run an adapter on all my rifles. I love this bipod)

I have all parts on hand with the exception of the action that is finishing up bolt nitride at LPA. Expect it within 2 weeks. Is there any changes/recommendations anyone would offer while it's still easy to change? Initially, I wanted a Manners MCS-T with Elite fill, but ordered the Stockys Carbon Fiber M50 while I waited on a good Holiday deal. After getting the stock however, I am actually VERY impressed with it. It actually feels better made than my EH-1 in my signature, and definitely feels more durable. I was worried 32 oz was a tad heavy, but weighed my EH-1 and my Kimber MT stock, and they are both 31 oz. I can shed a few oz if I replace the butt pad with a light weight butt pad, so may do that down the road. After spending some time with the M50, I canceled my MCS-T Elite stock plan.

Any feedback before I take it all to Rbros to spin together?

I'll update with confirmed weights as I weigh each piece individually prior to dropping off.

I just put together a rifle somewhat similar on a Remington action with a 24" #3 barrel. My barrel weight was 3lbs 4oz and my McMillan Edge fill Game Scout was 1lb 10oz. All up the gun weighs 7lbs 4oz and with a VX6 3x18 in Talleys it weighs 8lbs 12oz. I'd guess your finish weigh of the rifle to be about 6lbs 12oz and the weight with scope to be 8lbs 4-6oz.

Update on some weights.

Action: Lone Peak Arms Razor Ti SA (20 oz online specs...went up from 18.5 oz listed online a few weeks ago)

Barrel: Proof Sendero (M24 Contour) 26" 1:8 twist (3lb 5.1 oz)

Trigger: Trigger Tech @ 2lb pull (1.809 oz)

Bottom Metal: Factory SA Rem 700P bottom metal (1.998 oz)

Action Screws: Factory Rem 700P Screws (.578 oz)

Spring: Factory LA Rem 700 Spring (.398 oz)

Follower: Factory Rem 700 SAUM Follower (.539 oz)

Muzzle Brake: TBD (hoping on a custom turned to contour Titanium brake from Rbros)

Scope: Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15x50 MIL/MIL (24.3 oz)

Bipod: Javelin Ultralight Bipod Adapter (.469 oz)

Looks like bare rifle should be 6 lb 13.4 oz (without muzzle brake), and scoped should be 8 lb 8.7 oz. Ti brake will add a little bit. Should end up a hair over 3 lbs lighter than my .300 WM in my signature. Will be appreciated while hiking in!

Update on some weights.

Action: Lone Peak Arms Razor Ti SA (20 oz online specs)

Barrel: Proof Sendero (M24 Contour) 26" 1:8 twist (3lb 5.1 oz)

Trigger: Trigger Tech @ 2lb pull (1.809 oz)

Bottom Metal: Factory SA Rem 700P bottom metal (1.998 oz)

Action Screws: Factory Rem 700P Screws (.578 oz)

Spring: Factory LA Rem 700 Spring (.398 oz)

Follower: Factory Rem 700 SAUM Follower (.539 oz)

Scope: Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15x50 MIL/MIL (24.3 oz)

Bipod: Javelin Ultralight Bipod Adapter (.469 oz)

One way to save weight and $$$ would be to put a #3 fluted Brux on it. I have one on a VERY lightweight rifle and it shoots great!.......Rich

Primarily, in the event I add a suppressor in the future, I wanted a bit more meat. It was a 3.5 oz increase but figured it may be worth it if I go that route down the road. I thought a suppressed 6.5 SAUM 4S might make a sweet long range wolf gun.

One way to save weight and $$$ would be to put a #3 fluted Brux on it. I have one on a VERY lightweight rifle and it shoots great!.......Rich

Or go with a sendero light contour in the proof. A #3 spiral fluted Brux and a Proof sendero lite will weigh almost exactly the same. I've compared them side by side same length and chambering. But to be fair both barrels will shoot lights out.

Primarily, in the event I add a suppressor in the future, I wanted a bit more meat. It was a 3.5 oz increase but figured it may be worth it if I go that route down the road. I thought a suppressed 6.5 SAUM 4S might make a sweet long range wolf gun.

My 6.5 SAUM with a sendero lite handles a suppressor quite nicely. Pictured is a thunderbeast ultra 7 can.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 229
My 6.5 SAUM with a sendero lite handles a suppressor quite nicely. Pictured is a thunderbeast ultra 7 can.

Glad to hear. That setup is pure evil! I'm a ways out from the suppressor still. I already have the Sendero contour sitting in the safe, so won't change at this point. I should have posted this thread earlier, and meant to, but life got in the way. Maybe now I'll shoot it in a match just to justify the bigger contour to myself gun)

So LPA mixed up the order and had it as stainless, so for the Razor Ti with a SA Mag bolt face it will be a few months out as they're just getting in more bar stock Ti. So, they are going to get me a Fuzion Ti SA Mag bolt face, with the center rails cut away leaving a small rail at the front and back. It will total out .5 oz heavier than the Razor Ti, but already have rails. Should be interesting. Should have it in about a month. Will keep everyone posted!

I have a similar build, although it is 6.5CM. I have a Sendero contour Proof 22" barrel with 3 port MB, trued SS rem 700 action, fluted bolt, factory floor plate, Wyatt CF box, McMillan edge fill game warden, Hastings ultralight recoil pad, Timney 510. It weights 6.5lbs. It weights 8lbs on the nose with the VX6HD 3-18x44 with Talley low 30mm 20MOA lightweight bases. They just barely clear the barrel and objective. I went back and forth on a Ti action or a Deviant ultralight. I ended up with a decent deal on a factory R700 with parts i wanted on other projects. I am curious to see what your rifle finishes at. Sounds like you will have one nice set up. I ordered my Sendero before the Sendero Lite was available. By the time the build started the Lite was available. If I went with the lite I could have saved a few more ounces with a Game scout stock.

I have a similar build, although it is 6.5CM. I have a Sendero contour Proof 22" barrel with 3 port MB, trued SS rem 700 action, fluted bolt, factory floor plate, Wyatt CF box, McMillan edge fill game warden, Hastings ultralight recoil pad, Timney 510. It weights 6.5lbs. It weights 8lbs on the nose with the VX6HD 3-18x44 with Talley low 30mm 20MOA lightweight bases. They just barely clear the barrel and objective. I went back and forth on a Ti action or a Deviant ultralight. I ended up with a decent deal on a factory R700 with parts i wanted on other projects. I am curious to see what your rifle finishes at. Sounds like you will have one nice set up. I ordered my Sendero before the Sendero Lite was available. By the time the build started the Lite was available. If I went with the lite I could have saved a few more ounces with a Game scout stock.

How do you like the Hastings Ultralight Recoil Pad? What size did you get? I've been considering that as it can save off some weight pretty easily. I was concerned about fitment, but figured if I bought it a good smith could remove the factory and install the ultralight? Let me know your thoughts if you have any! Sounds like a nice rifle you built.

I went with something similar. I used a standard 700 action at the beginning and right now i sent the rifle to my smith so he would install the proof barrel on a 700 Ti action with a switchlug. It should be back in around 2 weeks.

Rem 700 Action
proof sendero lite 1:8
manners EH-1
Snowy mountain Break
m-5 DBM
rifle basic trigger
ARC rings
EGW HD rail
Swaro Z3 3.5-10X42

The new upgrades will be:
Rem 700 Ti Action
Jewel trigger
Switchlug recoil lug and a bunch of barrels!!!!!!!
7mm rem mag
28 Nosler throated for 195gr
TBD

Attachments

• IMG_0136_zpswoeponsn.jpg
    IMG_0136_zpswoeponsn.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0134_zpstzumipld.jpg
    IMG_0134_zpstzumipld.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_8828_zpsqhmux8rp.jpg
    IMG_8828_zpsqhmux8rp.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 169
How do you like the Hastings Ultralight Recoil Pad? What size did you get? I've been considering that as it can save off some weight pretty easily. I was concerned about fitment, but figured if I bought it a good smith could remove the factory and install the ultralight? Let me know your thoughts if you have any! Sounds like a nice rifle you built.

I really like the recoil pad. I got the medium .91". I have not shot the rifle yet, I had to send the scope back. I did spend a bunch of time behind it leveling the scope. Time will tell how durable they are, but they seem pretty tough for as light as they are. They are only 25$ too. It is a cheap way to save a little weight. They seem soft enough to be effective. I will definitely be using them on future builds.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts