New Hunting Rifle: Weatherby or Sako?

NEITHER.... Heck I'd go buy a savage or Mossberg or TC....it's not worth all the extra money for the name Sako or We at her by...if you just going to big game hunt all will hit a basketball at 500 provided you get a decent scope and practice a little..put the $400.00 towards the scope... T/C venture in 270 win...you won't need anything else.

Dtex & others call Accuflite Arms Inc, 724 733 3666 they build custom rifles on any sako action made , they can answer any and all questions I'm sure , no i don't work for them or sako in any way shape or form, I own Remington's Savages had Winchesters Own Weatherby Vangard,no Tikkas or A7 Sakos but I have friends that do and they shoot Fantastic ,yes many people not happy with beretta,that don't meen the sako factory isn't turning out Great rifles ,at one time Winchester &Remington turned out some of the Best rifles ever built ,not the case today but they could turn that around ifin they really wanted to, Look how Savage has up their Product and game & Name ! Quality is quality yes it can be pricy ,we all take are chances when we buy ,but remember lightbulb It takes a Rich man to buy cheap scopes @ the same with rifles, regards jjmp

Everyone knows I bought an Accumark brand new in 2008. They also know the issues I had with it. Everyone also knows How much I hate Savage.

That being said, I would rather be forced to own a safe full of Savages than 1 more Weatherby. Just my personal opinion.

If you are going to spend between $700 and $1200 you might take a look at a Browning or Winchester. Other than that I agree with Frank in the Laurels a Savage, Tikka, Ruger American or T/C Venture in the caliber and distance you want shoot will get the job done for a lot less $$$.

I've decided there are no perfect or best rifles out there. I have likes and dislikes about every single one I've picked up thus far. It's just going to come down to which one you like better.

Personally, I'm just looking for one that shoots straight with factory ammo, just works and doesn't require any tweaking or babying. I just want to put cartridges in it, go hunting rain or shine, and not worry about getting it banged up.

I've decided there are no perfect or best rifles out there. I have likes and dislikes about every single one I've picked up thus far. It's just going to come down to which one you like better.

Personally, I'm just looking for one that shoots straight with factory ammo, just works and doesn't require any tweaking or babying. I just want to put cartridges in it, go hunting rain or shine, and not worry about getting it banged up.

Best of luck to you on your very arduous and very expensive journey.

I also agree with Frank in the Laurels. For your price point you should really be looking at a Savage. They are currently some of the most accurate rifles out of the box bar none.

Savage are also American made and have good aftermarket support for barrels, stocks, etc. You can replace the barrel yourself with a few tools. That is one of their huge selling points. If you decide you don't like the caliber, you can order custom aftermarket barrel for it and change the caliber! Get something in the Savage Weather Warrior. You will be amazed at the accuracy.

Plus Tikka doesn't have a true recoil lug. If you shoot mag calibers in them they can lose their accuracy and you might have to pay a smith to pull the barrel and install a traditional recoil lug.

Figured I would get my 2 cents in since you asked about Sako their ejection problems and customer service. Here is the very short version of the story. Fall of 2014 bought a new Sako 85 finnlight in 300 win mag put Sako bases rings and a leupold vx6 on it. Shot it 6 times which was more than enough to find out it didn't eject properly. After months of phone calls and waiting for calls to be returned I finally was able to speak to the top guy at Beretta about my issue He told me They would not do anything about it Sako would not do anything about it and gave me the contact info for their legal department. Because in his words that taking them to court was my only option! That said I would say their customer service and warranty SUCKS!! Especially since all I had to do to fix the problem was replace the ejector spring with a new $1 spring. Unfortunately now my warranty is void.:rolleyes:

Figured I would get my 2 cents in since you asked about Sako their ejection problems and customer service. Here is the very short version of the story. Fall of 2014 bought a new Sako 85 finnlight in 300 win mag put Sako bases rings and a leupold vx6 on it. Shot it 6 times which was more than enough to find out it didn't eject properly. After months of phone calls and waiting for calls to be returned I finally was able to speak to the top guy at Beretta about my issue He told me They would not do anything about it Sako would not do anything about it and gave me the contact info for their legal department. Because in his words that taking them to court was my only option! That said I would say their customer service and warranty SUCKS!! Especially since all I had to do to fix the problem was replace the ejector spring with a new $1 spring. Unfortunately now my warranty is void.:rolleyes:

That's just plain sad. As an individual about the only financially feasible recourse you have is to either fix it yourself or get rid of it. And they know that, which is why they don't care. Glad to hear you were able to solve the problem though.

Best of luck to you on your very arduous and very expensive journey.

There you go using those fancy words. I had to go look that one up. :)

And yeah, I've begun to figure that out. They all seem to have their quirks. Or is it that reading forums such as this one has increased my expectation level? :D

There you go using those fancy words. I had to go look that one up. :)

And yeah, I've begun to figure that out. They all seem to have their quirks. Or is it that reading forums such as this one has increased my expectation level? :D

Well, I say that because you might find the gun you love, and the ammo you want to shoot, and your particular rifle might hate the combo. And then you spend days at the range and thousands of dollars on factory ammo trying to fight a losing battle.

This is why handloading pays for itself over time...Not necessarily in monetary form, but in eliminating major headaches and lots of money wasted on factory ammo. It allows you to custom tailor your ammo to your specific rifle and achieve the results you want much easier, cheaper, and faster than going the factory ammo route.

Well, I say that because you might find the gun you love, and the ammo you want to shoot, and your particular rifle might hate the combo. And then you spend days at the range and thousands of dollars on factory ammo trying to fight a losing battle.

This is why handloading pays for itself over time...Not necessarily in monetary form, but in eliminating major headaches and lots of money wasted on factory ammo. It allows you to custom tailor your ammo to your specific rifle and achieve the results you want much easier, cheaper, and faster than going the factory ammo route.

Ah, gotcha. If what I end up with doesn't live up to my expectations, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the clarification. I like to tinker with stuff like that anyway, just don't have the time these days. I use to load shotgun shells by the case years ago, but now I hardly ever even shoot a shotgun.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.