New Hunting Rifle: Weatherby or Sako?

Dtex

I know there are a lot of forums out there comparing Weatherby and Sako rifles, but I have not found any threads comparing the two specific rifles I am looking at, so I thought maybe some of ya'll would have some experiences with one or both.

I am debating between the Weatherby Vanguard Accuguard or the Sako A7 Roughtech Pro.

Both rifles offer the caliber I want, .270 Win.
Both guarantee Sub-MOA
Both have stainless steel fluted barrels and textured composite stocks
Both have ~24" barrels (Weatherby is 24", Sako is 24.4")
Weight is very similar for both and is negligible for my intended use

I can find the Weatherby for a little less than $900 out the door and the Sako for just under $1200 out the door.

My question is that since they seem to offer relatively the same thing in a hunting rifle, is it worth the extra $300 to buy the Sako? Is it that much nicer or a better shooter to warrant the additional $300?

Please keep in mind that I am looking for a nice hunting rifle and that this rifle will be my go-to rifle for pretty much any and all game in Texas that I can hunt (not including exotics) from 100-400yds, realistically (and I will mount a 3-10 scope on it as well).

Any advice, recommendations, or experiences shared are much appreciated! Thanks!!

Last edited:
I know there are a lot of forums out there comparing Weatherby and Sako rifles, but I have not found any threads comparing the two specific rifles I am looking at, so I thought maybe some of ya'll would have some experiences with one or both.

I am debating between the Weatherby Vanguard Accuguard or the Sako A7 Roughtech Pro.

Both rifles offer the caliber I want, .270 Win.
Both guarantee Sub-MOA
Both have stainless steel fluted barrels and textured composite stocks
Both have ~24" barrels (Weatherby is 24", Sako is 24.4")
Weight is very similar for both and is negligible for my intended use

I can find the Weatherby for a little less than $900 out the door and the Sako for just under $1200 out the door.

My question is that since they seem to offer relatively the same thing in a hunting rifle, is it worth the extra $300 to buy the Sako? Is it that much nicer or a better shooter to warrant the additional $300?

Please keep in mind that I am looking for a nice hunting rifle and that this rifle will be my go-to rifle for pretty much any and all game in Texas that I can hunt (not including exotics) from 100-400yds, realistically (and I will mount a 3-10 scope on it as well).

Any advice, recommendations, or experiences shared are much appreciated! Thanks!!

My personal preference would be the SAKO. If you have not tried to cycle the action yet, it is buttery soft and it's very accurate. IMHO, the $300 difference is worth it ... but that's just me.

Having said that, both will serve you well for your intended purpose.

I don't have any Weatherbys but have two Sakos, Two Tikkas and had an A-7 and sorry I sold it. All are sub MOA with the right factory ammo.

Hi, I'd lean Sako ,but gotta say Weatherbys uped their game nicely,ultimately it's you call , and yes I'm a owner of both , good luck! regards jjmp :)

Thanks guys! So two votes for the Sako. I appreciate the feedback.

FEENIX, I had read about the smooth action of the Sako, it sounds awesome.

The more research I do, the more I lean to the Sako.

I have just read some negative things about the customer service since Beretta bought the company. I have also read some things about accuracy issues with the synthetic stocked Sakos and about how some models have recently been ejecting casings upward into the scope. Not sure if these are just a very small group of people with some bad experiences, so I was wondering if you may have heard of these issues.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Hi, I'd lean Sako ,but gotta say Weatherbys uped their game nicely,ultimately it's you call , and yes I'm a owner of both , good luck! regards jjmp :)

Thanks for the recommendation. I think its quite obvious that the Sako is the higher quality firearm, but I am just getting hung up on the price. Ive read a lot of things about how the Weatherby Vanguard may be one of the best bang for your buck for out of the box accuracy, especially the Accuguard. I dont have an unlimited budget and I wanted to keep it under $1k, but the quality of the Sako is very tempting.

Thanks again for your post, I appreciate the advice.

Thks bac, forgot to mention my newest sako is a Used Model 75 ss/sth STW , my Weatherbys a older Vangard blued 24 inch synthetic 300 Bee ,changed out fact trigger and it's fine a sako no but a very good rifle non the less , hey try finding a Md 75 sako in 270 wcf ,problem solved lightbulb ,yes their mor money I'm just helping you spend it Better :Dgun)gun)gun),regards jjmp

Does the newer A7 Roughtechs suffer from the ejection problem like some are reporting on the Finnlight 85s? I looked at A7 Roughtech in 308 a couple weeks ago at Bass Pro. Very nice looking rifles. But I'd be sick if I paid that much for one and then had to jack the scope up high to get the empty brass to clear.

Does the newer A7 Roughtechs suffer from the ejection problem like some are reporting on the Finnlight 85s? I looked at A7 Roughtech in 308 a couple weeks ago at Bass Pro. Very nice looking rifles. But I'd be sick if I paid that much for one and then had to jack the scope up high to get the empty brass to clear.

KB, I too would like to know if someone has feedback on this. Like I stated earlier, the A7 seems like the clear winner in terms of quality (out of the two rifles I am comparing in this thread), but through my research I have also seen things about some of their synthetic models having both ejection and accuracy issues. And to top it off, those who i have read are having issues with this, have also had very negative things to say about the Beretta customer service. I guess it'd just be nice to get some feedback from someone who has recently purchased an A7. They sure are beautiful rifles, but at that price point, i would hope it functions like a dream!

I've been checking out the Accuguard as well and have been looking for some reviews also. The Sako's are very nice rifles - my stepdad has an 85 Finnlight in 308. I've shot it quite a bit and never noticed any brass hitting the scope.

This thread has me considering a Sako as well although my budget would appreciate the Weatherby a little more.

KB, I too would like to know if someone has feedback on this. Like I stated earlier, the A7 seems like the clear winner in terms of quality (out of the two rifles I am comparing in this thread), but through my research I have also seen things about some of their synthetic models having both ejection and accuracy issues. And to top it off, those who i have read are having issues with this, have also had very negative things to say about the Beretta customer service. I guess it'd just be nice to get some feedback from someone who has recently purchased an A7. They sure are beautiful rifles, but at that price point, i would hope it functions like a dream!

Looks like you've turned over the same stones as I. My understanding is certain calibers are worse than others, at least on the 85. I fondled an 85 Finnlight recently also and wow, it's a really nice rifle. But I've about decided it's a little too nice for what I'm looking for.

I really like the feel of the stock on the A7. It's a little heavier than some of the others, which is another reason I like it. I've heard the same thing on Berretta's customer service. About the only thing I could do if something was wrong is send it down the road, at a loss no doubt.

Keep in mind the A7 is at the "low rent" end of the Sako line. Mine had the following issues: rounds sometimes would not eject, ammo popped between detachable mag lips, barrel channel needed sanding; most aggravating problem was a hair-tearing accuracy issue that I finally traced to the crappy pair of Weaver-type scope bases that come with these rifles.
I've not shot the Weatherby model you speak of. Have handled one enough to make me seriously think of trading my Sako for it, though; just wasn't the chambering (.240) I wanted to tackle at the time.
Only if you were comparing that Weatherby to say, at least a 75/85 series Sako, would I recommend going with with the Finn-built rifle.

I have several Vanguard in various flavors. Each shoots sub-moa with factory ammo, and some shoot a lot better than that. I have nothing but praise for them, and just bought yet another this week.

I would recommend handling each one, and see what you think once you try them out.

morning accu=mark, I have 340WB. extremely accurate. try and find parts for a sako.

I have an A-7 25 STW. finally found a very good load. like said hard to find parts.lightbulbgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.