New hunting rifle questions!

wbyfireman

I have about 1000-1200$ to spend on a new hunting rifle (already have optics, Sightron SIII 6-24X50) I am thinking about getting the Remington SPS 700 Long Range Hunter in 7MM Mag. Since this rifle runs about 650$ I was going to have the funds to bed it, true the action, and have a Timney trigger installed at the gun shop. Is this a good place to start, and is this money well spent?

I don't mind the extra few pounds the gun comes with so heavy barrel is not a problem. I am also beginning to reload so i will be able to get some good loads to run through it down the road also.

Would i be better off spending the money on a new stock? The stock is supposed to be an upgrade for the varmint stock they currently use and it is already pillar bedded.

Any suggestions, ideas, or comments would be appreciated!!

FWIW--This past hunting season here in Arizona every deer I glassed up with my 15X56 binos that presented a shot were between 480-890 yds. Just the nature of the beast in the high desert; and I was not able to take a shot because I did not have the confidence in my rifle. Thus tag soup for me. Hopefully this new setup along with practice gives me new hope next season!!:)

Remington is probably the most customizable platform sounds like a good place to start to me. the trigger is a great first upgrade to it. invest in good scope mounts and see how it shoots then upgrade from there.

With that budget either the Remington Sendero or Winchester Extreme Weather M70.

If you aren't stuck on a caliber either 7mm Rem Mag or 300wm are two great cartridges to consider for your first LR rifle.

When it comes to ease of customization the M700 and Mod 70 are the two most popular actions of the last fifty years and there's an enormous amount of aftermarket stocks and parts for them.

The 7mm Rem and 300win can handle any species of game in N. America even big bears and if you exclude the big bears then you can handle anything out to about 800yds with confidence and power to spare.

Take moose and elk out of the equation and stick to deer/antelope sized came and you can stretch it out to 1,000yds very easily.

Of course those two calibers have an enormous selection of high quality factory ammo and reloading components available as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.