New rifle and scope questions

I recently bought a Savage 112BVSS chambered in 7MM Remington Magnum. The only other rifle I own was a package deal and came with a scope already on it, so I don't know how to put a scope on.

I'm planning on buying a Sightron SII 6-24X42MM scope and putting it on the rifle. I know that I need to buy scope mounts, except does the kind I need to buy depend on the rifle and scope? What else do I need to buy besides a scope and mounts? Is mounting it something the average person can do by themselves? I might be mail ordering it, so I can't ask the store I order it from to do it. Do I have to go to a gunsmith?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Yes it does matter what bases you buy but not so much as the mounts as long as it is the same tube diameter as the scope. I would by burris signiture mounts. I have mounted scopes myself it is very difficult but you might want a gunsmith to do it for you. That is up to you. Sounds like you got a real accurate rig i have a savage 10 in 7mm and it is awesome.

mounting scope is easy. just take your time and be patient. i would get the burris sinature rings with the inserts in them, like LRG52 said. they mount right on to your weaver base that came in the package deal.

it might take a time or two to get the cross hairs were you like them. it always take me at least 1 range secion to get things right.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.