Building new Hunting Rifle

Mossy49

Hows everyone doing in the lower 48??? I'm in the process of buying my parts for a custom built rifle, Here is the begining of the parts.I'm open to suggestions,so dont be scared to suggest certain parts for me.Ordered up a Stiller Predator action (LA), went with a H&S PRECISION thumbhole stock(father inlaw built a custom 22-250 with simliar stock and fell in love with it). Now the other items I'm planning to buy, leaning towards a KRIEGER or BROUGTON 5C barrel,go with a TIMNEY trigger or JEWELL trigger,go with HOLLAND brake. Also purchased the 20MOA mount from Stiller.Glass is on the list and decide its either a Nightforce,Leupold,or Huskema.Well thats the begining,I'm really stoked and looking forward to putting it all togrther with my father inlaw since he's the gunsmith. Oh.I narrowed down the caliber to 300 WM,300RUM,or maybe a 338RUM. Thanks for listening and will take suggestions like I stated.

Hows everyone doing in the lower 48??? I'm in the process of buying my parts for a custom built rifle, Here is the begining of the parts.I'm open to suggestions,so dont be scared to suggest certain parts for me.Ordered up a Stiller Predator action (LA), went with a H&S PRECISION thumbhole stock(father inlaw built a custom 22-250 with simliar stock and fell in love with it). Now the other items I'm planning to buy, leaning towards a KRIEGER or BROUGTON 5C barrel,go with a TIMNEY trigger or JEWELL trigger,go with HOLLAND brake. Also purchased the 20MOA mount from Stiller.Glass is on the list and decide its either a Nightforce,Leupold,or Huskema.Well thats the begining,I'm really stoked and looking forward to putting it all togrther with my father inlaw since he's the gunsmith. Oh.I narrowed down the caliber to 300 WM,300RUM,or maybe a 338RUM. Thanks for listening and will take suggestions like I stated.

If you buy a high end barrel either one should be fine for your build. The main question is what contour are you considering as well as the length.

Glass, it is tough to beat a Nightforce.

As for muzzle brake if you aren't set in stone on the Holland, I would look at the muscle brake by Jim See and others that are similar since when shooting prone they won't kick up as much dust.

Caliber: Do you reload? If so you could go with the 300 RUM and be able to load down to win mag levels and back up. Although I have always wanted a 338 cal rifle....

Thanks for the reply, now that you mention the Muscle brake i was looking at those on a site somewhere. I havent heard much on them. Nightforce glass is the way I'm going, just got to decide between the 5.5-22-56 or their 3.5-15-50 scope. I'm torn between the 3 calibers. I reload, its just the 300WM is gonna be cheaper to reload than the other two. The strange thing is up here in Alaska, theres no 338RUM ammo kinda scarce for some reasons.The other two are like weeds, and I've been hearing that the 300 RUM can burn up a barrel pretty quick. So now I'm leaning towards the 300WM, but now Sportmans carries ammo for 338rum made from Nosler. So i may go that route.

Sorry Webs, forgot to tell you the contour on the barrel. If it's the Krieger barrel 5 contour and if it's the Broughton 5C it will be the 4.1 contour. Leaning towards the Broughton 5C.. Probably 27 to 28 inches if a 300WM, and 28 to 30 inches for 300RUM or 338RUM...

Shooting ranges from 100 to 500 yards, gonna be hunting moose, brown bear, Dall sheep, and numerous other critters up here in Alaska.

Update on the build. Ordered the STILLER PREDATOR LA ( be here in Dec.)ordered the stock(received already), ordered the barrel BROUGHTON 5C in a #5 LT VARMINT SPORTER(be here in FEB, maybe sooner), gonna use a timney trigger, regular hinged bottom metal, then cerakote it.... Now just need to decide on glass, will be going to the SHOT in Vegas this Jan to checkout the glass products and everything else tha catches my eye .Cant wait for it to be done.gun)

Sounds like good progress. I am personally going with a Huskemaw scope on my 300 RUM. The reason i picked the RUM is the ability to load it both hot for long range big critters and load it down if my 13 yr old wants to shoot a deer with it. Did u decide on which brake u are going to run on it. I think i am going to have the muscle brake 4 port put on mine by a gunsmith here locally since i can take "gun stuff" into my work and i dont have access to another lathe. Good luck cant see it finished.

Where u located at in Alaska? I hunted almost 20 yrs ago out of eagle river ona moose and bear hunt.

Live up in Fairbanks, been here about 32 years. It's just really nice here and not very many people. To congested down in the lower 48. I'm going with a Holland brake, havent decided on the glass yet.Going to the SHOT SHOW in Vegas in January, so I'll checkout all glass products down there.Gotta go with the father inlaw or I wouldn't be going down there. He's the gunsmith,can't wait for other parts to start show up and start putting it all together.

I wouldn't go any longer than 26" on the barrel. If you go 28, after the muzz brake you will be over 30, that won't even fit in your igloo.:D. I went 24" with a brake on my 300 and am able to get the 210's to 2900.

thanks for the info, barrel is coming here at 28" and then installing a brake
. so should be around 26 to 27.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.