Questions for my new rifle?

hunterjmj

New to the site. I ordered a new Rem 700 Sps ss 300 wm, should be here Monday or Tuesday. I just got the b&c stock and tally rail in from red hawk, picked up a vortex hst 4-16, waiting for the rings from LRH. I've spent all my money for the time being but at least I'll be able to shoot it soon. I'd like to do a trigger and muzzle break now but that will probably have to wait a couple months or after I buy my wife a bunch of stuff.
So I've been reading tons about bedding. Seems some do the whole receiver and some just the recoil lug. Should I just shoot it for now or bed it now. If I bed it now should I do the whole thing or just the recoil lug.

I own 6 rifles with Bell and Carlson medalist stocks and I would definitely bed the lug recess at a minimum. A fellow member once said B&C stocks fit like a sack in a sow until you bed them.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

I own 6 rifles with Bell and Carlson medalist stocks and I would definitely bed the lug recess at a minimum. A fellow member once said B&C stocks fit like a sack in a sow until you bed them.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

Just got my rifle today so I swapped stocks. The bell and Carlson fits like a glove. From what I've read I suppose I will bed the lug area.
Is there a consensus about the two nodes for the barrel in the stock? Should I leave these alone for now and see how it shoots?

Personally I remove the pressure points that B&C builds into their stocks. A little sand paper wrapped around a dowel should do the trick. When I bed a rifle, I bed the recoil lug area to about an inch in front of the recoil lug and the tang area to the rear of the action. This has worked well for me. But, I also always shoot a rifle before I start working on it. This will give me a good idea how much improvement I am getting from, bedding, triggers, etc. Good luck with your project and welcome to LRH!

Just got my rifle today so I swapped stocks. The bell and Carlson fits like a glove. From what I've read I suppose I will bed the lug area.
Is there a consensus about the two nodes for the barrel in the stock? Should I leave these alone for now and see how it shoots?

How big is the muzzle on the sps if it is smaller than .520 I would leave the contact points until I shot the rifle. You can take them out and put them back later for experimentation.

Bob

I'm definitely going to bed it but I'll be shooting it for a few weeks before I get the supplies. Thanks for all the info.

hello friend,why not do a before and after? shooting 5 shot groups to see if what you are doing even helps.i am interested because I too have a Remington lr 7mm on its way,but its cold and nasty in ky,so im in no hurry and still thinking on a few things.keep us posted. thanks

hello friend,why not do a before and after? shooting 5 shot groups to see if what you are doing even helps.i am interested because I too have a Remington lr 7mm on its way,but its cold and nasty in ky,so im in no hurry and still thinking on a few things.keep us posted. thanks

I'll keep you posted on how it shoots with and without bedding. Just got the rings in the mail today so I'll get the scope nestled on in the morning and take it out for a test drive. Scope is on but haven't leveled or torqued anything yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 16
hello friend,why not do a before and after? shooting 5 shot groups to see if what you are doing even helps.

+1! ... and while you're at it, share the upgrade cost. I have a guy in my squadron that was given similar (if not the same) advice from one of his co-workers for the upcoming hunting season. He's planning the purchase after the tax season. :D

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.