New Hornady 6.5 PRC

I guess Hornady are seizing on the success of the 6.5mm SAUM GAP 4s by using their own case design and not having to pay royalties to GAP or use Remingtons SAUM design. Would have been nice if the 6.5mm SAUM designs had become standardised as factory rounds. Oh well I'll just have to keep shooting the 300 or so Headstamped Norma 300 SAUM formed 6.5mm SAUM cases that I have.
The Saum still beats the prc except brass for the prc is 88$ for 100 while the saum is 155 for 100

I'm pretty sure these have a .145 throat which will allow seating of most bullets to the lands and still work in short action magazines. There is a .095ish reamer you can special order for bullets with impossibly long noses

My question is, why continue to build cartridges for a short action that are NOT designed for one?? I think the mentality is that the people who just buy factory rifles and shoot Hornady ammo are perfectly content, and I guess they are correct in that sense.....Rich

Rich,

Fair enough to build on a short action, BUT it needs a longer magazine box and for God sakes none of this short magazine box long throat nonsense that Remington did with the .257 Roberts when they chambered that cartridge in the Model 700 Short Action Mountain Rifle.

On my 6.5mm SAUM which is built on a Remington 700 Short Action, I am running a Wyatts box. According to my vernier, the internal length of my Wyatts magazine is 3.099 inches where a standard Remington mag I miked measured at 2.850. I am running the 140gr Berger Huntin VLD and my rifle likes a 0.70 thou jump to the lands. This puts the base of the Berger projectile a fraction above the line of the shoulder - the beginning of the boattail is actually lined up with the bottom of the neck. I'm running 63grs Retumbo with no compression and getting 3075fps from my 24 inch barrel.

Trying to achieve this with a standard Remington mag box would have meant the bullet being seated further into the case that I wanted to avoid totally.

Rich,

Fair enough to build on a short action, BUT it needs a longer magazine box and for God sakes none of this short magazine box long throat nonsense that Remington did with the .257 Roberts when they chambered that cartridge in the Model 700 Short Action Mountain Rifle.

On my 6.5mm SAUM which is built on a Remington 700 Short Action, I am running a Wyatts box. According to my vernier, the internal length of my Wyatts magazine is 3.099 inches where a standard Remington mag I miked measured at 2.850. I am running the 140gr Berger Huntin VLD and my rifle likes a 0.70 thou jump to the lands. This puts the base of the Berger projectile a fraction above the line of the shoulder - the beginning of the boattail is actually lined up with the bottom of the neck. I'm running 63grs Retumbo with no compression and getting 3075fps from my 24 inch barrel.

Trying to achieve this with a standard Remington mag box would have meant the bullet being seated further into the case that I wanted to avoid totally.

Yes, you absolutely need a longer box in a saum AND a PRC. I just have a 2.990" A.I.C.S. in my 6.5 SS. I run the 150 Matrix at 2.850" and can reach 3200' if I push it. My hunting load is at 3135' with 61 1/2 grs. of H1000.........Rich

Are we talking headstamped 6.5 SS brass in the works as your little "stay tuned for a new competitor" teaser Rich?:D

I wish that was the case but it will take some serious backing if that happens in the near future! The amount of $$ outlay is tremendous if you want good brass and I don't want a situation like GAP had with the Hornady brass......Rich

Hmmm 6.5 SAUM 4S, 6.5 PRC, 260 Nosler, something else to be released in near future??? Tough decision so keeping an eye on this thread for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.