New Hornady 6.5 PRC

OK, that is what I was missing! So they created a saum length RCM with the shoulder .015" forward which makes the bullet intrude into the case .015" farther than the GAP. That is with the same length throat......Rich

If they are the same length, the bullet would be the same distance inside the case in both of them. The case starts at the front of the neck.

If they are the same length, the bullet would be the same distance inside the case in both of them. The case starts at the front of the neck.

But the neck would be .015" shorter by moving the shoulder forward .015" and the throat measurement starts at the case mouth so the throat would need to be .015" longer to make the bullet the same distance into the case......Rich

But the neck would be .015" shorter by moving the shoulder forward .015" and the throat measurement starts at the case mouth so the throat would need to be .015" longer to make it the same distance into the case......Rich

Moving the shoulder forward .015" would make the neck .015" shorter.

If the bullet is inserted the same distance into the case, its relationship with the throat doesn't chance.

Moving the shoulder forward .015" would make the neck .015" shorter.

If the bullet is inserted the same distance into the case, its relationship with the throat doesn't chance.
Sometimes my old brain gets cross wired but I think if you draw it out, you will find leaving EVERYTHING else the same dimension, including the length of the throat, the bullet HAS to be farther into the case because the lands will prevent it from moving the .015" forward. In other words, the distance from the case head to the lands remains constant so if you move the shoulder forward .015", the bullet is .015" more into the case body past where the new neck/shoulder junction is. Does that make sense?.....Rich

Get some RL26 and you will be fine.....Rich
RL 26 fills a .308 size case pretty fast. Using 130's and 140gr bullets in my .260's with a COAL of 2.88" every load was compressed at least to some degree and I started well below what I could find listed as "maximums".

That being said there is so little load data for RL26 it's pretty well a venture into the unknown.

I actually had less volume with RL19 and 23 but not a whole lot.

As for this new Round I can't really figure out what they were trying to accomplish with it. For best performance it needs to be chambered in long rather than short actions especially to accomodate the heavy for caliber bullets.

They'd have been better off just necking down a .375 Ruger to compete with the 26 Nosler.

I'm afraid this one may be a flop for them which is too bad. I've always been one of their most loyal customers but they are doing a lot of things lately that just don't make sense and seem to be taking them in a dangerous direction.

As for this new Round I can't really figure out what they were trying to accomplish with it. For best performance it needs to be chambered in long rather than short actions especially to accomodate the heavy for caliber bullets.

They'd have been better off just necking down a .375 Ruger to compete with the 26 Nosler.

I'm afraid this one may be a flop for them which is too bad. I've always been one of their most loyal customers but they are doing a lot of things lately that just don't make sense and seem to be taking them in a dangerous direction.

I have thought about this quite a bit and the only thing I can come up with is that they were trying to hit a specific velocity for PRS, but even that is questionable?? They probably wanted to stay with a case they had and Hornady won't build anything but a 30 degree shoulder so thats where they ended up? DANGED IF I KNOW:D

At least from what George Gardner has posted on the subject. The 6.5 PRC was designed more for top loading rifles rather than the Detachable Mag setups.

Well I am lost!:D Maybe we should wait and see how it performs.

Yeah, its basically what George had said his ideal case would've been (IF I remember correctly) when he created the Saum 4s. Hes been using 300 RCM brass with the shoulder pushed back to give it a little longer neck. There's a couple good posts about it over on the GAP 6.5 Saum 4S Facebook group.

Has anyone heard anything further on this round? I am curious when brass and dies will be available. My local shop has a kimber montana 300 wsm sharply marked down and this might be a good option to rebarrel that gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.