New Hornady 6.5 PRC

It would seem this forum offers a good group of Beta Testers to present unbiased opinions and data to put together a proposal to someone looking to get into this market. You have the 6.5, 7, 300 all performing well.

I think the largest drawback which could be its largest advantage it that that the SS line is based on the SAUM case. The large resistance to adopting these type of cartridges like the WSM and SAUM is the royalties to chamber a rifle or make the ammunition. Likely why Hornady was never going to go with the SAUM based varieties. This means a proposal to Remington might be a possibility to revive their SAUM line.

Otherwise a presentation to a younger or more open company of the concept with perhaps an alternative parent case would likely catch an ear with the great numbers and accuracy seen on this forum with these cartridges. Prime went outside the country to RUAG. Perhaps if a major ammunition company in the states isn't bold enough to set the new standard, maybe a small boutique company like Copper Creek or a company from over seas? I would love to see this take off as it makes all the sense in the world compared to the traditional mis-match of cartridges and action lengths.

Aren't the Saum cartridges just shortened versions of standard length magnums?

I just went to the shop and measured the capacity of a new 7 SAUM case vs a fire formed 7SS case. The SAUM would gain a few tenths when fire formed. Here are the results. When you put the bullet back into the case where the SAUM would be, the SS probably has a 1 to 2 grains more USEABLE capacity AND it fits in a short action!......Rich
View attachment 69952

I'd like to see a savage prefit for the 7mm ss......:D

We are considering that.......Rich

It would be a great way to get them on the market. BOTW builds way less rifles than us Savage and Remage nuts do. I have never been a SA kinda guy, always ran the BIGGEST case I could find as most of my shots are very long and I don't walk much. The 7SAUM I just built has opened my eyes to the efficiency possible with these shorter rigs. My SAUM is still in a LA but with the SS available I might build some SA's.

George Gardner, owner of GA Precision, has a thread going on the 6.5 GAP 4s Facebook page that I have been following. So far there isn't much information. He did list the case capacity at 69.3 grains compared to the 73 grains of the SAUM/GAP 4s. Hornady is not saying anything about it other than leading people to GA Precision for questions and answers. Looks like it needs to be run in a longer short action mag box such as a Savage or Wyatt's extended box. Low pressure loads, like H1000 in the GAP 4s, is 50fps slower than the GAP but can match or exceed it with a faster powder and George has gotten 3100fps with 140s.

Below are some pictures that George Gardner posted on Facebook. The 6.5 PRC is on the left next to the 6.5 SAUM/GAP 4s.

Attachments

• IMG_2220.JPG
    IMG_2220.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,063
  • IMG_2219.JPG
    IMG_2219.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,055
George Gardner, owner of GA Precision, has a thread going on the 6.5 GAP 4s Facebook page that I have been following. So far there isn't much information. He did list the case capacity at 69.3 grains compared to the 73 grains of the SAUM/GAP 4s. Hornady is not saying anything about it other than leading people to GA Precision for questions and answers. Looks like it needs to be run in a longer short action mag box such as a Savage or Wyatt's extended box. Low pressure loads, like H1000 in the GAP 4s, is 50fps slower than the GAP but can match or exceed it with a faster powder and George has gotten 3100fps with 140s.

Below are some pictures that George Gardner posted on Facebook. The 6.5 PRC is on the left next to the 6.5 SAUM/GAP 4s.

Interesting! So are you saying the shoulder is pushed back a little? It actually looks like the one on the right has the shoulder back........Rich

Interesting! So are you saying the shoulder is pushed back a little? It actually looks like the one on the right has the shoulder back........Rich

The 6.5 PRC is an RCM case that they shortened .072 and pushed the shoulder forward like .015 so it can't be chambered in a 6.5 SAUM/GAP 4s rifle. They shortened it some so it will fit better in most short actions such as Savage and I guess the Ruger Precision (?), I don't know anything about Rugers so just going off what others said on there. George said if they made it the same length as the Creedmoor then the PRC would be identical to the 6.5-284 in capacity and performance and would not be a big enough improvement. He said it will work in an unmodified 700 SA but you would have to get a custom reamer made with a short throat and seat the bullets deep in the case. I believe he said max SAAMI overall length will be like 2.935" and will run in a Remington with an extended mag box.

I asked him why Hornady is directing people towards him and GA Precision and he is not sure. He said the 6.5 PRC is/was planned to be a production cartridge just like the 6.5 Creemoor. His thought is that there was some misinterpretation during communications with Hornady. George said his best guess is Hornady is pushing people towards him because he helped develop it and he is currently the only shop that will have the first batch of brass, dies, and reamers. He does no plan or intend to be the soul provider of the components and rifles chambered in the PRC.

Again, this is just my summary of all the information I gathered on the Facebook post. Don't take my interpretation as word of mouth, I am just trying to relay as much factual info as I can and put it all together. George Gardner, of GA Precision, said on his post he is open to any questions and will try and answer anything he can or is able too. Myself, and most of the people responding on the Facebook post and on here, are waiting for an official release from Hornady, no one knows when that will be.

This is the link to Hornady's only information on the 6.5 PRC and what I was talking about when I asked George why Hornady is sending people his way. http://www.hornady.com/support/faqs/65-PRC

I am a little confused? They shortened it .072", but pushed the shoulder FORWARD .015" ??

I'm guessing he means they made the case length the same as the 4s but the length from the base to the shoulder is .015" longer.

I'm guessing he means they made the case length the same as the 4s but the length from the base to the shoulder is .015" longer.

That's what it sounds like but it would not make sense because that would cause an even worse problem! The GAP is just a necked down SAUM; is it not? Moving the shoulder forward would mean an even shorter coal to fit in a mag box which would further push the bullet into the case??

I just went back and looked at the pics of the 4s vs prc and it DOES look like they moved the shoulder .015" forward of the GAP but I still don't get the .072" shorter??. They look like the same length.......Rich

I just went back and looked at the pics of the 4s vs prc and it DOES look like they moved the shoulder .015" forward of the GAP but I still don't get the .072" shorter??. They look like the same length.......Rich

A 300 RCM case is about .075" longer than a 7mm SAUM.

A 300 RCM case is about .075" longer than a 7mm SAUM.

OK, that is what I was missing! So they created a saum length RCM with the shoulder .015" forward which makes the bullet intrude into the case .015" farther than the GAP. That is with the same length throat. So the end result is, compounding the saum problem by .015"??

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts