New Hammer Monolithic Bullets

DAbersold

I just finished doing some expansion testing on the new Hammer Monolithic Bullets from HD Custom Rifles and Ammunitions. From what I have seen so far, they are awesome. My main reason for trying the bullets is because I live in the state of California which many know is in the process of requiring non-lead bullets for hunting. Being a handgun hunter (as well as rifle) I needed to find a bullet that would reliably expand at the lower velocity of a short barrel. The cartridge is the 7mm TCU which I can push to about 2250 fps. with a 120 gr. bullet. At 200 yds., the velocity drops to about 1600 fps which is lower than many monolithic bullets will expand.
The test media I used might be a bit redneck, but did the job of showing expansion. I used two water jugs in front of a newspaper filled box used as a bullet trap. Boy did they expand. Judging from the devastating destruction of the jugs the bullet expanded and shed its peddles in the first jug, then demolished the second, before being stopped in the box. The muzzle velocity was 2170 fps (the bullet weighs 131 gr.)so the impact velocity was about 1900 fps at impact. That means that if you long range guys started at a velocity of 3300 fps with this bullet you could expect this type expansion at a distance of 600-700 yds. I also tested a 181 gr. .308 cal bullet with the same set up out of a 30-06 at 2795 fps. so the impact velocity was about 2600 fps at impact. The results on the jugs was obvious, total destruction, but the shank of the bullet stayed in tact and penetrated straight deep into the trap.
I have found the bullet I will use this year on deer and antelope with my 7mm TCU. If you are looking for a sleek long range bullet you should look into these. Steve is a great guy to talk with and make a top shelf product. He is a member here under RockyMtnMT or check out his web page at hammerbullets.com

Attachments

• IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 194
While you're looking I would strongly encourage you to give the Peregrine VRG 4's a try.

THey make them in 150g and less in 7mm. It's a solid copper bullet with a brass tip and plunger and the expansion on them is extremely consistent . They tend to penetrate and then track straight through until they run out of energy.

I'm really excited with my limited use of them while in Africa and was really excited to see that they are now importing them to the US.

If you go to their site, look at the "Plains Master" series of bullets.

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Steve sent several boxes of various cals. 277, 338 and 375.

Am doing a full scale wring out of these.

So far I've accuracy and expansion tested the 117 grain offering in 277 in a 270 Win.

Great success on both on both counts. More details forth coming. 270 WSM being built to wring out the 156 offerings.

Leupold returned the scope for my big girl. Can hardly wait to mess with those 395 grain 375 cal beauties.

While you're looking I would strongly encourage you to give the Peregrine VRG 4's a try.

THey make them in 150g and less in 7mm. It's a solid copper bullet with a brass tip and plunger and the expansion on them is extremely consistent . They tend to penetrate and then track straight through until they run out of energy.

I'm really excited with my limited use of them while in Africa and was really excited to see that they are now importing them to the US.

Hammer Bullets are made in the USA, by USA citizens. We use equipment that is made in the USA, by USA citizens. We get our materials in the USA, from USA citizens. We are very careful to do our business this way and will always do it this way.

Thank you,

Steve

So far I've accuracy and expansion tested the 117 grain offering in 277 in a 270 Win.

Great success on both on both counts. More details forth coming. 270 WSM being built to wring out the 156 offerings.

Leupold returned the scope for my big girl. Can hardly wait to mess with those 395 grain 375 cal beauties.

Looking forward to that!

Looks like a tipped GS Custom. Probably be an awesome bullet no matter what country it's made in :rolleyes::D

Hammer Bullets are made in the USA, by USA citizens. We use equipment that is made in the USA, by USA citizens. We get our materials in the USA, from USA citizens. We are very careful to do our business this way and will always do it this way.

Thank you,

Steve
And I'll wish you all the success in the world.

I'll still recommend to anyone that they try anything that has performed well for me.

Without a doubt if your product works as well or better for people you will enjoy immense success.

Roy, what are you shooting those 395's in caliber wise?

As much as I like Hornady in general I was really disappointed in the performance of the DGX in my .375R. One way or another I have to find a bullet that will both give me good accuracy, track true, and not break up before I go back to Africa.

I've been invited on cull hunts for both Elephant and Hippo where there's simply no margin for error or bullet failure.

And I'll wish you all the success in the world.

I'll still recommend to anyone that they try anything that has performed well for me.

Without a doubt if your product works as well or better for people you will enjoy immense success.

With that I recommend that you give our bullets a try. What would you want to take for your cull hunt in Africa? You say the GS bullets did not work well for you. What was not satisfactory? Obviously our bullets are similar, we are using a different design and a different material. What do I need to do for you so you will climb on our wagon?

Steve

With that I recommend that you give our bullets a try. What would you want to take for your cull hunt in Africa? You say the GS bullets did not work well for you. What was not satisfactory? Obviously our bullets are similar, we are using a different design and a different material. What do I need to do for you so you will climb on our wagon?

Steve
They just didn't group well for me at all.

A polite response like this one is always the best way to get me interested in someone's products so I may very well give them a try.

I'm going to start loading again when I get recovered from my upcoming neck and back surgeries so I just might give you a call.

Unless something changes I'll be taking the 375 Ruger again for the DG and either one of my 7mm STW's or 300Rum's for the rest. I like to mix things up.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.