New Guys Needs Advice on Rifle Build

The coyotes have bread with wolves at some point in our history - they travel in packs, communicate, and grow in excess of 100 pounds, in some cases I believe 120lbs has been reported.....they also don't particularly care if they make a meal of a deer or a man...though local media/government downplay that last part. (usually blaming it on one of a dozen excuses why the attack happened, but will never happen again...BS I say)

So are you in alaska? How do your minimums and maximums in caliber relate to game animals and government regulations? Not trying to offend you just trying to get as much data as possable to perhaps make a suggestion.

For the mins, maxs, its pretty simple...basically you are limited to .243 caliber or smaller for anything that isn't "big game" ... you can hunt big game with anything .243 or bigger BUT I choose not to, because .243 is far too small in my estimation, to reliably take big game at long range.
I believe the reasoning behind the max caliber restriction is to prevent poaching > If you are caught with a larger caliber without a big game licence then you are automatically guilty.
Big game has No max caliber....there may be a minimum or it may be legal with any centerfire cartridge, I am not sure...I haven't bothered to ask because I prefer Big calibers and know I will never be in danger of getting caught using one that is too small.

Then there are those that will take information and expand upon it to accomidate there needs.

My previous post though not exactly as requested might have been used to say,
Dang, this guy did these so instead of a 6.5 WSM I could actually make a 223 WSSM. My mid range could be 7 WSM or Rum. My biggy could be a 338 Edge or a 338 X 378 Weatherby or in my case a 460 Weatherby X 510 which I do have. However being an honest sort I do not have a switch barrel in the larger calibers. Yes I can make a magazine fit for the Edge.

Now the nice thing about my Strikers is I can take any one of them and switch the bolthead in minutes from 223 Remington to 460 Weatherby. Now again I have but one repeater and the repeater is the one I commented for the WSM cases and the Edge. It has not been set up to handle in repeater fashion which is actually on something other than my switch barrel.

In reading your posts, in appearance it looks as if you sat down and thought about this and are creating a hypothetical scenario. Now it has become a debate and has become useless rhetoric.

Wishing you the very best and hope you find what it is you are looking for.

you may want to look at doing a 6mm SAUM with a 8 twist and shoot the 115 DTAC and ether a 7mm SAUM or a 7mm RUM with a 8 or 9 twist then a 338 RUM you would be able to get these cartridges to feed easier than a WSM and Rum.

Last edited:
If you have a smith run the reamer deep you will have a cartridge design which holds the same amount of powder as a 300 Win Mag. My barrels with the long chambers are named 6.5 Stretch, 338 Stretch etc!

I use the same dies for the WSM's just screw them out .050 to compensate for the longer chamber.

Neal

This sounds like an interesting idea for making a moderately hot 30cal without going full blown 300rum. Would you mind telling me a little more about these "stretch" cartridges?

If I read you correctly, you are lengthening standard WSMs slightly and increasing their case capacity...how much are you lengthening and how much more case capacity are you getting? And do you fireform from regular WSM brass?

I'm thinking that perhaps such a 30cal wildcat would produce enough down range punch to satisfy me, and still allow me to use a shorter/lighter action, compared to a RUM.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.