New 6.5 Build advice needed

ramrod79

Good day All So I currently shoot a custom 6.5 284 Norma built off SS Rem long action, GS stock , #4 Benchmark 26" pipe this yields 2966FT/Sec with 140 Berger ,and while its a great out fit I like to shoot a lot as well as hunt with the same gun BUT need something capable of 1000-1200 steel ,and game out to 1000 minus elk I like them a little closer like 5-600Y
I could just keep this build another but I already have a sheep rifle so no need for me to have something that will just sit .

So guys this is where I was hoping to get some good advice from everyone .
Should I just re-barrel with a proof research keep shooting the 6.5 284 witch we all know is not the easiest on barrels or should I look at the 260 AI or 6.5x55 AI. I have had AI rifles before ,and fire forming is not an issue for me, and both of these run right along side the 6.5 284 for velocity ,and both have good brass as well. But how much barrel life will I gain to justify fire forming??

The last thing I have been throwing around is selling 6.5 284 ,and going to a Stiller SA #4 Benchmark 26" GS stock but in a 6.5 CM shoot 140 Bergers as when I run the numbers in a 26" tube its only 150 behind 6.5 284 but in a SA ,and with way better barrel life or so I hope ?

Guys any input if you were in my shoes? Honestly I just have the bug to tinker, and the current outfit only has 300 Rounds on it, I keep it clean ,and don't do big strings so not to overheat barrel so I should be good for another 900 but what is the fun in that .

Thanks all

Well, we always think of the max potential that a certain cartridge can give you instead of thinking about the reality of what a certain cartridge can give you. If you choose the creedmoor, it may give you 2820-2850 FPS with a 140 gr bullet but would it be accurate? Reality is that you may have your accuracy at 2700-2780 fps. You might run that scenario in your ballistic calculator and see where it puts you. The creedmoor will have much better life than a 6.5x284 but it will be lacking the extra fps that the 6.5x284 gives you.

You might look into the 6.5-06 or the 6.5 swede. If you are not shying away from wildcats, the 6.5 Sherman or the 6.5 SS. You can look at the last two that I listed on this website. Rick Sherman came up with these and they seem really good. So good in fact that I am having a 6.5 Sherman built as we speak. 140 gr bullet at almost 3200 fps with just as good or better life as the 6.5x284. Mr. Sherman says that they get better barrel life out of these wildcats than the 6.5x284 because of the shoulder and neck length. I can't wait to test that theory on my own as I am sure he is right!

You are absolutely right with your statement lots of other factors to consider just cannot go with max loading all the time , I have looked at the Sherman designs they look like a solid cartridge just not sure how to get reamer from him is all, and I was hoping to stay away from the bigger cartridges although shooting a 160GR pill out of a 6.5 would be pretty awesome .

Send him a private message. He is a super nice guy and will answer every question that you can think of. I will be shooting the 143 gr eldx out of mine when it is built. So you don't have to shoot the large pulls out of it. You get it all set up and he will send the reamer to your gunsmith.

You could build a practice rifle. That's the route I went. Built a 6.5X47 from Rbros and I love it.

I will second the Sherman line of wildcats. I have owned a 6.5 Sherman in the past and now own a 7mm Sherman Short.
Rich is one of the most friendly people you will have the pleasure to meet. (orchestrated some pretty serious xmas presents for members here) If you're unable to reach him with a PM, I'll send you his number. He will send your smith his reamer, and if needed, walk them through what's needed on throating, etc.
Check his different threads out that explain his rounds!

That round sure looks sexy 160 GR Matrix at 3000 very good for elk! I wonder about just doing a rechamber job to this caliber or if I would loose to much barrel length when smith sets back .

That round sure looks sexy 160 GR Matrix at 3000 very good for elk! I wonder about just doing a rechamber job to this caliber or if I would loose to much barrel length when smith sets back .

You would lose a fair amount of length, and maybe would not have enough shank to even do it. The reason is because the 6.5/284 has a .500 case diameter and the Sherman is only .470". Just doing some quick math, it looks like it would need to be set back at least 1.6".......Rich

Thanks Rich that settles that I have a Carbon barrel coming 1-8 twist So if I want to chamber this round I can get reamer from you ,and you have dies for sale for this round ? Is the forming process as easy as it reads?

Thanks Rich that settles that I have a Carbon barrel coming 1-8 twist So if I want to chamber this round I can get reamer from you ,and you have dies for sale for this round ? Is the forming process as easy as it reads?

For my forming, I used Norma 280 brass, necked to 6.5mm. I chambered 140gr Nosler BTs with a light charge of MagPro and brass was fire formed perfectly. Even the FF loads in my rifle were super accurate!

Another interesting round is the 6.5 SAUM that GA Precision builds in their Extreme Hunter. Barrel life over 2,500 rounds with a 140 at 3,000-3,100 fps.

Another interesting round is the 6.5 SAUM that GA Precision builds in their Extreme Hunter. Barrel life over 2,500 rounds with a 140 at 3,000-3,100 fps.
That's some pretty good barrel life! What are the major differences between the the 6.5 SAUM and 6.5 SS? Does the SAUM run well in a short action or need a long action to take advantage of bigger bullets?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.