New guy from Florida

I'm thinking about selling my brand new 6.5-300 and buying a 270. Can't really go wrong with a 270 in any state.
My first deer rifle that was actually mine was a 270. After I got my first deer with a borrowed Remington pump action 30-06 when I was 13 or 14 or so my parents put some money together and agreed to buy me my own rifle. They didn't have much, and the savage 111 package gun was the obvious choice. I was gonna get a .30-06 but all the .30-06 chambered package guns were sold out at Cabelas…this before online ordering was a thing….I didn't want to leave with no gun, and the wise old man behind the counter said "but son we do have a few left in .270".

I didn't know anything about the .270 at the time and asked if I could use it for the same things one could use a .30-06 for. I still remember the knowing starry eyed look he had as he said…"ooooooh yeah…"

He was right. No regrets. I have killed more game with that humble first rifle than anything else, though I don't use it much anymore. I got drawn for moose, mule deer, antlerless mule deer, and plan to get a whitetail tag. Perhaps I'll have to dust the old girl off and let her have some fun in November for at least one of those haha.

Welcome from South Alabama you will love this band of brothers here on this forum and like all brothers we will even argue on somethings now and then thats what makes it all the better at the end we all come back together.⚔️

Welcome from South Mississippi.
Have you got a scope mounted on your rifle yet? Lots of choices. I love Leupold b/c of quality and US made.
Have you been able to get ammo for the 6.5-300 WB?
Why did you pick that caliber?

Hello everyone,New rifle owner. Have been hunting for many years but with shotgun for deer hunting because that's what my state allowed. This will be my first season using a rifle for whitetail deer. I picked up a weatherby 6.5-300. First time hunting in Florida as well. Enjoy reading all the information that is available on here.
Hello from the suwannee river country of Florida. You will like it here!! Enjoy

Last edited:
Welcome from South Mississippi.
Have you got a scope mounted on your rifle yet? Lots of choices. I love Leupold b/c of quality and US made.
Have you been able to get ammo for the 6.5-300 WB?
Why did you pick that caliber?
During hunting season I couldn't find any. But now I can find it everywhere. No scope on mine, it's still in box until I finish other projects first.

Hello everyone,New rifle owner. Have been hunting for many years but with shotgun for deer hunting because that's what my state allowed. This will be my first season using a rifle for whitetail deer. I picked up a weatherby 6.5-300. First time hunting in Florida as well. Enjoy reading all the information that is available on here.
Welcome!!! My good friend just picked up the same rifle caliber as you! Good Luck!

Welcome!!! My good friend just picked up the same rifle caliber as you! Good Luck to you hunting w your new rifle!

Welcome!

Welcome from MI, still have the Axes deer by Ft. Pierce ?

Recent Posts