New guy from Florida

Welcome from Northwest Alabama! I would say that the 6.5 part would be excellent choice for Florida deer. I would probably save the 300 part for bigger occasions. 😃 Happy hunting!
Yeah, these Fl deer are half the size of the deer up the east coast. A .300 on Fl deer, you'd only have hooves & horns left after the bullet damage. A 30/30 or .35 Rem are great deer calibers for these smaller body deer, even a .223 or .243 or .257, all good deer calibers for down here.

Welcome from TX… you can hunt deer with a scattergun? I thought those were for birds, rattlesnakes and intruders… learn something new everyday day😄
I would have no interest in using a shotgun as I can use a rifle BUT…this is a beast of a shell. 3.5" Winchester super x. 18 pellets of 00 buck. 1200 fps I beleive. Inside of archery distance haha there's really nothing on this continent that couldn't be efficiently killed with this…especially with how dang fast pumps and semis are to get more shots off.

I find this more interesting than slugs. Slugs are a shotgun trying to be a rifle and really, really sucking at it!

Attachments

• 9A428EFD-518E-4B54-8CB0-E64FA28FBE79.jpeg
    9A428EFD-518E-4B54-8CB0-E64FA28FBE79.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Hello everyone,New rifle owner. Have been hunting for many years but with shotgun for deer hunting because that's what my state allowed. This will be my first season using a rifle for whitetail deer. I picked up a weatherby 6.5-300. First time hunting in Florida as well. Enjoy reading all the information that is available on here.
Vision, hello and welcome from S. Florida...east coast. I'm a Florida transplant from up north. Moved here as soon as I retired from my military career. The deer are small but I still like my 30-06 most of the time. I used my 300 RUM once, to make sure it worked well. Generally I use neck shots to minimize meat loss since they are quite tasty here too! Usually don't find shots over 400 yards but it depends on the area. Gators are fun but I don't use a rifle fir them...I averaged about 75 gators per year for the 6 years I was a Nuisance Alligator Trapper. Hogs are plentiful and I like ear shots or heart shots there! Good luck...and don't forget to practice until you're really comfortable with your new rifle.