New form of competitive shooting?

Kyle87

Hey guys I have been shooting rifle seriously for a few years and am getting to love it more and more everyday. I see and read everyday about the growing popularity of the precision rifle series. Me being hunting oriented the urge to try out this form of shooting is there but the caliber of guns people in my area shoot see to be larger magnum calibers. Do you guys think there would be any interest in a hunting oriented type shooting series. Maybe 15-20 scenarios with 2 man teams (shooter and spotter switch each station) 2-3 minutes to collect data and make the shot at animal size targets. Let me know what you guys think

I have been thinking the same thing and instead of just getting hits add scoring rings in vital areas a lot like the bow targets use. And maybe standing to shoot close targets around 100 yards, kneeling or sitting to 300 to 400 yards prone on out at long range and maybe throw in a running target and a pop up or two some time limitations to get the heart rate up and a no shoot doe or cow limiting the line of sight I'm in

Exactly... All hunting scenarios wrapped up in an event. Have a few where you can't shoot prone. Also I was thinking limit it to 1000 yards and .30 cal so no big .338s to make it more practical.

I think you could attract a lot of shooters to that kind of shoot as everyone has a hunting rifle but not everyone has a rifle they want to go out and shoot a 100 rounds per weekend. And personally I'm not in to the tacticool crowd and am too old to run around and try to shoot standing on my head. But a good uphill hike to get the heart rate up and take a quick shot sounds fun

Sounds cool, maybe use scenarios since it will be hunting situations where the vitals are partially exposed adding difficulty to the shot

All the comments so far are great. The low round count was in my head from the start. 20 stages 25 rounds or something along those lines not like a prs match where you may run 100-150 round threw your gun at a match. There could be .338 specific matches but if you keep it to .30 cal it would be practical for everyone. You wouldn't "need" a 4-5k setup to shoot a match of course it would help but wouldn't be needed. I was also thinking last night about the targets and each stage could have a game shaped target with a swinging vitals shot and a few stages could have options for a 600 yards or so shot or 1000yards shot that where point based if a team needed to make up ground on the score board.

Maybe bring terminal ballistics (downrange energy) into the mix of scoring. Something with ballistic gell? Or a row of water jugs behind bullseyes.
If its a hunting scenario I think some advantages should go to 30 cal rather than a tiny super precise 6mm BR. Especially at longer distance!

Huh never thought of that. It would help weed out the smaller caliber guys like you said and keep the calibers more hunting oriented. Great idea!

Don't get me wrong now, I really like the idea even though it will never happen here in Alaska for me. But you have to remember the more caliber specific you make it the less people would participate. Everybody's hunting is not the same. Take me for example, where I live and hunt the animals are a lot bigger/meaner and like to fight back sometimes so I have 338 RUM. Could it be done with a 30 caliber? Sure but there are more bigger calibers here then smaller. Now take someone from the South, they don't even need a 30 caliber and a lot shoot way smaller calibers hunting and do very well. I hunted with a 6mm down south.

I don't think it should be caliber specific and sense your talking about using a point system its all going to come down to bullet control/placement and that will all depend on the shooter not caliber. Now, I could see more of putting a weight limit on the rifle being used to weed out the fully comp/target rifles trying to be used in a Hunting Competition. Just my thoughts and 2 cents which means nothing anyway. I do hope you can get something going though.

Don't get me wrong now, I really like the idea even though it will never happen here in Alaska for me. But you have to remember the more caliber specific you make it the less people would participate. Everybody's hunting is not the same. Take me for example, where I live and hunt the animals are a lot bigger/meaner and like to fight back sometimes so I have 338 RUM. Could it be done with a 30 caliber? Sure but there are more bigger calibers here then smaller. Now take someone from the South, they don't even need a 30 caliber and a lot shoot way smaller calibers hunting and do very well. I hunted with a 6mm down south.

I don't think it should be caliber specific and sense your talking about using a point system its all going to come down to bullet control/placement and that will all depend on the shooter not caliber. Now, I could see more of putting a weight limit on the rifle being used to weed out the fully comp/target rifles trying to be used in a Hunting Competition. Just my thoughts and 2 cents which means nothing anyway. I do hope you can get something going though.
I agree.
Guys could compete with any cartridge they have, but have the terminal energy weigh in on scoring. ( if the impact doesn't give say 1000 ft/lb on the impact target it would affect score.)

Ok don't get me wrong I'm not bashing on the .338s my reasoning behind in was availibilty of factory .338 for beginning shooters and longevity of steel used at closer ranges. I know there are a few .338 lapua factory options out there but a lot of them are real high end customs. The 1000ft/lbs at 1000yards is a good rule of thumb I ran my 7mm rem mag with a 162 Amax at 2995 and it is at 1083ft/lbs so a guy couldn't go a lot smaller than that or if you guy think it should be gauged at a shorter distance than that?

These are all great ideas. I think this could really take off. I have tried getting a couple local guys interested in PRS. I would like to get involved but there are no local matches and it would be nice to have someone to share travel costs etc with. But it seems to me while they are interested in the actual disciplines involved in PRS they are intimidated about being labeled a "sniper wanna be" or something of the sort. I think if it were a hunting based scenario you'd be able to get these folks on board.

What my idea is behind this is helping HUNTERS hone there skill and interact with other hunter while doing it, lose the whole "sniper" persona and just go shoot, get better, meet people you normally wouldn't and make friends. There probably wouldn't be big price money, maybe some prizes from sponsors and alittle money to the top guys. Make it affordable (not $450 to enter a match) and have some fun doing it. This is just an idea and along ways away from getting something set in stone but I just thought I would throw out the idea and see what kind of response I would get.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts