EOL shooting form

obviously it is not conventional shooting form.when I was a school kid we had a indoor range right downtown in our one horse town.Would not even know pop. then 5000?But shooting is part of MT. We shot 4 position small bore, club is still going strong and includes air and pistol now.When I was 11 , I was at pro marksman level. It was a great way to grow up.And that training helps you as a hunter.

I have watched their show and this stuck out to me as well. Like others have mentioned a lot of practicing one way and being consistent will make many shooting styles work. Having said that, I personally think there are potential faults with their style of shooting that make it difficult to maintain the utmost in consistency in the LR game.

As an example, I go back to my early years of shooting when I realized that the way the gun recoils off the bags makes a difference in POI at distance. I could do everything correctly but have my bags setup so there was a bit of a slope to the bag underneath the stock and at recoil the gun would slide down the slope of the bag just a bit. Once I figured that out I was amazed at how my groups shrunk.

I think the same principal is going to apply to putting your hand on the scope. How can you ensure that you are applying the same pressure to the scope at the same spot on the scope at the same downward angle? This may seem like minor details but I think in the LR game they would make a difference.

One of the reasons that heavy guns shoot better at LR is because the weight of the gun has the mass to better overcome any outside forces that are applied to the gun upon firing, from the shooter or bag setup etc. Especially considering that the EOL guns are built to be accurate LR shooters in a lightweight carry setup I think consistency of form would be even more important.

Not trying to bash their show or success at all. Just suggesting that guys looking for a shooting style should use something that is as repeatable at all positions and situations as possible.

Scot E.

Ditto, thats why guys that shoot bench and free recoil, or some form of it take out variables w/ weight and forends as wide as a Hummers stance.

Scott, that is a good post and correct. SP6x6 I agree with you also and with your experience you know. I have not seen their show because we do not get the channel.

The way I shoot for most consistency is to use my free hand for pressure on the bag under the butt off the stock. I shoot prone long range in the field and this method allows me to steady the rifle for long range shots in any situation when I do not have a bag. I can actually anchor the butt of the stock into the top of my fist for long shots when neccesary as if I had a rear bag. I do not touch the top of the rifle or scope for any reason because of the adverse pressure I may put on it to change poi at long range. I undersatnd that everyone has there system and if you do it exactly the same every time with the same pressure you get the same results. This is just my personal style and it works for me.

Yeah I might pick fun a little here and there but who is to argue with this couple's, the Davidson brothers, or others like Thompson Long Range (that sent me one of their videos) successes. From what I can tell the hosts of EOL don't seem to use bipods and shoot over their pack from the episodes I've seen. From what I remember of the NightForce and Berger commercials they are in, he is shooting with a front and rear rest (bag?) off a bench. I've seen Mike Davidson of Long Range Pursuit recommend to people position your body at an angle behind the rifle and not in line with it, says to keep your chest off the ground and keep your heart beat from interfering. In the video from Thompson LR he recommends using a taller bipod and laying on your pack. Now this can be utilized to get up over vegetation, but he says to support your chest and keep your elbows off the ground. I'm one of those guys that say the closer to the ground the more stable, but in a hunting situation unless you set up your own ambush site it's very rarely perfect conditions to lay low prone with a rear bag settled straight behind the rifle. After getting my drops from prone with a bipod/sand-sock I like to shoot from alternates. Maybe that's what these folks have going for them, shooting from what some of us consider less then ideal positions/rests. I'll give them one thing, they make it look easy.

Ditto, thats why guys that shoot bench and free recoil, or some form of it take out variables w/ weight and forends as wide as a Hummers stance.

A great number of the better bench rest competitors shoot a tight hold. Free recoil is still used, but not exclusively by any means.

Theory and practical application don't always coincide. Try shooting in unconventional positions and from an "unnatural" lie, get back on target for a second shot while using any of the ultra rounds, and then decide for yourself if this technique is no good.

I have shot with him quite a bit and can not fault the results.

HEY,I am a hunter to the core, I have had some type of formal training in rifle,pistol, and archery. I can hold my own. I have shot with many "target'' type shooters , record setters , and I can hold my own in any hunting situation. My trophys speak for themselves. I grew up behind a rifle,then a bow in Montana,As for what I see85% of what is out there. A lot of the hunts are raised deer on private ground, SA in fenced, and guided on private access. The minority is fair chase type application, and if it is it is a $10,000 trophy fee for ELK @ the spot. I know because I hunt next to these type places in MT. I wont have the trophy room of your sponsored hunter, but I could achieve that with my bow if I had the funds. Ps 2 of my friends w/world record bench records shoot modified free recoil,not a tight hold.

A great number of the better bench rest competitors shoot a tight hold. Free recoil is still used, but not exclusively by any means.

Theory and practical application don't always coincide. Try shooting in unconventional positions and from an "unnatural" lie, get back on target for a second shot while using any of the ultra rounds, and then decide for yourself if this technique is no good.

I have shot with him quite a bit and can not fault the results.

So is that why he does it, to help keep the sight picture on a heavy recoiling gun?

Scot E.

Last edited:
HEY,I am a hunter to the core, I have had some type of formal training in rifle,pistol, and archery. I can hold my own. I have shot with many "target'' type shooters , record setters , and I can hold my own in any hunting situation. My trophys speak for themselves. I grew up behind a rifle,then a bow in Montana,As for what I see85% of what is out there. A lot of the hunts are raised deer on private ground, SA in fenced, and guided on private access. The minority is fair chase type application, and if it is it is a $10,000 trophy fee for ELK @ the spot. I know because I hunt next to these type places in MT. I wont have the trophy room of your sponsored hunter, but I could achieve that with my bow if I had the funds. Ps 2 of my friends w/world record bench records shoot modified free recoil,not a tight hold.

I have just one last comment then I think enough has been said, my Uncle's World Record for the smallest group ever shot (.009) still stands. The rifle and the target hang in my facility. I do know. Thing or two about benchrest.

ok ok What type of recoil form did he shoot:D:D And congrats uncle, by the way, LUV your rifles

To be honest I don't remember, but I am sure it was one or the other.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.