EOL shooting form

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by pyroducksx3, Jan 28, 2012.

1. pyroducksx3

pyroducksx3 Well-Known Member

So I was watching some of the extreme outer limits tv trailers on YouTube and I noticed they place their off hand on top of the scope, why? As far as I have been able to gather there are two mainstream positions, using the sling wrapped and hand on forend or gripping a bag or fist under the butt of rifle. Just seemed odd to me being it is a longrange shooting series

2. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

He doesnt want that 300 ultra to give him a head ache:D

3. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

I have tried this and believe it or not, it seems to be effective for me! I can honestly say I grouped better!

4. 6.5Express

6.5Express Well-Known Member

Using my off hand on top of the scope, to me, feels more natural. Especially shooting off a front rest with a rifle that doesn't have a big bench rest type fore end.

5. pyroducksx3

pyroducksx3 Well-Known Member

I woud think it would be harder to steady yourself or/get on target. I like using the rear bag so I can squeeze or relax the bag to get perfectly on target. It seems it would be harder to get your rear support just right without the ability to make those finesse adjustments but maybe I should try it.

6. McMillan

McMillan <strong>Official Sponsor of LRH</strong>

My personal experience is that in a real life hunting situation it is much more comfortable than trying to hold the forend of the rifle with your palm facing up when shooting from the prone position. Pinching a rear bag, if you have one, works well when you are shooting off a bench or lying on a flat well groomed surface and shooting on a flat range. Any inclination either up or down, or any tough position you may have to shoot from makes using a rear pinch bag difficult. Besides, getting back on the target after recoil becomes much easier when you actually have ahold of the rifle with both hands.

7. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

You want to practice same form that you use hunting, or risk change point of impact, further more critical .

8. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Because that's how the "Pro's" like Bob Beck (A Land Developer) and his wife Chris Beck (a small business owner who took up the sport of hunting with Bob nearly 3 ½ years ago while traveling along on many of his western big game hunts) do it! Lol

I'm just being a little facetious, and have nothing better to do while playing insomniac.

9. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

I talked with Bob and Chris at the shot show and they were both very nice and informative but I have not seen them shoot. I enjoyed chatting with them about hunting and shooting. My wife is a police dispatcher and last year took two animals over 500 yards one shot and down. My son is a teenager and has been shooting on a 1000 yard range since he was eight and taken several animals long range. Few of us make our living as profesional shooters but many of us can shoot. I am a retired profesional shooter but I shot rockets instead of rifles profesionaly.

10. Bravo 4

Part of my job description is to be a professional shooter, but I don't get to pull the trigger a fraction of what I should be, actually for a couple months. Government cutbacks and shortages.
    All it boils down to is me being jealous of just some random dude having my dream job, I'm man enough to admit to that!:D.

11. Bravo 4

So does this mean you are really a Long Time Rocket Ranger?:D

12. Dano1

Dano1 Well-Known Member

Man, this is some funny stuff!!!

I've never placed my hand on my scope while shooting, but I've used my hand as a wedge under the butt of my rifle to steady it while shooting prone in the field. I'm guessing that finding what works best for you is the key to practical accurate shooting in the field. Ideally I'd like to pack a rear bag with me, but that has never been practical.

Dan

13. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

We did shoot long range rockets in my line of work.

14. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

Don't know why, but my Winchester Mod.70 .243 WSSM definitely shoots better groups when holding down on the scope. I have seen two people screw "U" shaped screen door handles to the bottom of their forearms to pull down on to get their WSSMs to group better and that worked too.

joseph