New Elite 4200 6-24x40 Use Instructions

mtymse63

I am new to long range shooting/hunting. I recently acquired a Remington VLS .243 and I purchased a Bushnell 4200 6-24x40 scope with the front parallax adjustment and smaller elevation and windage turrets.

I bought the scope new from a local sporting good shop. The model reads 42-6244M. I'm OK with the front adjustment as I am a lefty and the side focus of the new models felt uncomfortable. I had the scope mounted on Warne 2-piece base and rings.

Unfortunately, the small instruction manual is pretty much worthless. I was hoping it would walk me through the steps for zeroing out the turrets and also provide directions on how to use the turrets (i.e. - set up to zero and the "2" on the turret equal 200 yrs, "4" equal 400 yrds. etc.).

I would eventually like to be able to punch paper out to 600-800 yards, is this scope going to help to "dial in" the range by using clicks on the turrets?

Does anyone have instructions or know where I can get concise instructions for the beginner for this scope?

Thank you.

mtymsg63,**** You can find a good manual at the following link;

http://www.bushnell.com/customer_service/manuals/riflescopes/Elite_Riflescope_Manual.pdf

I went to Bushnell's website and looked up your scope and got the owner/operator manual and looked it over. It's a good scope, for sure, but I don't think you're going to be able to "dial" it up and down as quickly as you had hoped for.* Most of the scopes that are designed for this type of adjusting have bigger knobs with easier to read markings.
Once you get your rifle/scope zeroed at your desired distance with the ammo you intend to use, then you can "zero" out your elevation/windage turrets. You do this by loosening the two small screws on the finger adjustments of the turrets. I would hold the knob with two fingers of one hand while the other hand (with small Philips screwdriver) loosens the two screws. You don't want it to rotate while loosening the screws. Once they're loose then you can reset them to "0". If, after that you make any adjustments, you can go back to your 100yd zero by simply rotating the turrets back to "0".
It can get confusing at this point for the novice trying to taking it all in and also for the one's trying to explain it who have been doing it a while. Check this out;
Mil-dots and Minutes-of-angle - From a Technical Perspective. Read up and ask more questions. JohnnyK.

JohnnyK - Thanks for your help. I pulled up the users manual on the link you send and it appears to be the same as the small booklet included with the scope. A couple of odd things:

1. My turret do not have the 2 screws they mention to loosen up for zeroing out your turret. They actually have 1 large thumb screw which i was able to get off and see how to zero out the scope.

2. My scope does not indicate anywhere whether it is 1/8" or 1/4" MOA adjustment as the manual states it should.

Once I zero out my scope say at 100 yards zero. Do you think it will be a "trial and error" gig so I can see how much I will need to dial up for higher yardages? I guess I probably need to find out whether this is a 1/8 or 1/4 MOA to help me out? Bushnell refers to the the turrets as "semi-target turrets" I wonder what they mean by that?

Thanks again for your help and I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow when I get to finally shoot my set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.