New-Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 Tactical?

RockZ

There has been alot of talk about this scope on snipershide. Just wondering if any of you guys have tried it out and what your thoughts were. It is part number 426245T.
Snipershide

I purchased one today, couldn't be happier with the fit, looks, and design. Nice clicks, smooth side focus and power. It will be a couple weeks before it gets shot.

Only find it in "mil dot" and the mil dots look hokey?? As between + and first dot looks different than between the dots???

Also I bet the reticle is NOT in the first focal plane i.e., doesn't change size as power is varied??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Roy, I was interested in this scope, but this "Hokey" stuff
has me worried.
Concerning the ret. not being in the first focal plane, wouldn't that be the case for Nikon & Burris as well? I thought I could have a chart taped to the stock with 2 columns, 1 for the Mil-Dot setting, (probably about 12X) & another for 24X, & click-up for more than 600 yards, but maybe not. The lower powers would be for shooting out to 300 anyway. Am I wrong?

The 4200
Elite is calibrated at 12 power meaning at 24 power the spacing is 1/2 mill.............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't know about a lot of talk but to a few users it showed well.

Quote from Bushy website "Light him up. With the world's brightest riflescope, you're equipped to do so in the dimmest conditions. The fully multi-coated optics deliver an amazing 95% light transmission at 550NM."

I've never seen this scope so I can't comment on it. However that's a bold statement when other companies have 98 & 99% light transmissions on their scopes. One way to get a lot brightness is to cut down on the number of lenses in the scope, but there are trade offs in clarity.

It sounds like a great scope for the money. It's probably a great range and hunting scope. But how rugged is it and can it take a beating and still perform is the real question. During my last field stalk, I dragged (pulled and pushed) my GAP rifle and US optics scope across a dry creek bed. No issues solid performance out of both. However my partner's luepy went tits up.

As for leupys, they are strictly making it on there name now and that can only last so long. Products are way over priced, poor glass, poor performance and customer service is slanting downward.

Give bushy a try...what's the worst that can happen?

Roy,
I think you better get your mildot calibrater recalibrated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The reticle is a plain-jane mildot version of the mildot reticle in my opinion.

I shot the scope a lot yesterday on one of my older .308 rifles and it tracked nicely, had 45 moa of elevation from top to bottom and 45moa of windage from side to side. Let a couple of young guys try it, one guy proceeded to put four consecutive shots into just under 0.75" - at 200 yards. Scope was on 16 power, it provides a very sharp image at 16, gets a bit duller at 24, you can see a significant difference in light transmittion. Still sharp enough to shoot but not tacky and bright compared to down a bit.

Shot a group of five shots at 6x then cranked it to 24x and five more - all same POI. Clicks are sharp, bit of a wander in sharpness at the extremes but still good - by wander I mean they seemed to get a bit lighter.

Got to watch the barrel contour of your rifle - that fifty mm front-end is bulky, got to have at least mediums or better for rings, even on a Near or Badger rail.

Same turret handles as used on the 10X 3200 Tactical I believe, look and operate the same, easy to zero-up after you shoot your 100 zero.

Side turret works nicely, fast focus eyepiece snaps the reticle into focus.

Back to Roy, who in hell needs first reticle plane scopes - haven't you heard about laser rangefinders /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif First plane scopes give me the vapors - **** recticals get too big, most of the suckers are metric, what in hell is a centimeter?? Three clicks to a meter or something like that, I prefer inches and quarter moa clicks.

Getting back to the 4200 - everybody who has seen it wants to buy it. That tells you somethin'.

Ian

I emailed you regarding the pics you sent me. Thanks
I noticed you had a 20-30 MOA base, but can you tell me which angle you had? Also with that base how far can you shoot with it without running out of MOA and the same goes for how close can you be without running out?
Forgot to ask. What caliber is it on? Me it's to put on a .223, so I need to know what kind of base I will need.

That was a M-70 push-feed in .308 Win. with a Near Mfg base I think, believe it is 20 moa but might be 25. Rings are Badgers, again I don't know exactly which ones but probably standard height. The rifle zeroed at 100 yards about dead-nuts center, so I lose a bunch of elevation - only a bit over twenty moa so that will get me out to 700 yards with the ammo I shoot. Maybe higher rings would help.
Hopefully those scopes will soon be available in Canada.

[ QUOTE ]
That was a M-70 push-feed in .308 Win. with a Near Mfg base I think, believe it is 20 moa but might be 25. Rings are Badgers, again I don't know exactly which ones but probably standard height. The rifle zeroed at 100 yards about dead-nuts center, so I lose a bunch of elevation - only a bit over twenty moa so that will get me out to 700 yards with the ammo I shoot. Maybe higher rings would help.
Hopefully those scopes will soon be available in Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. Helps a lot. But makes me a bit sad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif at the same time, cause I was thinking of getting the other version 6-24x40mm cause it's more compact and only 13" long, but it only has a total of 26 MOA Adjustment range in both directions compared to your 50 MOA. That really sucks./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif To make sure of this I called Bushnell in the US and Canada and they both told me the same thing. Wonder how far I could reach with a 20-30 MOA Base with the 40mm version? If I can't get to 700 yrds, then I'd have to get your version even if it's big for what I want to do. Wonder if your version would be big on the CZ Varmint .223??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif As said before it's going to get abused.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.