New cva accura

I purchased a .45 cal LRX about 18 months back. Started out with the powerbelt ELR's. Best I could achieve was about a 3" inch group at 100. Tried saboted bullets, the same. tried sized to bore Fury's with same results. Using BH209. Bore was overbore and felt rough. Forearm piece was off center and pressing on one side of the barrel. Remedied that with no improvement. Never did use the collapsible rod as I have a range rod and never got close to ever carrying it in the field. Spoke with CVA and they said return it. It ended up getting buried behind my other projects and forgotten in the safe.

Some shooter's report that the ramrod on the barrel reduces accuracy. I have an Accura LR and I decided to take the ramrod out and keep it in my pack. It is too long as a one piece, so I took a shotgun cleaning rod and got an adapter from Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies and cut the ramrod down to the perfect size. I rethreaded the handle end and put the handle back on. Some people think they need a quick second shot, but I have seldom needed one, and usually don't get a chance if I did need one.

Some people believe that the 209 primer will move the bullet down the barrel before the powder is fully lit, which affects accuracy. The rifle primers are hotter, but less powerful, which is supposed to cure that issue. I shoot 300 and 400 gr. bullets, so it made no noticeable difference for me.

I have a newer Accura MRX in 50 cal purchased at the start of the 2023 season . It is by far the best inline ML I have ever had, except that the Chinese scope is pure crap. The action is tight and can be re-tightened as needed. I believe they use a Trigger Tech single stage trigger that is one of the best out there. After unimpressive results with a couple of different Powerbelts, the best bullet I have tried is the Hornady 290gr Bore Driver. Haven't been able to chronograph it yet, but the max charge of 84gr BH209 WITH the Vari Flame LR primer setup shoots like a dream. I haven't stretched it out yet because of where I hunt, but at 50 yds I'm getting 0.75" all day long. There was also an unexpected gift from Hornady for this rifle. My bore slugs 0.499" and the Hornady 0.500" 300gr 50 cal bullets for 50 Beowulf or 500S&W pistol without the skirt (50 cal FTX #50102) and no sabot shot to the same point of aim with identical accuracy as the Bore Driver, at about half the cost. In my rifle, this unskirted, cup and core bullet is about half the price of the 290gr Bore Driver. Loading the Bore Driver or the unskirted FTX bullet is a perfect slip fit with a fraction of the effort needed to seat a saboted pistol bullet. Feels most like a properly fitted Thor monometal bullet at a fraction of the cost. I shot a small buck behind the shoulder at 50 yards broadside using the Bore Driver with a silver dollar sized exit hole and no bullet blow up with the 84gr by weight load. Easy loading, great accuracy, solid construction, low price. YMMV, but I'm sold on either bullet with this combination. There will ne'er be another Powerbelt down the bore of this rifle as long as I'm shooting it. Both of these cup and core jacketed Hornady .50 cal bullets were a great combination for me.

I have a newer Accura MRX in 50 cal purchased at the start of the 2023 season . It is by far the best inline ML I have ever had, except that the Chinese scope is pure crap. The action is tight and can be re-tightened as needed. I believe they use a Trigger Tech single stage trigger that is one of the best out there. After unimpressive results with a couple of different Powerbelts, the best bullet I have tried is the Hornady 290gr Bore Driver. Haven't been able to chronograph it yet, but the max charge of 84gr BH209 WITH the Vari Flame LR primer setup shoots like a dream. I haven't stretched it out yet because of where I hunt, but at 50 yds I'm getting 0.75" all day long. There was also an unexpected gift from Hornady for this rifle. My bore slugs 0.499" and the Hornady 0.500" 300gr 50 cal bullets for 50 Beowulf or 500S&W pistol without the skirt (50 cal FTX #50102) and no sabot shot to the same point of aim with identical accuracy as the Bore Driver, at about half the cost. In my rifle, this unskirted, cup and core bullet is about half the price of the 290gr Bore Driver. Loading the Bore Driver or the unskirted FTX bullet is a perfect slip fit with a fraction of the effort needed to seat a saboted pistol bullet. Feels most like a properly fitted Thor monometal bullet at a fraction of the cost. I shot a small buck behind the shoulder at 50 yards broadside using the Bore Driver with a silver dollar sized exit hole and no bullet blow up with the 84gr by weight load. Easy loading, great accuracy, solid construction, low price. YMMV, but I'm sold on either bullet with this combination. There will ne'er be another Powerbelt down the bore of this rifle as long as I'm shooting it. Both of these cup and core jacketed Hornady .50 cal bullets were a great combination for me.
I have never thought about trying bullets from my 500SW in my Accura. I have more than I would ever shoot out of the hand cannon. My only concern would be blow by without the bore driver.

I have never thought about trying bullets from my 500SW in my Accura. I have more than I would ever shoot out of the hand cannon. My only concern would be blow by without the bore driver.
Slug your barrel. No kidding. The bullets are .500" on the screws. If your bore diameter is .498-.499, you should be good. I was surprised myself, but they work.

Last edited:
I have a CVA Optima v2, LR. I purchased the vari-flame press, and adaptors earlier last year, only to find out the plug was on back order. So, the plug finally showed up, Ioaded the adaptors with 215GMM primers. I'm here to tell you, that thing is a beast now. It has always been very accurate, but the report now is like a 300wm. I'm shooting 79 grains , weighed which works out 115 grains by volume. With the Barnes 250 Expander, she's nasty. That Var-flame kit is worth it's weight in gold.

I have a CVA Optima v2, LR. I purchased the vari-flame press, and adaptors earlier last year, only to find out the plug was on back order. So, the plug finally showed up, Ioaded the adaptors with 215GMM primers. I'm here to tell you, that thing is a beast now. It has always been very accurate, but the report now is like a 300wm. I'm shooting 79 grains , weighed which works out 115 grains by volume. With the Barnes 250 Expander, she's nasty. That Var-flame kit is worth it's weight in gold.
Any idea what MV you're getting now?

Any idea what MV you're getting now?
No I, haven't shot it through the Lab Radar
I'm thinking 1900-2000 range. There is marked difference in report, and recoil as well. I think 84 grains by weight is 120 by volume. Mine has the 28 inch barrel, so that helps a little. She's not fun to shoot from a bench many times. But I love her! Deer, not so much.🦌

No I, haven't shot it through the Lab Radar
I'm thinking 1900-2000 range. There is marked difference in report, and recoil as well. I think 84 grains by weight is 120 by volume. Mine has the 28 inch barrel, so that helps a little. She's not fun to shoot from a bench many times. But I love her! Deer, not so much.🦌
I bet you're more than that. I'm getting 2280 from my MRX, 83 Grains by weight and the 285 Powerbelt. Your charge is higher than mine with a lighter bullet and longer barrel. I'd love to find out what you're getting!!

I bet you're more than that. I'm getting 2280 from my MRX, 83 Grains by weight and the 285 Powerbelt. Your charge is higher than mine with a lighter bullet and longer barrel. I'd love to find out what you're getting!!
Yeah, it could be 2100 ish, the 250 barnes is very accurate, I just wish it would bleed more. I shot one through the lungs this year, she ran off, no blood. Finally, we heard a splash, as she jumped in the pond. We fished her out. Exit wound was stuffed with lung.
Second time that's happened. I'm going for shoulder shots next year to see how that works.

Ps, I don't know the speed yet, but 2 years ago, I shot a spike at 190 yards. Gun is zero at 150. I held up on backing, and hit him upper rib cage, double lunged, ran 30 yards, no blood, but cavity was full. Exit hole is huge.

I shot a Coues deer at 307 yards with mine last year. Was devastating. Exit hole was size of a tennis ball. Buck did a back flip and rolled the slope about 30 yards. Gun is crazy accurate.

I would think your MV is over 2300 but who knows.

I shot a Coues deer at 307 yards with mine last year. Was devastating. Exit hole was size of a tennis ball. Buck did a back flip and rolled the slope about 30 yards. Gun is crazy accurate.

I would think your MV is over 2300 but who knows.
I have had several DRT, but those off side lung staffers haven't got me a few times. All 3 were recovered, but don't know if I wa m t to explore another bullet. Or use different aim points. Great shot on the clues!

Ps, you could be right on the mv.

Recent Posts