New coyote rifle build?

Stick with your 22-243, use the 95g smk. The 95g smk is a .600 .bc. the 110 smk in 6mm is .618. You will be able to push the 95g faster than you will the 110g, so the .bc difference is negligible. The 95g smk will beat out all but the 110 in 6mm so the answer is pretty clear.

What JMW67 said. I've had great results with a 6.5CM shooting the Sierra 130g Gamechanger at 2850fps, but I've decided to dedicate that rifle to a medium game role exclusively. My new build will probably be in .243AI designed around the 95-105g bullets for ringing steel and plugging coyotes out to 1000ish yards. Still debating twist, but 1:8 or 1:8.5 seems to be the sweet spot. Easy to run factory ammo through it and get a custom fire-formed case in return.

Last edited:
What JMW67 said. I've had great results with a 6.5CM shooting the Sierra 130g Gamechanger at 2850fps, but I've decided to dedicate that rifle to a medium game role exclusively. My new build will probably be in .243AI designed around the 95-105g bullets for ringing steel and plugging coyotes out to 1000ish yards. Still debating twist, but 1:8 or 1:8.5 seems to be the sweet spot. Easy to run factory ammo through it and get a custom fire-formed case in return.

go 1:7.5 for the 6.Give you better stability on long bullets

I sell the hides on the carcass. Holes blown through the sides don't usually matter much.

zr600 , have you ever put up pelts ? There is a difference between pelts and hides and all of the fur buyers I 've sold to dock for holes in your pelts . When you need to make all the money you can from your pelts putting it up and sewing up the holes or not making big holes might make the difference between making a living and going broke .

I run a 105 Hyb in my 24" 1:7.5" 6CM @ 3101fps over H4350. Can get up to 3200, but even with Lapua SRP brass, I wonder how long it would last.
I have made 1st round hits on coyotes from 40 to out past 1100, and the 105 works well out to that distance.
As much as I am not a 6.5CM fan (just because of all the hype), I do love my 6CM. When I built mine, not much brass availability for the 6XC. So I went 6CM. Wanted a bit more oomph over 6x47L for a long range coyote rifle. But, I have also used it on pronghorn and a buddy's kid's mule deer hunt too. Worked like a champ.

Nope never have put them up. I'm not making a living off selling them. I have thought about putting them up but just haven't done it yet. I know I get docked a little but I have been happy with my prices I have been getting. We get a lot of long range shots more long shots then close shots. Our dogs have a lot of pressure.

I went down this road 5 or so years ago. I initially wanted a 22 caliber, but since shots are pretty long here I decided the 6mm caliber would fit the bill better. I ended up with a 243 AI shooting the 87 grain V max.
If I were going to do it again today I would go 6mm Creedmoor or 25 Creedmoor. I would do the 6 creed for simplicity and the 25 creed because I think the 131 is a sweet bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.