New Build, just another 300WM

Yes, thank you. Learned a few tricks. He works fast, but precise, not sure for myself whether I can attain that kind of speed in chambering. Nor, would I want to be for being just a hobbyist.
"Slow is Smooth-Smooth is Fast" or Accurate. There is no reason to rush a Chamber Cut especially if you have your own Lathe. See if you can pick up some shot out barrels and use them to practice on. I have "Shadowed" some top machinist with manual and hybrid CNC Lathes and it's still a slow process. Indicating & set up is really important along with checking everything twice before any cut.
It's like an Artist Painting Masterpiece and having fun doing it!
You have a really nice lathe so you be able to chamber your own rifles and it makes shooting them more enjoyable since you made it.

"Slow is Smooth-Smooth is Fast" or Accurate. There is no reason to rush a Chamber Cut especially if you have your own Lathe. See if you can pick up some shot out barrels and use them to practice on. I have "Shadowed" some top machinist with manual and hybrid CNC Lathes and it's still a slow process. Indicating & set up is really important along with checking everything twice before any cut.
It's like an Artist Painting Masterpiece and having fun doing it!
You have a really nice lathe so you be able to chamber your own rifles and it makes shooting them more enjoyable since you made it.
Thank you for the input, spot on.

Special order lathe from Liang Dei in Taiwan, took over a year to get. Identical to the Eisen 1440EV. Replaced my SBL16 with it. Sold that one to the friend who helped me drive to see M Bryant.

The 1st lathes I had and still have are: Jet belt drive 1024, ATrump 1236, all Taiwan made. Used these plus the SBL 16 for barrel work, along with a BP Variable Speed. I have a 4th lathe, 9x20 used to turn necks.

Resized_20200329_222205.jpeg
Resized_20170127_091709_145148453913847.jpeg
Screenshot_20200401-081448_Photos.jpg
20161204_224154001.jpeg
Resized_20180116_070008.jpeg

20220305_014726.jpg

Yes, practicing on drops and shot out barrels helped me a lot since 2015 when I acquired the machines. Since then, I've chambered close to 200 barrels.

Even after these years I still pursue excellence through continuous education. Besides, I wanted a true custom made rifle, with a name recognitiom attached to it.

Last edited:

Special order lathe from Liang Dei in Taiwan, took over a year to get. Identical to the Eisen 1440EV. Replaced my SBL16 with it. Sold that one to the friend who helped me drive to see M Bryant.

The 1st lathes I had and still have are: Jet belt drive 1024, ATrump 1236, all Taiwan made. Used these plus the SBL 16 for barrel work, along with a BP Variable Speed. I have a 4th lathe, 9x20 used to turn necks.

View attachment 378717View attachment 378718View attachment 378719View attachment 378720View attachment 378721
View attachment 378723

Yes, practicing on drops and shot out barrels helped me a lot since 2015 when I acquired the machines. Since then, I've chambered close to 200 barrels.

Even after these years I still pursue excellence through continuous education. Besides, I wanted a true custom made rifle, with a name recognitiom attached to it.
Really like that Bridgeport Mill! With the amount of barrels you turned you should have no problem with chambering an accurate barrel.

Really like that Bridgeport Mill! With the amount of barrels you turned you should have no problem with chambering an accurate barrel.

Thank you.

Just for the TX Juniors high power team alone I do 20 barrels a year for them. The mill with the super spacer is handy when drilling/reaming gas ports and cuting the alignment pad 180 out from gas port for ease of gas block alignment.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Just for the TX Juniors high power team alone I do 20 barrels a year for them. The mill and the super spacer is handy when drilling/reaming gas ports and cuting the alignment pad 180 out from gas port for ease of gas block alignment.
I was almost going to mention the TX Juniors and you turning barrel for them. We PMd or talked about it last year.
Thanks
Len

Well, the build is done.

We made it to Wheeler, TX Sunday early evening, dropped off the parts and headed to the motel. Went back Monday at 0800 at Mike's shop. He started right away and finished the chamber and timed the Ti Pro 3 (3/4x24) at about 1130.

View attachment 378694View attachment 378695View attachment 378696

We went on a long lunch and came back at around 1330. Inletted the barrel channel to accommodate the M40 Bartlein CW 10T barrel. Then proceeded to bed the rifle.

View attachment 378699View attachment 378698View attachment 378697

As the rifle was set on the bedding and started to cure, he started on another rifle for an out of state customer. He finished and boxed it by 1700.

He cleaned up and grabbed a 223 bolt gun and a 22LR bolt gun and he took us to their family 3000 acre spread to shoot some Prairie dogs. There weren't any for the most as he dumped some 500 pounds of stuff in those holes to eradicate them. This is the icing of the trip, 1st time for me shoot at pdogs. I did not expect the treat.

He drove us around till we found one. Shot it. Drove some more and shot a couple more. That was about the dogs we found.

View attachment 378679View attachment 378680View attachment 378681

Next page...
Wheeler? You had too be lost 🤔 🥴 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 ;). That put you down the road from me (40 miles).

View attachment 378717View attachment 378718View attachment 378719View attachment 378720View attachment 378721
View attachment 378723

I got my toolmaker's certificate in June of 1978. I couldn't miss saying something about the Bridgeport Vertical Mill. You have some very impressive machines. And it sounds like you have done some impressive work on them as well. Congratulations on getting the new build.

I got my toolmaker's certificate in June of 1978. I couldn't miss saying something about the Bridgeport Vertical Mill. You have some very impressive machines. And it sounds like you have done some impressive work on them as well. Congratulations on getting the new build.

Thank you so much for the kind words. On the build, and trip to see an old friend and pick his brains on some of the whys in chambering, not just the hows, is well worth it. I retired from the semiconductor industry where continuous improvement is the mantra. I apply the same drive in my hobbies

Though I retired in 2011 I never operated any machines till 2015; and it has been an awesome journey.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity what made you decide to stick with 300 win mag over something like a 300 prc. Also what reamer did you use and what bullet was it throated for?

Looks like a laser from the few shots takin already!
Great write up!

Just out of curiosity what made you decide to stick with 300 win mag over something like a 300 prc. Also what reamer did you use and what bullet was it throated for? Looks like a laser from the few shots takin already! Great write up!

Thank you, great question.

The 6 shots fired is not the end all of load work, nor it is a conclusion of rifle's precision. However, all things considered it looks very promising and the system may just have the potential to sustain the initial performance. It is a hunting rifle, all my future testing up to 1000 yards will be based on 3 shot groups. I joke around with friends that 2 shots test the rifle, 3 shots test the shooter..

My service rifle loads final test is 25 shots in 25 minutes.

I have enough FGMM 190 SMKs to burn up a barrel. I have a 50 caliber can full of 1X fired FGMM brass. Besides the 2 boxes of Peterson long 300WM.

My FGMM stash alone is enough for me to stick to 300WM. I have a Bartlein CW barreled 30 Nosler that launches 215/N570 to the next velocity node; another reason to not deal with the interim 300 PRC. I don't feel like the 300WM handicapped me in precision department.

My 2 other 300WM shoots lights out with 215/H1000 handloads and the FGMM.

Reamer wise, it is a modified A191 to accommodate both the FGMM and 215s using a Wyatts extended box.

Screenshot_20211011-140713_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited: