New build ?

sika64

What is the best action to build on ? Is the model 700 any better than the model 70 or the Savage action. Going to build a 300 wsm

You are going to need a WSM action if a 700, otherwise you are going to spend a lot of money making it work with the rails and bolt face. Plus you have the crappy remington rivited extractor.

IMO buy a custom and be happy and better quality. Otherwise go with the savage or 70 over the Remington.

Talk to your 'smith. use what he recommends and is most familiar with.
I use Remington for my own builds, have zero problems with them, and can true for less money than custom action (that need SOME work anyway), BUT get one for WSM or many feed problems.

What is the best action to build on ? Is the model 700 any better than the model 70 or the Savage action. Going to build a 300 wsm

If you hand load and want to use long heavy bullets, a Defiance XM action would give you the length you need.

Winchester 70 CRF / CZ or a mauser 98 are the ones I use for hunting rifles.

Have an interarms at McGowen now & plan on sending a CZ550 off the Kreiger this year for next seasons big game season.

Why not just buy a Savage Model 12 LPV in 300 WSM, stick a Boyd's prairie hunter stock on it and use the savings to buy better glass. I and 2 buddies each have one and they all shoot 1 inch groups at 200 yards with hand loaded 200 grain ELD-Xs. With the Boyd's stock it is a pretty well balanced hunting rig. You do have to hog out the barrel channel for the 26" varmit contour barrel but it just takes an hour or so to do that. Boyd's will tell you that they don't recommend doing the hog out but they don't know what their own stocks are capable of - it works great.

Why not just buy a Savage Model 12 LPV in 300 WSM, stick a Boyd's prairie hunter stock on it and use the savings to buy better glass. I and 2 buddies each have one and they all shoot 1 inch groups at 200 yards with hand loaded 200 grain ELD-Xs. With the Boyd's stock it is a pretty well balanced hunting rig. You do have to hog out the barrel channel for the 26" varmit contour barrel but it just takes an hour or so to do that. Boyd's will tell you that they don't recommend doing the hog out but they don't know what their own stocks are capable of - it works great.

+1

I have gone this route and I'm very happy with the results. Not specifically with a Savage 12 LPV. However, the process is the same.

It is an economical way to get a "semi-custom" that is as good at shooting but not as pretty as a full custom.

More important, unless the starter rifle has a problem or something goes very wrong, it will be ACCURATE.

I have Win 70 pre 64 std, Mauser std, Sav 110 std and mag, Rem 700 std and mag, waiting to get re barrelled.

I have opened up Mausers to magnum 4 times, that is easy enough.

I will probably only get 2 or 3 rifles built in 2016 before hunting.

Judging by past results, the Rem 700 and Sav 110 are more accurate for me, but are cheaply made guns compared to the Mausers and Winchesters.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts